Article by Rob Casey - Southampton fansonline

Wildgoose

agree it is too early to know, but I am liking everything I see and hear about him so far, very pleasantly surprised.

Think we will do much better under him than we would have done under GB or NP in similar circumstances - so hope he proves me right.

Really excited about Saturday - which is a start!

Well, personally I thought that he let down the rest of his argument within the first paragraph when he said that we had won convincingly away at Exeter. From most accounts we were rather lucky to go into half time with a lead and then survive the closing stages at 2-1. Had they equalised then instead of us scoring the penalty at the death, things could have been very different and I believe most breathed a sigh of relief.

Apart from that, IMO you could have substituted the name of Nigel Pearson and written something very similar about his attributes and wished that he too would have the chance to develop the team in his chosen direction. But when some urge continuity as the way towards stability, the recent board changes and the management changes went right in the face of that proposition.

It remains to be seen as to whether JP will be here for some time or whether he'll be gone by Christmas. It all depends on results and it is far too early to make any reasoned judgement at this stage.

agree it is too early to know, but I am liking everything I see and hear about him so far, very pleasantly surprised.

Think we will do much better under him than we would have done under GB or NP in similar circumstances - so hope he proves me right.

Really excited about Saturday - which is a start!

That's how I feel right now, quite excited by what's happening and just hoping we've got enough about us to get established in the division this season.....

I thought about posting this when i read it this morning. A sensible article. (Hence why I didn't bother - couldn't spoil SW with something sensible AGAIN, too much of that of late:-) )

I think what I would say is that JP is the right man now. He has got us up and running into a season, not saying he is the only one who could have done it, just that he HAS done it. We all know it needs tweaks, but at the MOMENT we like what we see and we think we could build on it.

& a bit like NickG wish I was going to be there Saturday, we might put on something worth watching for a change even if we don't get a result

Well, personally I thought that he let down the rest of his argument within the first paragraph when he said that we had won convincingly away at Exeter. From most accounts we were rather lucky to go into half time with a lead and then survive the closing stages at 2-1. Had they equalised then instead of us scoring the penalty at the death, things could have been very different and I believe most breathed a sigh of relief.

The scoreline does say convincing.The truth though was that to be leading half time was flattering.The second half was end to end but we nearly killed the game off with Lallanas terible miss and Holmes attempt saved.MCG then scored a greatr goal and the game was over, until Barts error.They didnt cause us any real problem though and Lallana and Gillete took the ball to the corner flag, before setting up the move that got us the pen.

1 thing that I thought Jan missed a trick onwas when Exeter scored and we got close to injury time he didnt slow the play down by bringing on a sub.

Edited by OldNick

Come on Nick; be honest. Was the Exeter game a convincing win, or is the fella wearing his rose-tinted specs?

To be fair though Wes, many on here and a cuple of other articles point out that we showed some old failings of only playing in one half of the game. If you read what is quoted in the article he does quote the JP line that he "spoke to the players at half time" which is I expect new Dutch speak for "gave them a roasting and tweaked things".

Certainly they appeared to play better in the second half and even the Vital Football Exeter guy said we showed something a bit more and he was impressed with DMG.

JP was also the one who brought on SJ and moved DMG and we did become more convincing after that.

Swallows and summers I know, but none of us are saying he is better than NP could have been - yet.

Each game at the moment it seems we are learning and talking about what we are learning or need to improve, rather than the "we were unlucky" platitudes of the GB era.

Not the finished article, more a work in progress.

The scoreline does say convincing.The truth though was that to be leading half time was flattering.The second half was end to end but we nearly killed the game off with Lallanas terible miss and Holmes attempt saved.MCG then scored a greatr goal and the game was over, until Barts error.They didnt cause us any real problem though and Lallana and Gillete took the ball to the corner flag, before setting up the move that got us the pen.

... and you were able to breathe a sigh of relief, as was the other Nick. Go on, admit it. ;) I certainly did.

... and you were able to breathe a sigh of relief, as was the other Nick. Go on, admit it. ;) I certainly did.
To be fair when we scored the 2nd the game was up, it was only a joke of a goal by them gave them a lift.In games like this once you get a 2 goal lead against lower opposition you should win comfortably, unless you are managed by Glenn Hoddle.

Personally, I like the football they are trying to play. In the financial situation, we are seeing an attempt to play good football, within an affordable scenario.

I expect an unpredictable rollercoaster of results this season. I want to see more of the football I've seen already, having said that, whilst the season depends on results, I happen to think that the way we play, is the most important thing for me.

I do however think, that if the fanbase buy into the good football and support the team, in increasing numbers, we will end up with winning more than we lose and regain our sense of identity.

Furthermore it could be the only way to move forward and even break even, in due course.

Edited by derry

To be fair when we scored the 2nd the game was up, it was only a joke of a goal by them gave them a lift.In games like this once you get a 2 goal lead against lower opposition you should win comfortably, unless you are managed by Glenn Hoddle.

Won convincingly = had the majority of the possession, played well within ourselves, had an extra gear or two in reserve, Exeter never looked like scoring.

This doesn't quite stack up against Exeter dominating the first half and having several chances to score, but we took the lead against the run of play just before half time. Then although we were much improved in the second half and scroed again, as you say we should have run out comfortable winners. But they pulled one back with sufficient time that they could have scored again and took it into extra time. Fortunately we scored again right at the death to put it beyond doubt. But what would you have anticipated as the outcome had it gone to extra time? Sod's law when it comes to the Saints would have been them winning.

Tranmere was the perfect example of us screw*ng things up, but thankfully we weren't playing the Posh again either.

Come on Nick; be honest. Was the Exeter game a convincing win, or is the fella wearing his rose-tinted specs?

I was definitely at the game and can tell you this was NOT a convincing win.

First half Exeter had four or five very clear cut chances that most CCC teams would have put away. Many of the Saints fans with me behind the goal will tell you the same. General statement was Both sides are of equal status and very hard to tell the different league positions.

It is quite clear that Saints have a long way to go and that started in the second half particularly with the wise decision to put Wotton back in defence and Spiderman reverting to his mid field position. The other main change that meant Exeter were not going to have such an easy ride was the substitution

when an experienced/wily proper centre forward ie John came on and played the role required and thereafter Mighty Mac was able to link with John/Lallana and Holmes and put serious pressure on Exeter and gradually took the game

away from them.

I am still an advocate of the youth and believe we should have had gradual intoduction of many of them last season. But they will get better and skin some teams but you will need John, Wotton, Perry,Svennson AND Davies.

I also think we will need Davis whilst Bart gains confidence.. But how and when is the question as he cmade some great saves and some very nervous

times.

We will get there but with gradual improvement overall with youth and experience as most of the youth deseve their place. The right mixture and we will do well. To be fair class told in the end particularly Lallana, Macs goal scoring ability and John for his experience etc.

exeter paper comments Express and Echo Aug 13th.

Exeter brave showing.The Grecians were the better side in the first half. Southampton came out brighter in the second.

Steve Perryman commented.Of course we were up against a classy, young and vibrant team who were quick on the break against us. After the break they had that bit of zip and power and purpose with their running. He further stated,You have just got to look at how decent their wide men were.

On the face of it, the tactics are complex and phrases like ‘let the ball do the work’ seem slightly devoid of meaning.

Made me laugh a bit, this really is football basics and not complex. The phrase let the ball do the work just means: don't run with the ball when you can pass it to someone already standing there. Not really rocket science is it.

And even although I do agree with the writer that JP's profile matches with what Saints were looking for I don't think the past two matches are any proof of that. They weren't bad results but they weren't great either, nothing can really be told from these two matches.

What I like about Poortvliet is the honest and no-nonsense way he is handling the players. When he came, he said that all players would be evaluated the same way and given the same chance, regardless of age, and that no player was too young to play if he was good enough. We've heard that sort of thing before, but he really is playing younger players, and getting (so far) an exciting and promising form of football out of them. Players who did not have the right attitude (Dyer for a while, Viafara, Skacel) were kept away from the first team and told they could either change their attitude and work their way back into contention, or leave. Result: the players know where they stand, that there will be no nonsense tolerated, and that past reputation will not get you playing, but present performance only.

What's not to like about all that? It won't matter in the end if we don't win games; but I think there are wins in this team the way Poortvliet has got them playing, so I'm upbeat about the new coaching system so far.

Don't agree with this statement at all !

I dont think he did, just that it all looks promising at the moment - which is true IMO. I really hope it works out, for all our sakes.

er the article is called Why Jan's the man to take Saints forward

1 thing that I thought Jan missed a trick onwas when Exeter scored and we got close to injury time he didnt slow the play down by bringing on a sub.

i agree with that, i dont think we were convincing by any means against exeter , and in both games we have given to many chances away so i think we will have a really bad defensive record again this season

Well written piece but today will give a good indication of whether it's correct .....last week was a huge disappointment...conceeding yet another late goal had "old Saints" written all over it .....lets hope we see the "new Saints" against the brumies today !!!