David Whelan anti semantic comments

Turkish

What do people think about his recent comments that Jewish people chase money more than anyone else?

Is he being antisemitic, stating a fact I mean you never see a poor Jew do you, or are people in a rush to offended when non was meant? I mean he says he's got hundreds of Jewish friends so he can't hate Jews can he? By the way did you know he broke his leg in a cup final once?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wigan-owner-dave-whelan-accused-8146725

Edited by Turkish

Stupid for what he said but teh outrage at everything is getting to ridiculous levels. All these holier than thou sorts on Twitter who of course never have said anything inappropriate.

Not condoning Whelan's comments in anyway.

The Labour MP copping it for chav photo. Again she's stupid but let's not pretend others haven't thought it and not just the Islington set,

Edited by whelk

It's a moronic thing to say. Whether you believe it or not, to say things like that when you are in the public eye is asking for trouble.

Kick it Out seems to be getting itself worked up into a righteous rage. They are questioning whether whelan is "fit and proper". I hope they don't morph into one of these self important, racism under every stone organisations because the work they have done previously from when they first emerged has been excellent.

have the society for black lawyers put their oar in yet?

It was very ill advised tbh, reminds me of that thread we had of the kid at matalan dressed as a monkey.

I dont think he meant to offend, he is just a complete tit. This and signing Mckay is pretty much PR suicide in any other profession, good old football. Think they've offered a contract to Ched Evans

It was very ill advised tbh, reminds me of that thread we had of the kid at matalan dressed as a monkey.

I dont think he meant to offend, he is just a complete tit. This and signing Mckay is pretty much PR suicide in any other profession, good old football. Think they've offered a contract to Ched Evans

Yeah McKay should never be given a role in football. Its just like Evans. McKay has been accused of all sorts of very inappropriate things and there is a full on investigation underway by the mighty arm of the FA. Which is not finished. And quite right too, because these accusations came from that bastion of decency Vincent Tan.

What are your thoughts on these comments, pap?

It's an interesting debate to be had. Jewish people are the richest religious group in the United States, and over-represented in the UK Parliament by a factor of eight.

However, it's entirely the wrong time, place and context to have the debate.

The irony is that the central theme, Jewish wealth, is openly discussed in Israel's own newspapers. It's fine in that new nation context. Look at how well we're doing, etc, etc.

Used here, and especially to defend Malky McKay's previous bollócks, it is not appropriate and probably a little bit dangerous. The last thing this country needs at a time when it is already "blaming the other" are the same kind of claims that were being bandied about in the 1930s, especially when people are likely to get poorer and more envious as more of the cuts kick in.

Exactly. Poorly advised and delivered from a PR point of view, but if anyone reads the full Whelan comments, he's clearly trying his best not to offend or be "anti" anything.

It's an interesting debate to be had. Jewish people are the richest religious group in the United States, and over-represented in the UK Parliament by a factor of eight.

However, it's entirely the wrong time, place and context to have the debate.

The irony is that the central theme, Jewish wealth, is openly discussed in Israel's own newspapers. It's fine in that new nation context. Look at how well we're doing, etc, etc.

Used here, and especially to defend Malky McKay's previous bollócks, it is not appropriate and probably a little bit The last thing this country needs at a time when it is already "blaming the other" are the same kind of claims that were being bandied about in the 1930s, especially when people are likely to get poorer and more envious as more of the cuts kick in.

What debate? Whilst there may be a number of rich people who happen to be Jewish, lumping all Jewish people in together and saying they chase money is ridiculous. Jewish people being overly represented in Parliament is an entirely separate issue. There is no debate about "Jews" chasing more than others, it isn't true.

What debate? Whilst there may be a number of rich people who happen to be Jewish, lumping all Jewish people in together and saying they chase money is ridiculous. Jewish people being overly represented in Parliament is an entirely separate issue. There is no debate about "Jews" chasing more than others, it isn't true.

The issue of Jewish wealth comes up time and time again and has done for centuries. The Parliamentary issue is relevant because of the vast sums spent on getting candidates selected. LFI spent 10million on this for the 2010 election.

Dave Whelan's position in the debate is that he believes all Jews chase money. After reading a single paragraph of my post, it's evident that you think I'm saying the same. That's nice.

The issue of Jewish wealth comes up time and time again and has done for centuries. The Parliamentary issue is relevant because of the vast sums spent on getting candidates selected. LFI spent 10million on this for the 2010 election.

Dave Whelan's position in the debate is that he believes all Jews chase money. After reading a single paragraph of my post, it's evident that you think I'm saying the same. That's nice.

What did you mean by "it's an interesting debate to be had." what debate?

What did you mean by "it's an interesting debate to be had." what debate?

It's not fúcking hard, hypo.

There is a debate to be had on whether certain social groups do better than others. It has been the subject of countless academic papers. The specific question of Jewish wealth is something that Israelis discuss and debate themselves.

I'd ask what your particular problem is, but it's plain for anyone with a brain to see what you are trying to do here. Give it up. You're not clever enough and I'm not prejudiced enough.

F*cking stupid thing to say, especially given who he has just hired as manager.

Typical stupid old northerner, hopefully he will get hounded out of football now.

Yep, hound him out, maybe we should throw stuff at him and daub his house. Read this, especially the full transcript of his interview with the BBC and feed your outrage even more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30139723

Edited by Bucks Saint

If anyone is interested the history behind the Jewish reputation for wealth or greed - and hence perhaps much of the basis for modern day anti-Semitism - can trace its roots back to medieval times when the Church forbade Christians from lending money for profit. Obviously Jews not being Christians were not under this restriction and so in a age when they were subject to much prejudice, and even barred from entering some professions, they found a useful niche for themselves in society.

So it seems that if the Jews are a bunch of avaricious bankers (they're not of course) it is because the Gentiles helped make them so.

If anyone is interested the history behind the Jewish reputation for wealth or greed - and hence perhaps much of the basis for modern day anti-Semitism - can trace its roots back to medieval times when the Church forbade Christians from lending money for profit. Obviously Jews not being Christians were not under this restriction and so in a age when they were subject to much prejudice, and even barred from entering some professions, they found a useful niche for themselves in society.

So it seems that if the Jews are a bunch of avaricious bankers (they're not of course) it is because the Gentiles helped make them so.

It pre-dates medieval times.

Yep, hound him out, maybe we should throw stuff at him and daub his house. Read this, especially the full transcript of his interview with the BBC and feed your outrage even more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30139723

I'm not outraged in the slightest, just think he is a c*ck for saying what he did after just hiring a racist, sexist and homophobic manager.

last time I heard jokes about jews being tight I was at school, that podgy northern ***t really has excelled himself there.

Edited by aintforever

It's not fúcking hard, hypo.

There is a debate to be had on whether certain social groups do better than others. It has been the subject of countless academic papers. The specific question of Jewish wealth is something that Israelis discuss and debate themselves.

I'd ask what your particular problem is, but it's plain for anyone with a brain to see what you are trying to do here. Give it up. You're not clever enough and I'm not prejudiced enough.

That is a completely different debate to the one raised by Whelan. He didn't say certain social groups do better than others did he. Any "seeing what I am trying to do" is just your usual paranoia or possibly a bit of guilt. You can decide which.

Edited by hypochondriac

The Guardian and Observer deliver a very affluent audience, 85% of whom are ABC1, and they are more than twice as likely to be of AB social grade. Our print reader’s average household income is £59,764, that’s 53% higher than the average GB family income. Guardian and Observer readers are also a well educated audience; 57% have a degree or doctorate qualification.

No mention of knitting yoghurt or wearing sandals Batman.

Tan needs kicking out of British football. His vendetta against MacKay and now Whelan is typical in Malaysian Business and Political circles. He will never relent. He should never have been allowed to takeover Cardiff. I hope he is the last Malaysian takeover allowed in football in this country.

That is a completely different debate to the one raised by Whelan. He didn't say certain social groups do better than others did he. Any "seeing what I am trying to do" is just your usual paranoia or possibly a bit of guilt. You can decide which.

Just seen this. Not quite up there with having a go at the bereaved or libeling people as child abusers. Softening in your old age?

As for your little conundrum, I'm not one for picking off the menu, especially when the choice is as binary and as shít as the one you've provided here. How about I just decide what I normally do. That every electron that goes to service your contributions is an example of something that shouldn't exist; destroyed energy.

Works for me.

Tan needs kicking out of British football. His vendetta against MacKay and now Whelan is typical in Malaysian Business and Political circles. He will never relent. He should never have been allowed to takeover Cardiff. I hope he is the last Malaysian takeover allowed in football in this country.

Lol

What we need is more owners like Whelan and more British managers like Malkey , who do these foreigners think they are commenting on our racist Brits?

I juat love the title of the thread-Anti-semantic

The concept of being against the meaning of words is rather interesting.

But if you read Fitzhugh Fella's writings about dock strikes, then anti-semantic could accurately describe our fishy neighbours.

Unfortunately only the bookseller would probably understand it.

He made a generalisation about Jewish people. I suspect he was trying to mean that they were astute business people in some flippant manner. In these situations, I always look at intent. The press and all those outraged seemingly don't, as otherwise I suspect that they would find no malice in his intent.

But I wonder who really is offended, and who isn't using this for political capital? There are so many more things in life to worry about than a flippant stereotype. Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will not hurt me - that is what I was taught when I was a nipper, but seemingly that has been consigned to the scrap heap. But it does seem that when it comes to the Jewish question, that we are not allowed to fart for fear of causing offence. This is personified in the way that we have to remember the Holocaust. I am not saying in any way that it should be forgotten or denied, but I wonder why we only concern ourselves with the Jewish genocide. What about the Rwandans, Belgian Congo or even the Armenian Genocide, which only 21 countries even recognise (mainly due to politics and not wanting to upset the Turks).

And the other thing I wonder about is who sets the levels for this moral indignation? Who is the arbiter of what we are allowed to say and how we have to feel?

Personally, I don't find this offensive in any way, but then I am not Jewish. Until a Jew comes out and explains why (really why) he finds it so offensive, I am afraid that I can't help but think that there is too much politics involved, lest we forget what happened in the 1940s and really, what happened in 1948 and the continued goings on in parts of Transjordan.

What happened to the Four Freedoms?

Freedom of speech amounts to being able to say what you want, on the understanding that you'll be destroyed if your speech is too free.

Freedom of worship? It really depends on where you live, but in general, no.

Freedom from want. Three words. Austerity. Austerity. Austerity.

Freedom from fear. The ruling mechanism of power since the early 2000s, expanded from mere fear of terrorist atrocity to promoting insecurity about every area of life.

FDR, we have failed you. We were fúcking shít.

This reminds me of that Roy Hodgson comment about Townsend being a monkey, in the sense that nobody was actually offended but the press felt the need to tell everybody it was a big offensive racism scandal.

All I see is an old man making lazy stereotypes. In a world where we've got busses full of people being executed because they haven't memorise the Qur'an I don't think we need to get to excitable about some old bloke in Wigan talking nonsense.

This reminds me of that Roy Hodgson comment about Townsend being a monkey, in the sense that nobody was actually offended but the press felt the need to tell everybody it was a big offensive racism scandal.

All I see is an old man making lazy stereotypes. In a world where we've got busses full of people being executed because they haven't memorise the Qur'an I don't think we need to get to excitable about some old bloke in Wigan talking nonsense.

How do you know people weren't offended? I am offended when Chinese people are called chinks. I am quite offended by the stereotyping of groups of people, be it jewish people or the way Art talks about Malaysian people as if they're all the same. People should be challenged when they make ignorant comments like this.

And just because something worse is happenng somewhere else, doesn't mean we should ignore the lesser event.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you know people weren't offended? I am offended when Chinese people are called chinks. I am quite offended by the stereotyping of groups of people, be it jewish people or the way Art talks about Malaysian people as if they're all the same. People should be challenged when they make ignorant comments like this.

And just because something worse is happenng somewhere else, doesn't mean we should ignore the lesser event.

Tolerance and not being judgemental is also accepting older people grew up with different norms. My mum still wont talk to Germans because they bombed her school and were responsible for her being evacuated away from her parents an siblings for 18 months. Im not going to challenge her and tell her shes wrong every time I see her and nor should anyone else.

Where do you stop? I'm offended by many things. I'm offended by Strictly Come Dancing. I'm offended by newsreaders with regional accents mis-pronouncing many words. I'm offended by the miserable f**ks who stare at me in first class because I don't wear a suit. I'm offended by South West Trains, Portsmouth, bad driving, bad breath, bad hair, bad dress sense, ill-behaved children, drunken women talking boll*cks, the postman dropping his elastic bands on my driveway, people who choose to drive French cars, The Sun, The Mirror, ITV, new housing estates, simply many things.

But, generally, I let it all ride. People, everyone, need to lighten up a bit. I'm not excusing out and out racism, but all this getting offended too easily (people complained about the Rugby Union advert where everyone hates the English FFS, I thought it was funny. I'm offended they pulled the ad, I don't get a voice) or on behalf of other people is just ridiculous.