Christmas present help

FloridaMarlin

Who can help me with some Christmas present ideas for my missus.

I'm plumb out of inspiration myself as she gets more difficult to buy for every year.

I wouldn't dare to presume to buy her clothes and she's not keen on jewellery.

I've done the gamut of pamper days and although in recent years I have bought her pieces of artwork, I don't think I can risk buying another.

She's not an adrenaline junky, so something like flying lessons or scuba diving are out.

She's not an animal lover so a cute puppy or other pets are out.

I'd like to get her something unusual or distinctive.

I think she'd be happy if I got her one of those things where you a buy a goat for an African family or something like that, or another form of sponsorship, but again, I'm looking for bright ideas.

Help.

I present the saviour of teenagers everywhere. This site has provided me gifts for birthdays and Christmases for the last 2 years for all family members and girlfriends.

http://www.groupon.co.uk

Lots of ideas and all cheap as chips. You get an e-card thing or ticket for the day trips or classes which you can print out and put in a fancy box for under the tree. Hope it helps!

Who can help me with some Christmas present ideas for my missus.

I'm plumb out of inspiration myself as she gets more difficult to buy for every year.

I wouldn't dare to presume to buy her clothes and she's not keen on jewellery.

I've done the gamut of pamper days and although in recent years I have bought her pieces of artwork, I don't think I can risk buying another.

She's not an adrenaline junky, so something like flying lessons or scuba diving are out.

She's not an animal lover so a cute puppy or other pets are out.

I'd like to get her something unusual or distinctive.

I think she'd be happy if I got her one of those things where you a buy a goat for an African family or something like that, or another form of sponsorship, but again, I'm looking for bright ideas.

Help.

I've got an African passport. You can send cash if it's easier, and I'll buy the goat myself.

Last Christmas I bought Mrs Stickman a Fortnum & Mason’s hamper. Now, I appreciate there will be some on here that will frown at me for buying gifts from such an establishment; suffice it to say, Mrs Stickman liked it.

A few years back I gave her something that cost me nothing – well, at least not in financial terms. I brought back a section of sycamore tree from a chainsaw course I’d attended; allowed it to season for a year or so; sawed, chiselled, sandpapered and polished it into a heart shape; drilled a hole in the top just the right diameter to take a tea-light candle; and carved a soppy inscription on the back. It took for-fucking-ever.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Halo Stickman

My wife apparently hates jewellery but those magic words Tiffany & Co. seem to have changed that. She hates gold as well which means the silver collection :) Are you in Florida as per your username? What about a weekend on Hawks Cay resort on Duck Key - they have an amazing spa and the food is good. Meet an astronaut at Kennedy (that was actually surprisingly mind blowing when we did it). If you're into art, a place on a museum tour followed by night in a s****y hotel (Miami or wherever I suppose).

One of my earliest memories of becoming a teenager (I was about 13) was my dad telling me he'd bought mum (god rest her soul) a heated ironing board for Christmas as it makes ironing easier and me thinking at the time "I'm not sure she's going to like this". The look of bemusement on the old man's face on Christmas day as she got in a mood was an absolute classic :)

A rampant rabbit seems to tick all the boxes.

Perhaps we're approaching this from the wrong angle. It's probably easier to work out what not to buy, and then not buy one of those things.

Here is a small list of things NOT to buy:-

1) Beauty book

2) Ironing board or any other bit of kit that casts your missus as house-cleaner.

3) Mínge trimmers

4) Bowling ball with "H. Simpson" engraved on it.

Perhaps we're approaching this from the wrong angle. It's probably easier to work out what not to buy, and then not buy one of those things.

Here is a small list of things NOT to buy:-

1) Beauty book

2) Ironing board or any other bit of kit that casts your missus as house-cleaner.

3) Mínge trimmers

4) Bowling ball with "H. Simpson" engraved on it.

I’ve got a mate who bought his girlfriend an electrolysis kit for removing facial hair. True Story.

Amazingly, they’re still together – although that was definitely a present that failed to guarantee he got his leg over on Christmas Day.

Mrs JBS is just as hard to buy for, she never wears the expensive jewellery I have bought for her through the years, there is still cellophane wrapped perfume in her drawer sometimes I will spot something or she will comment about liking something seen on the TV. Thankfully being practically minded she wouldn't mind something useful for round the house, which is how I got away with buying her one of those cordless Dyson's the other year.

Something I did stumble on a couple of years ago after a trip to New York was a Photobook from these Cewe people 30 x 30 opening out to 60x30 opted for nice quality paper and set about building the book using their software and 100's of photos I had taken on our trip. With modern digital photos these things just sit on a stick or SD card somewhere and to see them you have to fire up your device to view them so they just get almost forgotten. Turned out to be present of the year.

Last year we went to South Africa for a family wedding then on Safari so pushed my luck and built another photobook which probably went down even better......... It's a bit different and personal.

I dropped a b0llock with one of my presents to Mrs Stickman a few years back. I bought her a digital photo frame and spent ages scanning in photos from about 25 years worth of albums featuring our lives together. At first, I was quite selective choosing which photos to scan, but I quickly discovered it was easier just to scan the whole lot. Eventually, I ended up with a couple of thousand photos on about a four hour loop.

Anyway, Mrs Stickman was quite pleased with it at first, but I noticed after a short while she became luke-warm towards it, and it wasn’t long before she switched it off altogether. On asking her why, she replied:

1/ I find it depressing to watch 25 years of my life go by in 4 hours.

2/ I find it sad to see photos of people like my dad who are no longer alive.

3/ I find it annoying to see photos of your bloody mother every five minutes.

:(

Mrs JBS is just as hard to buy for, she never wears the expensive jewellery I have bought for her through the years, there is still cellophane wrapped perfume in her drawer sometimes I will spot something or she will comment about liking something seen on the TV. Thankfully being practically minded she wouldn't mind something useful for round the house, which is how I got away with buying her one of those cordless Dyson's the other year.

Something I did stumble on a couple of years ago after a trip to New York was a Photobook from these Cewe people 30 x 30 opening out to 60x30 opted for nice quality paper and set about building the book using their software and 100's of photos I had taken on our trip. With modern digital photos these things just sit on a stick or SD card somewhere and to see them you have to fire up your device to view them so they just get almost forgotten. Turned out to be present of the year.

Last year we went to South Africa for a family wedding then on Safari so pushed my luck and built another photobook which probably went down even better......... It's a bit different and personal.

Bet she's already working on the 'surprised face' look for this year when she opens. ..... A photo book ;)

My old man bought mum a sewing machine one christmas, and she has never let him forget it - 35 years on!!!

Persevering with home appliances, the next year he bought her a kenwood chef. This time the cunning sod wrapped up the the mixing bowl separately and said it was a present from my brother and I so that any potential fallout headed in his direction would be dampened by mum's maternal gratitude to us.