Ways to say hello to people

TopGun

Someone just emailed me earlier and said "wotcha" as a hello.

It got me thinking a bit. When I was a kid in junior school in Soton in the 1970s (blimey) we didn't say "wotcha", but said "atcha"... I really don't know whether that was meant to be "wotcha" and we somehow got it wrong... did other people also say "atcha" then? Is "atcha" a 1970s Soton term like "mush"?

What do posters recall from their schooldays and what do you say now both face to face and on emails etc to say hello?

in emails/PM's i say L O, howdy , ello , hi .....(nothing too extravagent). if its face to face i say either hiya or hello.....nothing too "street" :D...(is that the right phrase)........God, i sound old!!! LOL

phrases from my youth that i still say are mush and dinlo ......

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
in emails/PM's i say L O, howdy , ello , hi .....(nothing too extravagent). if its face to face i say either hiya or hello.....nothing too "street" :D...(is that the right phrase)........God, i sound old!!! LOL

phrases from my youth that i still say are mush and dinlo ......

I've never, ever used the term 'Dinlo' in my life, and I can't stand 'mush' and 'cushty'. Although born in Saffamtin, I spent many years in Kent where no-one ever spoke to anyone else so you didn't have to worry.

It got me thinking a bit. When I was a kid in junior school in Soton in the 1970s (blimey) we didn't say "wotcha", but said "atcha"... I really don't know whether that was meant to be "wotcha" and we somehow got it wrong... did other people also say "atcha" then? Is "atcha" a 1970s Soton term like "mush"?

What do posters recall from their schooldays and what do you say now both face to face and on emails etc to say hello?

I remember the "atcha" greeting. We weren't getting anything wrong. I remember the "hi" greeting coming to prominance too. I thought it very American English at the time, which of course, it was.

I've never, ever used the term 'Dinlo' in my life, and I can't stand 'mush' and 'cushty'. Although born in Saffamtin, I spent many years in Kent where no-one ever spoke to anyone else so you didn't have to worry.

Where in Kent, DSM..?

My first time in my Kent local, a Stranger turned to me and called, "allo nipper". Which was great as I was 33 at the time and already appreciating people believing I was younger than I was.

Edited by St Landrew

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Where in Kent, DSM..?

My first time in my Kent local, a Stranger turned to me and called, "allo nipper". Which was great as I was 33 at the time and already appreciating people believing I was younger than I was.

Started off in Orpington when it was still genteel, and ended up in villages outside Ashford.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I lived in Egerton Forstal, just 12 miles outside Ashford, for 5 years.

I know the place. I lived in Westwell and Brabourne Lees.

We were using it from late 6T's through to early 7T's at secondary school.

• 5 years later...

Ours was more "Utcha mate", although I do use Wotcha quite regularly now. "Wotcha Mush" was always how I greeted my nephew when he was younger.

Also, 'nipper' to me was always a male; I find it quite strange when people refer to girls as nippers,

People used to regret following up their hi or hello greeting to my nan with "how are you" Because she would proceed to tell them. In the end my mum (her daughter in law) upset her by basically telling her that people weren't really interested how she was, it was just a greeting, so she should stfu about her various ailments and problems with the women next door. Needless to say it went down like a jimmy savillie impression on children in need.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter