Hungarian Grand Prix

Michelle

Nice result for Heikki, bloody unlucky for Lewis.

Jumped up and down laughing when Felipe started smoking!

One does wonder what's up with Kimi though... been consistently underperforming for a couple of races now.

Oh, and good work from Timo Glock. Damn good quali/drive from him.

Just when you think it'll be dull F1 does that. God I love this sport at times.

Kimi seems to have lost motivation.... no smoke without fire, he is off to rallying after 2009, if not sooner.

And Glock, bravo, had his first pit stop been slicker he could have won.

Would rather have seen Massa finish, even 2nd, to reduce the points differential between Toyota's drivers and Renault's drivers by 1.

Still nice to see Heikki get a win. It's funny, last race people were saying Nelson wasn't getting enough points for the team and he pops up with a lucky 2nd. This week they were saying the same about Heikki's contribution and he gets a very fortunate win.

Another odd one from the race - what was with the little spate of fires when removing the fuel rig? Usually a once in a blue moon situation.

Quite, got me thinking after James 'Cock' Allen said there would be an investigation.... Well, nothing so far.

A seal issue? Some ambient condition effecting rig integrity? Utterly bizare.

Quite, got me thinking after James 'Cock' Allen said there would be an investigation.... Well, nothing so far.

A seal issue? Some ambient condition effecting rig integrity? Utterly bizare.

The only comment that I recall was that it might possibly have been due to the heat. Seems unlikely though - I mean, it's not like there haven't been hotter races!

Oh, AND what happened to the Bridgestone report about what happened with Lewis' tyre?

Certainly looked melted into an interesting shape when it came off his car!

According to the Planet-f1 forum and links there it was debris penetrating the inner rim of the tyre. That's the official line.

According to the Planet-f1 forum and links there it was debris penetrating the inner rim of the tyre. That's the official line.

More like because he locks up the inside tyre at every corner like a drunk driver.

More like because he locks up the inside tyre at every corner like a drunk driver.

Erm, regardless of your feeling on his driving technique, it must be rather effective.

Yes he is more draining on his tyres, but 'drunk!?' For crying out loud.

Erm, regardless of your feeling on his driving technique, it must be rather effective.

Yes he is more draining on his tyres, but 'drunk!?' For crying out loud.

Well, for gawds sake, Alonso drives extraordinarily heavily on the front end, but you don't see his inside wheel puff at every corner. The guys from B/stone must have their hands over their eyes at every race.

Oh, and I'm not suggesting Hamilton drives like a drunk, but if you see a drink-driver, or that 5th Gear episode where they experimented with levels of intoxication, etc. you'll have seen the way all the braking is done very heavily and at the very last second. It's a fair analogy when you get it in context.

Oh, and I'm not suggesting Hamilton drives like a drunk, but if you see a drink-driver, or that 5th Gear episode where they experimented with levels of intoxication, etc. you'll have seen the way all the braking is done very heavily and at the very last second. It's a fair analogy when you get it in context.

He drives like he is still in a go kart. :smt019

Hey guys, went to the grandprix and it was a great experience i sat on a hill and got a great view of the straights and the final turn. It was my first grand prix and me and my mate found it a interesting experience, one i was surprised at how passionate fans were and especially the anti-lewis sentiment . Me and my friend both were clearly lewis fans got a lot of stick and at time felt like it was getting a bit nasty, sadly also rascist comments were made about Lewis. But we were next to tons of massa fans so his blow out was a great moment! As for the race its quite hard to follow there, the screen was quite far away but i think confusement added to the fun!

Anyway thats my brief review, first grand prix loved the noise and the atmosphere and definetly would go again!

The Hungaoring is clockwise circuit though, meaning the right front would have locked up more often. None of Hamilton's front right's punctured however, even the option he did 30 odd laps on at the end of the race.

Must have been some kind of tyre fault or foreign object damage.

Well of course one of the arts of motor racing is to break as late as you dare and as heavily as you dare. It means that Lewis Hamilton is one of the hardest drivers on tyres, but by heaven he uses them wisely it appears. After all, he does win a lot.

The same is said of Valentino Rossi. He is the absolute master of being able to break as late as it is physically possible and still get around a corner tidily and with momentum maintained. That's a real skill, and whether people like it ir not, Lewis Hamilton has it in spades as well. He does have the advantage of 4 wheels over Rossi's 2 though. And his vehicle won't fall over if he makes a mistake. Therefore he can make his tyres smoke if it is important enough.

Well of course one of the arts of motor racing is to break as late as you dare and as heavily as you dare. It means that Lewis Hamilton is one of the hardest drivers on tyres, but by heaven he uses them wisely it appears. After all, he does win a lot.

The same is said of Valentino Rossi. He is the absolute master of being able to break as late as it is physically possible and still get around a corner tidily and with momentum maintained. That's a real skill, and whether people like it ir not, Lewis Hamilton has it in spades as well. He does have the advantage of 4 wheels over Rossi's 2 though. And his vehicle won't fall over if he makes a mistake. Therefore he can make his tyres smoke if it is important enough.

Braking to the point of locking the tyres slows you down slower than not locking them. The friction between carbon pads and carbon discs is higher than between rubber and tarmac, therefore you slow faster when the wheels are not locked. Also, when the wheel is locked up you have no steering control. Therefore it's not the fastest, not most controlled way to slow down into the corner and therefore it's not 'late braking mastery'. Those are just facts. He wins a lot of Grands Prix because the chassis is very well designed and has superb traction and because the Mercedes engine has developed a lot of grunt despite the engine freeze. Alonso won as many GP last year, without locking his wheels, and didn't suffer any unusual punctures or tyre failures.