Support the lads!

Saint Charlie

I am most perterbed. I have just realised that I have to drive all the way there in my wife's hoplessly under-powered, lilac, Honda Hormone Replacement Vehicle (HRV) which was ironically called 'The Joy Machine' in its marketing. I can only assume it came with a Rampant Rabbit in the glove box...

(Nevertheless I WILL be there. That's how much I LOVE this club. Personal humiliation...)

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/video/video/index.var.40008.0.0.php

Come on everyone, first home game of the new season, lets get a decent crowd into SMS and roar the youngsters on to victory against probably the best team in the league.

As Jan says in the interview, the players really need the support to drive them on.

Whilst agreeing that we should "cheer on our boys" it made me think what an interesting breed of the human race footballers are.....Here am I, sitting at my desk and I'm managing to do a superb job (inbetween rare visits to this message board...) without anyone cheering me on. What is going on neurologically in the head of sportsmen (and women) that results in under-performance if someone isn't clapping and cheering their work?

:rolleyes:

after watching birmingham last week against sheff utd,i wouldnt say they were a good team.....they were absolute sh1te and didnt have a shot on goal in the 90 mins,so i am optimistic about our chances and will be there as normal giving my full support.

i was also at exeter on tuesday night and although i saw some scary stuff i also saw a lot of good ball playing with a bit of pace and skill thrown in for good measure.

COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE MACHINE........................

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/video/video/index.var.40008.0.0.php

Come on everyone, first home game of the new season, lets get a decent crowd into SMS and roar the youngsters on to victory against probably the best team in the league.

As Jan says in the interview, the players really need the support to drive them on.

I hope its a good match, you all have a good time, the weather stays fine, and that we get the result we ALL yearn for....

COYR

I hope its a good match, you all have a good time, the weather stays fine, and that we get the result we ALL yearn for....

COYR

thank you, weather forecast not good, sunny here in Southampton now so BBQ tonight and getting excited about the game.

I dare say Trousers that you do have customers or a manager or someone who supports, recognises and rewards your better efforts?? ;)

Indeed, but typically 'before' or 'after' the event rather than 'during' though.

Was just wondering (semi tongue-in-cheek-ly, obviously :)) why sports people only seem to be able to perform at their best when being encouraged 'during' as well as 'before' and 'after'. Perhaps it's only the mediocre sportspeople that need ongoing encouragement whereas the top notch ones can perform to the best of their ability regardless of external encouragement?

Any sports psychologists out there? (must be a few as it's one of those 'easy pass' degrees....so I'm told...) ;);)

Indeed, but typically 'before' or 'after' the event rather than 'during' though.

Was just wondering (semi tongue-in-cheek-ly, obviously :)) why sports people only seem to be able to perform at their best when being encouraged 'during' as well as 'before' and 'after'. Perhaps it's only the mediocre sportspeople that need ongoing encouragement whereas the top notch ones can perform to the best of their ability regardless of external encouragement?

Any sports psychologists out there? (must be a few as it's one of those 'easy pass' degrees....so I'm told...) ;);)

It depends who you are and how good you are, I reckon. Monty cannot ignore the crowd. Tiger can.

Manchester United go to Turkey and win despite the noise, others don't.

If you are mentally right, the crowd should be irrelavant.

Having said which, if a Captain can wander around his troops and make them harken to the baying mob, it can be a tremendously motivational thing to hear.

The key is focus and being in the zone and then using or ignoring the noise as YOU see fit.

And that's without an easy-peasy sports degree, which I could have picked up free with my Coco-Pops this morning had I been bothered to send the tokens in... ;)

Whilst agreeing that we should "cheer on our boys" it made me think what an interesting breed of the human race footballers are.....Here am I, sitting at my desk and I'm managing to do a superb job (inbetween rare visits to this message board...) without anyone cheering me on. What is going on neurologically in the head of sportsmen (and women) that results in under-performance if someone isn't clapping and cheering their work?

:rolleyes:

Mind you, there are some sportspeople who seem to thrive when they get a negative reaction from a crowd. How many time during matches have the crowd given a particular opposition player a lot of stick only for them to score a goal later in the game. Nicki Pedersen, the Danish Speedway rider, who was something of a pantomime villain at Cardiff this year, is a sportsman who seems to ride better if the crowd are against him!

Love this kind of thing .... tomorrow is massive. I hope upon hopes Saint Mary's is rocking and boys respond. So many times I think our hope support has been disapointing compared to away. This is the team i feel most loyalty too and will be most proud cheering on, lets raise their game with our noise.

I'd imagine they don't. But it must give a little adrenaline rush to hear your name shouted out by 10,000+ people.

Frankly mate, when you've been married 15 years and have two teenage kids (well 14 and 12, girls) a nine month old female puppy, and you are beaten into submission every time you ask for a scrap of respect or freedom, a hot curry is just that bit more appealing... ;)

Only 15 years. You're still on the trying it out stage. You wait until you get to 34 years;)