New F1 Scoring System Proposal

St Landrew

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7749751.stm

Yep, it's my old argument, and it seems that I'm not the only one complaining about it. While most F1 fans secretly would love more overtaking, they put up with strategy and pit stops, and call it fantastic, when realistically it is more akin to quite interesting. Now Bernie is determined to introduce a new scoring system. Presumably, when this doesn't get the teams to overtake more he'll try re-defining the meaning of overtaking, or even re-spelling it.

F1 is going in the right direction. Make the cars such so that are create a big hole in the air. This means they can't easily get away from the rest of the field. And make the scoring system such that it really pays to win, i.e. restore the big points gap that used to be between the top placings - somewhat like MotoGP, but not necessarily a copy. Not this silly medal system Bernie is proposing.

Of course, if you really want close racing, you could always enclose an F1 car's wheels in bodywork..! Then the danger of wheels interlocking would cease. But it might be a little embarrassing, as that sort of thing is already done elsewhere, and the racing is more exciting for it too.

Finally, there's qualifying. Let's face it - the fastest cars get to the front, and they are in the perfect position to walk away from the rest of the field. Whilst F1 has cleverly designed in the weight of fuel in their qualifying system, it still cannot stop the fastest race cars being at the front. So less overtaking. I don't know what to propose here, other than some sort of handicap system, and I'd hesitate to adopt that at all. But something else needs to be done.

Edited by St Landrew

How about factoring in some sort of system with grid position in relation to finishing position.

eg someone finishing 8th but starting 16th on the grid would get more points than someone finishing 7th but starting in 7th.

or , maybe the driver with the most over taking manoueveres in a race gets a couple of bonus points.

Talk about sh*t on the little guys. This would basically mean nobody except the Ferraris, BMWs and McLaren's, plus Alonso, need bother turning up.

Where is the motivation for a Red Bull in 6th to overtake a Toyota in 5th with 10 laps left, 40s behind a Ferrari in 4th?

Think how boring some of the recent WDC would have been with this system.

"In 2003, the world title went down to the last race between Schumacher and McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen even though the German had won six races to the Finn's one."

Montoya was also in the running until the penultimate race with 2 wins.

In short, it's a sh*te idea and Bernie should STFU and stop throwing the toys out the pram because Ferrari didn't win.

Ironically, the current system was introduced to stop exactly the sort of thing that happened in 2002 where Schumi had won the championship by mid season with an almost perfect first half. They wanted closer championships and 2003,5 ,6 ,7 & 8 all went to the last race.

I don't understand why they'd want to revert back.

• 3 weeks later...

He's still banging on about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7784446.stm

Look, I know I'm bike racing biased, but that's just because of the excitement value, not necessarily because the racing is on two wheels, but it seems to me that MotoGP's points system works a lot better than F1's.

As we all know, in F1 the current points allocation goes 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 down to 8th place. In MotoGP the points go 25-20-16-13-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 all the way back to 15th place [there are 18 to 22 entrants]. For me, this means that almost everyone is in the hunt, and is capable, with a really good race or two, to be up with championship leaders. Especially if someone falls off, which occasionally happens. Granted, these little acts of god don't happen anything like as often in F1.

This season, Rossi had the championship won by the end race 15, but it is a 17 race season. The previous two seasons had been nothing like as foregone a conclusion.

However, whatever the system, almost anything is better than a medal allocation system for F1.

Yes, but StL, the margin between 1st and 2nd is the problem really, and it's identical between F1 and MotoGP with 2nd place scoring 80% of the points that first place does. There's also little need to score points back to 15th as the countback system does the same job anyway if scores are tied.

In essence, the medal system will change very little from the first few places back except that most of the drivers will be sorted by placed finishes whilst registering a 0 in the medal table.

I say don't change a thing, it works.

I have been suggesting changes for ages. I even wrote to Formula 1. Here are my suggestions:

*Drivers should have to pick up magic coins along the way to boost their points.

*Drivers have a certain amount to spend on weapons at a weapon shop before each race. Weapons will be things like oil slicks, mines, missiles and perhaps a forcefield for protection.

*Formula 1 should adopt the 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw scoring system to fall in line with other sports.

*All podium finishers have an opportunity for a 'conversion' to add further points. This will involve firing a champagne cork at a pit girl's fanny. Or something. I haven't really thought this one through.

*The British GP to be held every year at an historical castle in England and will be called the It's A Knockout round. This round, the cars will be made of foam and go around the drivers' waists and they have to run the course blindfolded, going over bouncy castles and slippery hazards. All points will go to charity in this round.

I have been suggesting changes for ages. I even wrote to Formula 1. Here are my suggestions:

*Drivers should have to pick up magic coins along the way to boost their points.

*Drivers have a certain amount to spend on weapons at a weapon shop before each race. Weapons will be things like oil slicks, mines, missiles and perhaps a forcefield for protection.

*Formula 1 should adopt the 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw scoring system to fall in line with other sports.

*All podium finishers have an opportunity for a 'conversion' to add further points. This will involve firing a champagne cork at a pit girl's fanny. Or something. I haven't really thought this one through.

*The British GP to be held every year at an historical castle in England and will be called the It's A Knockout round. This round, the cars will be made of foam and go around the drivers' waists and they have to run the course blindfolded, going over bouncy castles and slippery hazards. All points will go to charity in this round.

This part comes true from 2010, if they can get the planning permission through and the work completed anyway.