Pompey's world class new signing

stevegrant

Don't think they'll go down but I think they will struggle to finish top-half and the excuses and whining are already out in force from Harry - the Pompey fans I know reckon he's being unrealistic. They might struggle in the UEFA Cup too as you need a decent size squad for the number of games. Still, I'd rather be in their position than ours - we won't be able to keep the academy going unless we get investment, let alone buy first team players.

The money HAS dried up. They've said it themselves.

Pompey promised the fans 3 "major" signings and have said they can't afford the 3rd.

They have just got £3 million for Mendes from Rangers,not alot in the grand scheme of things,not sure it will go back into the transfer kitty,but i sure wish we had some cash to spend.

It's a loan as well, so he's got to be good...

Jerome Thomas from Charlton.

Wow.

I wonder if the money's dried up (or been tracked down to Daddy Gaydamak)?

lol - still bitter steve ? sure does show in your posts ;)

think it's a good signing actually - we are desperate for width, charlton boys are saying they are gutted their best winger is leaving, I think he will do a job and on a loan deal so if he is shocking we can send him back. sound business if you ask me.

for what it is worth I think we have over achieved a little too soon, whilst europe is exciting we have spent £60 odd million over the past year and the new training ground is costing £15M alone, Sol Campbell is picking up over 100k a week and crouch is on around 75k a week

we have to balance the books - not many the clubs in the premiership are spending big money this year compared with last, our priority was another striker and boy we got a good one in Crouch. I would rather us be prudent than do a leeds / leicester etc

40 points will do me whatever after that is a bonus.

here's a bitter coment from me - your young uns will bottle when the going gets tough - you will be lucky to escape bottom 3 again. :D

for what it is worth I think we have over achieved a little too soon, whilst europe is exciting we have spent £60 odd million over the past year and the new training ground is costing £15M alone, Sol Campbell is picking up over 100k a week and crouch is on around 75k a week

we have to balance the books - not many the clubs in the premiership are spending big money this year compared with last, our priority was another striker and boy we got a good one in Crouch. I would rather us be prudent than do a leeds / leicester etc

Given that your matchday revenue is severely limited by the capacity of Fratton Park (matchday revenue of about £9m the season before last - even with the price hikes, I can't see that going above £11m any time soon), I don't see how you can possibly balance the books unless there is another new TV deal that dwarves the current one. Your matchday revenue is only just covering the wages of Campbell (£5m per year) and Crouch (£3.75m per year) with very little left over for the rest of the squad, which means the TV deal is being relied on totally.

Oh, and given the £60m you've spent in transfer fees in the last two years, don't you think that only just achieving 40 points would be an absolute disaster?

You're matching ManYoo and Chelsea for spending, and yet seemingly still aiming for safety?

You're not "little old Pompey" anymore considering you're spending money to rival the title contenders, and yet you'll still probably be lucky to finish in the top 8. You can't really call yourselves underdogs anymore, and with that (rightly) comes added pressure to continue the momentum. Without the matchday revenue, and the clear signs that Gaydamak isn't going to spend any more of his (dad's) own money, the only option (as Redknapp has said today) is to sell players. And we know where that leads... eventually you run out of players to sell.

valid points about matchday revenue which is why we desperately need new premises

only achieving 40 points would not be a disaster - premiership safety is whats required initially.

only option is to sell players ?? - we sold muntari but got another asset of a similar value in crouch. we sold mendes (30k a week) for £3M but bought Kaboul for £5M - so have we actually decreased our assets ? problem is with us and villa and citeh and everton etc, we need to spend twice what the title contenders are because none of us have the equivalent squad depth.

rumour has it we are up for sale - due to our recent FA cup win and jaunt into europe we should be able to attract some decent investment should gaydamak decide to move on sooner rather than later. To be honest I am not overly worried, if we do not have major injuries another top half finish should be in reach

the biggest bonus is the training ground has been agreed and will available from next season, we are buying plenty of youth so our future will hopefully start to become less reliant on having to buy every single season, you certainly did well out of yours.

valid points about matchday revenue which is why we desperately need new premises

only achieving 40 points would not be a disaster - premiership safety is whats required initially.

only option is to sell players ?? - we sold muntari but got another asset of a similar value in crouch. we sold mendes (30k a week) for £3M but bought Kaboul for £5M - so have we actually decreased our assets ? problem is with us and villa and citeh and everton etc, we need to spend twice what the title contenders are because none of us have the equivalent squad depth.

rumour has it we are up for sale - due to our recent FA cup win and jaunt into europe we should be able to attract some decent investment should gaydamak decide to move on sooner rather than later. To be honest I am not overly worried, if we do not have major injuries another top half finish should be in reach

the biggest bonus is the training ground has been agreed and will available from next season, we are buying plenty of youth so our future will hopefully start to become less reliant on having to buy every single season, you certainly did well out of yours.

I'd agree with pretty much all that! Gaydamak has revolutionised the club, the infrastructure is coming along nicely (and lets be honest, we were in a right mess!) and whilst operating at a loss, (22 Million last year I believe?) we will eventualy become profitable.

They have just got £3 million for Mendes from Rangers,not alot in the grand scheme of things,not sure it will go back into the transfer kitty,but i sure wish we had some cash to spend.

I think 3M is a fair price for Mendes, who I and many feel was never the same player after Ben Thatcher assaulted him.

How exactly?? Won't be from revenue, you ain't big enough.

Time will tell, you may be right. However the Billionaire Sasha Gaydamak thinks Pompey have potential and has maybe foolishly ploughed Millions into a club with no infrastructure what-so-ever and no way of ever making his investment back. Now wether Mr. Gaydamak is right or wrong, I am enjoying life as a Pompey fan at the moment, we're FA cup Champions and just had 3 players called up tonight into the England squad. If I'm right it's only going to continue, and if your right, then I'm making hay whilst the sun is shining! :)

Time will tell, you may be right. However the Billionaire Sasha Gaydamak thinks Pompey have potential and has maybe foolishly ploughed Millions into a club with no infrastructure what-so-ever and no way of ever making his investment back. Now wether Mr. Gaydamak is right or wrong, I am enjoying life as a Pompey fan at the moment, we're FA cup Champions and just had 3 players called up tonight into the England squad. If I'm right it's only going to continue, and if your right, then I'm making hay whilst the sun is shining! :)
Can't argue with that, all I can hope for is a tragic helicopter crash.

• 1 year later...
lol - still bitter steve ? sure does show in your posts ;)

think it's a good signing actually - we are desperate for width, charlton boys are saying they are gutted their best winger is leaving, I think he will do a job and on a loan deal so if he is shocking we can send him back. sound business if you ask me.

here's a bitter coment from me - your young uns will bottle when the going gets tough - you will be lucky to escape bottom 3 again. :D

little did you know...that doing what you are proud of here is costing your club dear...lol