Cancelling Sky Contract

hamster

We are seriously considering cancelling our Sky contract to save a few quid. I am pretty sure that I was told that we 'own' the equipment.

As we have a Sky+ box, would the actual box be rendered useless, or is it compatible with any other services like Freeview etc.?

Cheers in advance people.

Firstly you should be aware that by cancelling your Sky+ Subscription you will no longer be able to view pre-recorded content.

Secondly, the Sky+ box will not even boot completely without a satellite signal (it may boot and let you watch prerecorded content for about an hour, this is a "get out" incase of poor signal, thunderstorms etc).

If you want to stay with your current set up, a list of FTA (free to air) channels that you will be able to receive when you cancel your subscription are available here http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyFTA.htm

Personally, I think your best bet would be to flog the sky+ box on ebay and get yourself a freesat box. I havent been able to see if you can use your sky+ box on freesat, I suspect not. Your dish and LNB will happily pick up the freesat signal which is on 28.5E (Astra 2b). No realigning of your dish is required.

If you feel more adventurous, I would highly recommend purchasing a 90cm dish and a Dreambox, a dual lnb and pointing it at Astra1 and hotbird.

Satellite TV (particularly receiving foreign tv) is a little passion of mine, so happy to give more advice if you need it

I would like to get a third SKY+ box, for my nipper. However because I have had a 'discount' already applied to my account (cheap second box) they will not budge an inch on the price of the box or installation. I have been with them now for nearly 4 years. Considering I have all my telephony services from them also it seems odd that I cannot get anything out of them when they are going to get an extra £10 monthly from me for the extra box.

I have no real other option as there is no cable service where I live, otherwise I could play them off against Virgin!

I would like to get a third SKY+ box, for my nipper. However because I have had a 'discount' already applied to my account (cheap second box) they will not budge an inch on the price of the box or installation. I have been with them now for nearly 4 years. Considering I have all my telephony services from them also it seems odd that I cannot get anything out of them when they are going to get an extra £10 monthly from me for the extra box.

I have no real other option as there is no cable service where I live, otherwise I could play them off against Virgin!

You can buy my old Sky+ box if you like...

You can buy my old Sky+ box if you like...

Hi Baj,

I have just cancelled my Sky subscription, so still have all the equipment.....

Can I just buy a freesat box, and plug it straight into the lead which comes from my sky dish and it will work straight away?

I had forgotten how you get less channels with sky than freeview!

Cheers!

Hi Baj,

I have just cancelled my Sky subscription, so still have all the equipment.....

Can I just buy a freesat box, and plug it straight into the lead which comes from my sky dish and it will work straight away?

I had forgotten how you get less channels with sky than freeview!

Cheers!

Ive not done it myself, but technically it should work fine. The standard sky dish is big enough, at Freesat isnt encrypted. However there are limitations to being able to tune the sky box to other channels, so yeah you would need to actually buy a freesat box, most seem to be recommending a humax model, not sure exactly what one tho.

Just been checking and I think that over the past 6 months we've got in a bit confused with Sky, Internet and phone providers etc.

I have been checking the sites like U-Switch etc. but they really do confuse me TBH. Maybe someone on here could advise us please?

We have Sky+, multi room with 2 of the Sky+ boxes = £73.54! Yep, I said the F word when I just checked that.

We have BT Broadband, just checked and the speeds are:

Speed Down 2252.03 Kbps ( 2.2 Mbps ) Speed Up 376.09 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

We use 2 numbers on the BT set up, but could make do with one in all honesty.

The bill for BT is was a shade over £40! Again,. F--- me!

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated folks. I have a busy weekend, so will probably not get around to sorting this mess until next week.

Thanks in advance.

We have Sky+, multi room with 2 of the Sky+ boxes = £73.54! Yep, I said the F word when I just checked that.

WTF? :shock:

I've got one Sky+ box on the all-singing, all-dancing package, and that's £47 per month. As far as I'm aware, multiroom costs £10 per month per extra box, so I think you should only be paying £57 per month. Having said that, the £10 multiroom might only apply if you only have a basic package on the second box...

We have BT Broadband, just checked and the speeds are:

Speed Down 2252.03 Kbps ( 2.2 Mbps ) Speed Up 376.09 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

We use 2 numbers on the BT set up, but could make do with one in all honesty.

The bill for BT is was a shade over £40! Again,. F--- me!

By the look of it, you'd be best off putting it all in together with Sky, whose broadband service is generally rated among the best in the country. There are various discounts to be had from them for having TV + broadband + home phone (and various combinations of two of the three) with Sky.

Virgin do similar deals, but you need to be in an area that can receive cable.

working as a freeview box with no issues.

Just to clarify, the FTA channels on sky and freeview are NOT the same thing. You are viewing the unencrypted channels broadcast from sky, Freeview is a digital terrestial service provided through analogue ariel on your roof.

Im not pointing this out for the sake of being pedantic, I dont want any of you going out trying to buy top up tv and wondering why it doesnt work on the sky box...

We have SKY for it all, including line rental.

Two SKY+ boxes (hence multiroom), The full package Sport & Movies.

SKYTalk+ (pay an extra £5 a month to get free calls to 01 and 02 & 20 various International destinations free 24/7)

The broadband package, I think it's the maximum, (with NO d/l limit) costs £10.

Our Direct debit today went out for £82.97

My last combined monthly cost when I had BT for broadband and only one SKY+ box was £154.63.

I have had no quality issues with any SKY service.

Just want a free third SKY+ box and half price installation.

I had my Sky multiroom cost double due to the second box not being hooked up to a phone line. (£35 per month to £75) Now the Sky box is working as a freeview box with no issues.

I cancelled it on the spot when I realised. BT has risen too.

Aha, colinjb. I have never bothered to connect a phone line to one of the boxes, are you suggesting that this could have bumped up the charges in some way?

Aha, colinjb. I have never bothered to connect a phone line to one of the boxes, are you suggesting that this could have bumped up the charges in some way?

Yes, it's a contract condition that your box must be connected to a phone line for at least the first year.