Tidy/Untidy..?

St Landrew

Following on from the OCD's, my family believe I'm the tidy one, but I'm currently going through a huge untidy patch in my life, which rivals how other members of my family live. They still think my house is immaculate, which peculiarly I feel slightly insulting. I know I need a huge kick up the arse to get things straight again, but I can't rely on relatives as they're even worse..!

It sounds to me like St. Landrew is suffering from depression. A man who compulsively tidies and likes things neat and sorted has let things go. Why? What could have made him change like this? The answer, and he knows it, is his mind. His house reflects his mind and his mind is untidy. It is unravelling. He is panicking about the state of his house (although others don't really notice) because he knows that the house is a mirror image of what is happening to him as a person. Outwardly he is the same St Landrew that his family and friends know and love, but you know when things aren't going to plan. He can sense his life falling to pieces and inside he is a mess. When he says he needs a kick up the arse to "get things straight" again, what he really means is he needs some time away, to contemplate what he wants out of life and to find the source of his inner turmoil.

There is a HUGE difference between tidy and clean, this is a fact. I am both tidy and clean to the point that I become a bit obsessed about it.

We have a very large lounde/dining room with light laminate floor and every spec of dust/dirt etc shows up, I find myself sweeping it about 8 times per day. Everything in our house has its place - not easy with 3 chlidren!!!

It sounds to me like St. Landrew is suffering from depression. A man who compulsively tidies and likes things neat and sorted has let things go. Why? What could have made him change like this? The answer, and he knows it, is his mind. His house reflects his mind and his mind is untidy. It is unravelling. He is panicking about the state of his house (although others don't really notice) because he knows that the house is a mirror image of what is happening to him as a person. Outwardly he is the same St Landrew that his family and friends know and love, but you know when things aren't going to plan. He can sense his life falling to pieces and inside he is a mess. When he says he needs a kick up the arse to "get things straight" again, what he really means is he needs some time away, to contemplate what he wants out of life and to find the source of his inner turmoil.

Wow, that's not bad. Actually, I'm not compulsively tidy. I'm really an untidy person who takes great efforts to be tidy, because I know that if I let it fall apart, I let myself fall apart a bit too. It's a visual barometer, so to speak. But Wiltshire, I have to say you're probably not that far away from the truth. As for depression, if I wasn't so shallow a person I might agree with you, but I never stay unhappy for long.

I will definitely take on board what you've written though. It was worth the fiver all on its own. :)

Wow, that's not bad. Actually, I'm not compulsively tidy. I'm really an untidy person who takes great efforts to be tidy, because I know that if I let it fall apart, I let myself fall apart a bit too. It's a visual barometer, so to speak. But Wiltshire, I have to say you're probably not that far away from the truth. As for depression, if I wasn't so shallow a person I might agree with you, but I never stay unhappy for long.

I will definitely take on board what you've written though. It was worth the fiver all on its own. :)

Only he hasn't paid ;)