Any Linux experts?

Barfy

I've recently been experimenting with Ubuntu Hardy on my pc, and all was going very well (using it more than Vista Ultimate anyway). Unfortunately, I started running before I was walking properly, and in my eagerness to play Simcity 3000 on Linux, I was trying to install an earlier version of Ubuntu on another partition. It wasn't going to plan, so I jacked it in and went back to Hardy...

... But I left the disc with the earlier version in the drive. Ubuntu then proceeded to go through an 'update' which wiped the Hardy kernel and some libraries from the system and now I can't get past Grub, let alone get into Ubuntu.

Does anyone have a clue how I might be able to restore Hardy without a full re-install (and losing files, settings etc.)? or should I complete my descent into geek-dom and sign up to an Ubuntu forum?

Thanks in advance for any pity, advice or abuse you may have to offer.

You can try fixing grub to see if you can at least get into Ubuntu of some description. You may then be able to use Synaptics to install the latest version of Ubuntu - Intrepid, or recover back to Hardy.

Take a look here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

I've discovered that I can at least see the installation if I use the Live CD, so I can back up my home folder to a memory stick. Can I use the live CD to restore the Kernel do you think?

ok thats good then, did you try a grub fix to see if you can actually access the install?

You probably can restore the kernel with the livecd but it may not be that simple. You may well have overwritten all sorts of bits and pieces which will seriously affect your system. If you have been able to back up your files and folders then I would suggest reinstalling from scratch - if you do that go the whole hog and download the intrepid ibex release.

If you have a usb memory stick with 2GB or more I would recommend installing ubuntu to it too - then you have a quicker method of running the live cd and infact its very easy to install a persistent image now too so all changes are saved.

Take a look here - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/11/05/usb-xubuntu-810-persistent-install-windows/

I managed to catch a few details of the 'update' and it seemed to just say it was deleting the latest kernel, I was thinking that a previous version of the kernel maybe hidden somewhere, and if I can set that to boot I shouldn't lose too much. Sound reasonable?

Though a full re-install wouldn't be a major problem, I just don't like the thought of having to set up the wireless internet again. Is this a bit easier under intrepid?

depends on your adapter but everything was plug and play for me - apart from the external monitor but thats always a problem with my ATI card.

After backing up, I couldn't find a way of restoring the kernel, so I decided to go Intrepid. Pretty much back to where I was last night with the exception of having a ***** of a time installing kmymoney.

Wireless setup was a doddle this time, as was setting up the nVidia graphics and sound drivers. Just need to get KDE working properly, and I'll be a happy bunny again :D

did you not download the Kubuntu version then?

I did a bit of background research on kubuntu 8.10 and it seems there are problems with the wireless connections. The general consensus seemed to be install & configure Ubuntu Intrepid and then install the KDE alongside.

hmmm - had no issues on my laptop - although it always depends on your adapter. Netgears tend to be a bit of a bugger.

I gave Kubuntu a try yesterday, becaus I thought it looked quite good, and it does look really good, but I just couldn't get the wireless to work. Adapter drivers were set up (Realtek 8185) and it could see my network, but it just wouldn't connect.

Nevermind, I'm happy with Ubuntu for now, I'm sure they'll get the bugs worked out soon enough.