Reserves Change

Saint Charlie

Ah ha...

The "solve the missing link between the academy and the first team tactic"

The revolutionary new blueprint for English soccer

Been spouting that this was a prime driver when SCW came here and low(e) and behold the management have decided that the reserves need to be prepared to step up to the first team.

Wotte a surprise....

:-)

I've advocated this approach for a long time... mainly because I've seen some very good young players hailed as being ready for the first team, (including by myself) but who've been hampered by the fact that the style and tempo of play and even formation, is different between first and reserve teams. It does make a difference, especially for a young player learning his trade... developing your skills is one thing, but to have to cope with a new system or formation just adds to the pressure.

Football is stuck in it's ways in many areas... 'we've always done it like that' etc, etc... i welcome this and hope it has the impact I think it is capable of having.

I wonder what alpine will find wrong with this...

I think attendances for the reserve team will go down. ;)

Anyway, seems like a sensible move although I'm wondering how many PL reserve teams will come down for friendlies. Afterall, they are playing more fixtures then we are, the main reason we wanted those friendlies in the first place. Good to see as well that U18 players will get a chance in the reserves more often as well, players like Racine who JP rates should not only be playing in the youth team.

Saints have not yet stated tonights squad. But this should be an interesting night with Skacel, Euell, BWP, Dyer, Lancashire, Wootton, Paterson, Hatch, Mills, Thomson, White, Racine, Gobern and few more all available. Reading are always a good strong side, so am looking forward to an entertaining game.

COYR