Christmas Films

Master Bates

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is THE best christmas film ever, FACT.

The only time of the year when you can guarantee that all my friends will actually turn up to a gathering is the annual National Lampoons Christmas Vacation Party, this year i'll try and avoid drinking a whole bottle of Baileys :-&

As several of you have correctly pointed out, its…

It’s a Wonderful Life - one of the greatest films ever, and apart from the insanely happy ending, its one of Hollywood's darkest.

Gremlins

plus

Hudsucker Proxy and Trading Places have Christmassy bits.

The Flaming Lips have just released their self-financed/shot film Christmas on Mars. Not seen it yet though.

As several of you have correctly pointed out, its…

It’s a Wonderful Life - one of the greatest films ever, and apart from the insanely happy ending, its one of Hollywood's darkest.

Gremlins

plus

Hudsucker Proxy and Trading Places have Christmassy bits.

The Flaming Lips have just released their self-financed/shot film Christmas on Mars. Not seen it yet though.

Has to be "It`s a Wonderful Life", probably my favourite film ever. As for the ending, next time you watch it, watch James Stewart as everyone comes into his house. He appears to say "*uck Me"!

Has to be "It`s a Wonderful Life", probably my favourite film ever. As for the ending, next time you watch it, watch James Stewart as everyone comes into his house. He appears to say "*uck Me"!

I love the way Bert the cop turns up with his accordion strapped on. Its like, 'Hmmm, trouble at the Bailey house, I might have to arrest my best friend, do I take my gun or my accordion?'

Full marks to Chief Wiggum for coming similarly prepared for the end of the Leftporium episode.

'It's a wonderful life' - I'm usually weeping unconsolably by the sixth minute.

Don't tell me: George reads that Mr Gower's son has died, and a little later, Mr Gower the chemist, slaps young George's bad/deaf ear so hard it begins to bleed. And yet all George has done is question the medicine, and so prevented a death, that Mr Gower has put into the capsules. One little accident in life that George has had an impact on, because he had been born.

I remember just a few years ago when visiting an old mate on Christmas Day. We'd had a couple of whiskies, and he said, let's watch It's A Wonderful Life..!

By the time Mr Gower whacked little George across the head, the lump in my throat had got to epic proportions. I looked across at my mate and he was utterly gone. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and his face was bright red. He looked back at me and said, god, I love this film.

Let's face it, you'd have to be a heartless sh!t not to, eh..? :)

All I read suggests that it's like "A Christmas Carol", the man gets shown what life would be like if he never existed.

Why not have a rehearsal with Youtube..?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgH5JB50E0

Do remember this was made in the 1940s, so there's no swearing, no attitude, nobody kills anyone with a gun, and no sex. Just very good storytelling. Can you handle it..? And it's in b/w. Personally, I don't think you're up to it. ;)

Edited by St Landrew

Not strictly an xmas movie i suppose,"Planes ,trains and automobiles"always goes down well in my household.

Hmm, it practically scrapes in as a Christmas film, because the characters are going home for a celebration in winter, in this case Thanksgiving. As this isn't a celebration we in the UK readily identify with, the film kind of doubles for an Xmas film. The odd drifts of snow do no harm at all either. In fact there's certainly more snow than in the Southampton area in the winter, so it's a nailed on Xmas film for us lot. ;)

And there's plenty of good scenes in it too. Steve Martin hasn't really improved on it since, and John Candy didn't get much more of a chance.

Edited by St Landrew

Don't tell me: George reads that Mr Gower's son has died, and a little later, Mr Gower the chemist, slaps young George's bad/deaf ear so hard it begins to bleed. And yet all George has done is question the medicine, and so prevented a death, that Mr Gower has put into the capsules. One little accident in life that George has had an impact on, because he had been born.

I remember just a few years ago when visiting an old mate on Christmas Day. We'd had a couple of whiskies, and he said, let's watch It's A Wonderful Life..!

By the time Mr Gower whacked little George across the head, the lump in my throat had got to epic proportions. I looked across at my mate and he was utterly gone. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and his face was bright red. He looked back at me and said, god, I love this film.

Let's face it, you'd have to be a heartless sh!t not to, eh..? :)

Totally agree! Some on here may feign being heartless but so what.

I have been trying, for about ten years now, to get hold of the colour washed version. Any pointers?

My other faves:

Miracle on 34th St. (I like both the older and newer versions)

Scrooged, just to see the fairy battering Murray with the toaster.

Why not have a rehearsal with Youtube..?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgH5JB50E0

Do remember this was made in the 1940s, so there's no swearing, no attitude, nobody kills anyone with a gun, and no sex. Just very good storytelling. Can you handle it..? And it's in b/w. Personally, I don't think you're up to it. ;)

And, of course :D, it's Capra, not Coppola as I mistakenly put last time we discussed this great film.

Totally agree! Some on here may feign being heartless but so what.

I have been trying, for about ten years now, to get hold of the colour washed version. Any pointers?

My other faves:

Miracle on 34th St. (I like both the older and newer versions)

Scrooged, just to see the fairy battering Murray with the toaster.

Yes - St Landrew - that's exactly the bit that sets me on the way!

ESB - I've got the colour-wash version on video somewhere - I'll try and 'make you a back up' if you like?