Saints v Birmingham - Post Match Reaction

Baj

Really worried about what's in store for us this season.

After 2 league games?

IMHO we have playes well in both, lost both narrowly 2-1. By all accounts todays games was harsh on us, if the performance was bad then i'd be concerned but only after 3 or 4 games. The performances have been encouraging and although disappointed i'm not despondant yet.

Very disappointing to have played so well first half and then to lose, but it's important we learn from this. We clearly have a lot of qualities which were on show first half and it's important to not lose sight of that. But we need to become a bit more savvy when teams change their approach and adapt to our game.

Far from some peoples opinion, I don't see the situation as being irrecoverable... After just two games it seems we're playing some very good football going forward that hasn't been seen for a few years. We just need to get our heads down and work on the things that aren't quite right. If we weren't creating any chances at all and getting smashed I'd be more concerned.

Very disappointing to have played so well first half and then to lose, but it's important we learn from this. We clearly have a lot of qualities which were on show first half and it's important to not lose sight of that. But we need to become a bit more savvy when teams change their approach and adapt to our game.

Far from some peoples opinion, I don't see the situation as being irrecoverable... After just two games it seems we're playing some very good football going forward that hasn't been seen for a few years. We just need to get our heads down and work on the things that aren't quite right. If we weren't creating any chances at all and getting smashed I'd be more concerned.

agreed :)

Fair enough, but over what time-scale would you say this needs to change ?

We really need a result against an off-form Derby team, I think.

Guest Hacienda

We'll lose next weekend as well but after that we'll start to pick up points.

As soon as Rat Boy came on we all knew he's score the winner.

Totally gutted. But lets be honest, Cardiff away and then the league favourites Birmingham at home was never going to be easy. I'm not shocked we haven't picked up any points; in fact I'm actually slightly cheered by a couple of things we have seen so far:

1- We can play well AND score against tough opponents.

2- When we play well we play some very entertaining, fast paced football

It went wrong today in my opinion mainly because the bench was so weak, where was Dyer for example?!

Guest Hacienda
less than 17,000 saints fans for the first home game, versus a crowd of 25,054 (last year).

I fear the return of lowe and the poor results last season may have a greater impact than people first imagined...

just goes to confirm that lowe's personal body of men who number updwards of 10,000, and all of whom walked after lowe was dispatched in the night of the long knives are back, and with a vengeance.

lol.

Less than 17,000 Saints fans for the first home game, versus a crowd of 25,054 (last year).

I fear the return of Lowe and the poor results last season may have a greater impact than people first imagined...

Apparently, staving off administration is ONLY about the wage bill, donchyaknow ?

Unfortunately only for about 25-40 mins in the last two CCC matches,and not that much more against Exeter.

We need a plan b or at least more options.

The up and at them appraoch for a short time and convert one of many chances needs too change.

The game lasts for ninety minutes,we need to be more adaptable to the oppositions change of tactics IMO.

Typical b***dy KP.after he missed so many vital goals for us scores with his first touch.

Early days i know, but every game with nil points on the board increases the pressure on the new setup.

Positives...........we seem to be at least losing with honour!

Fair enough, but over what time-scale would you say this needs to change ?

To be honest, I don't put a timescale on it... I just expect to see some consistent improvement over the course of the season. I always said during pre-season, that this year would be a tough one and that I'd settle for mid-table obscurity... two games in and nothing changes that... i shaln't be amking any judgements until at least 10 games in and even then, it won't be a finite judgment, more of a rolling judgement on our progress to date.

Unfortunately only for about 25-40 mins in the last two CCC matches,and not that much more against Exeter.

We need a plan b or at least more options.

The up and at them appraoch for a short time and convert one of many chances needs too change.

The game lasts for ninety minutes,we need to be more adaptable to the oppositions change of tactics IMO.

Yep, but we dont have the players to do that anymore, and I wonder if JP is up to changing things about.

Sounds like we played well - Five Live seems to think so - but we need to convert more chances.

As for the doom and gloom merchants, I really do wonder ...!

We have played two of our harder games and marginally lost them - your thoroughly negative opinions might have some validity after 10 matches but not after two!

Sounds like we played well - Five Live seems to think so - but we need to convert more chances.

As for the doom and gloom merchants, I really do wonder ...!

We have played two of our harder games and marginally lost them - your thoroughly negative opinions might have some validity after 10 matches but not after two!

Boll@cks! after 10 games you will say 20 games.

The only chance this reserve team has is if we burn the treatment table.

I wasn't there so I wil not criticise the team, however my concern is that such a young team will require confidence to help them improve and not crumble as the season goes on. If we continue to struggle to win matches then that will evaporate and we won't have the mental strength to battle on.

This is my concern. However, I have heard enough positives about the first 3 games to suggest that it could easily all change around next week and we could start to climb the table.

Here's hoping anyway.

I wasn't there so I wil not criticise the team, however my concern is that such a young team will require confidence to help them improve and not crumble as the season goes on. If we continue to struggle to win matches then that will evaporate and we won't have the mental strength to battle on.

This is my concern. However, I have heard enough positives about the first 3 games to suggest that it could easily all change around next week and we could start to climb the table.

Here's hoping anyway.

I think that's a very fair point and I alluded to something similar when i said that we need the lads to keep their heads up and realise that they are doing a lot of good things that need to be maintained... however we clearly need to add to that to start getting results.

2 narrow defeats against teams expected to do well.

The team still needs to gel.

I am not disappointed just yet, its not like we got thrashed 4.0

COYR

Agh, the old gelling theory. The problem is that most of the other sides with new players seem to have no problem gelling.

Early days I know against tough opposition, but would'nt it of made a change to see us get off to a good start rather than playing catchup so early on again.

The problem is now that not only are we still looking for our first point, but the morale will be sinking fast especially with the youth of the side.

Why are people panicking. :lol:

Bar 2 defensive howlers that led to goals, we played the best team in the league, by FAR, off the park for large periods of the game. Until they scored it all went to pieces a bit, but that's expected when you're playing kids and hopefully they'll mature out of it.

They have a team FULL of players who should be in the premiership.

Their team today:

Birmingham: Maik Taylor, Parnaby, Ridgewell, Martin Taylor, Murphy, Larsson, Nafti, Carsley, O'Connor, Owusu-Abeyie, McFadden. Subs: Doyle, Kelly, Phillips, Jerome, Bent.

Premiership calibre players in bold, or at least borderline.

Very promising indeed IMO.

I'm naturally disappointed that we have now lost 2 games on the trot but also realistic to know that the opening 3 games of the season were all going to be very difficult.

The normal pessimists have already written this team off but i still think the kids will come good.

The first 10 games of this season are very much going to be a sharp learning curve for the youngsters but i am very encouraged by what i have seen of this team so far. If the fans give the new setup their fall backing i'm sure they will come good.

as much as we play very attractive football we are not making our superority count with our chances we may need a bit more experience

Only problem is all of our experience has been given away in order to save money,the savings of which will now be wiped out by falling attendances.