Closed Corners

harvey

A sad sight today was seeing the corners closed off, it reflects on the club in a very poor manner.

If I were Rupert Lowe or Michael Wilde, I would be paying to keep these areas of the ground open, out of my own pocket. These people are millionaires btw, what's a couple of hundred grand to the the people who are ultimately responsible for the position that we now find SFC.

My daughter cam up with a great idea about the corners.Why doesnt the club sell advertising on matchdays to be displayed in those corners even if it was £500-1000 it would be more money in.There was a rasism isnt Saintly flag on one section, why not get MCdonalds etc to do so.

what is the point in opening them up and losing money when large parts of the groung are not full anyway?

I really dont get some people

Well you wouldn't, you're not here most of the time. We should be trying to attract people to St Marys, not putting them off by looking like a tinpot club (which we do). You've missed my point anyway, what I was saying was that rather than ****ing people off and closing certain sections of the ground, if I were Rupert or Michael, I would personally pay out of my own pocket to keep them open.

Well you wouldn't, you're not here most of the time. We should be trying to attract people to St Marys, not putting them off by looking like a tinpot club (which we do). You've missed my point anyway, what I was saying was that rather than ****ing people off and closing certain sections of the ground, if I were Rupert or Michael, I would personally pay out of my own pocket to keep them open.

Yes, but they're not fans of the club, so they're not going to.

We would look more of a tinpot club with completely empty corners and no sheets covering them up IMO.

I think it will cost more money than they save by closing the corners especially the itchen north, surely the money they make from the bar/food should be enough to break even anyway. I took my wife today, she loved the atmosphere in the itchen north corner which added to the whole day even if the game was poor, now we are faced with losing and very little banter with the away fans. The attendance would have been better if the itchen corner had been opened, although there were plenty of spare seats its not just the football people enjoy it's the atmosphere to and I think that is what sfc need to realise.

I believe closing the itchen corner will have a negative affect on the atmosphere, players respond to atmosphere so it is important, not just for the fans but for the team. Why couldn't they move the family enclosure to the chapel end and close that corner, it's half empty anyway.

It's why some people didn't go. I know of season ticketers from those areas that haven't renewed.

yep and loads didnt go because there were no free buses I suppose.

Do you not see the silliness of not going just because the corners were closed.Is supporting Saints all about sitting in the corner?

A sad sight today was seeing the corners closed off, it reflects on the club in a very poor manner.

If I were Rupert Lowe or Michael Wilde, I would be paying to keep these areas of the ground open, out of my own pocket. These people are millionaires btw, what's a couple of hundred grand to the the people who are ultimately responsible for the position that we now find SFC.

it looked gash, we are gonna take some stick from away teams.

yep and loads didnt go because there were no free buses I suppose.

Do you not see the silliness of not going just because the corners were closed.Is supporting Saints all about sitting in the corner?

For some people (not me) it was the final straw. They were separated from their friends of many seasons. You insult your customer base at your peril.

For some people (not me) it was the final straw. They were separated from their friends of many seasons. You insult your customer base at your peril.
I understand that but we did the same when we moved stadia. I dont like it but it is not the clubs fault its the fault of the stay away fans.Where were the ones who were there for the Sheff u game ?

I understand that but we did the same when we moved stadia. I dont like it but it is not the clubs fault its the fault of the stay away fans.Where were the ones who were there for the Sheff u game ?

There are, of course, a lot of factors. We are still in the holiday season believe it or not. We can only guess at the reasons that they weren't here, but perhaps they didn't didn't fancy the new-look team? As a thought, how do you think that today's team would have fared against Sheffield Utd.?

I believe closing the itchen corner will have a negative affect on the atmosphere, players respond to atmosphere so it is important, not just for the fans but for the team. Why couldn't they move the family enclosure to the chapel end and close that corner, it's half empty anyway.

Because there are some people who don't want their children around alcohol and bad language - which is fair enough.

Again, another selfish view.

There are, of course, a lot of factors. We are still in the holiday season believe it or not. We can only guess at the reasons that they weren't here, but perhaps they didn't didn't fancy the new-look team? As a thought, how do you think that today's team would have fared against Sheffield Utd.?
A good question. In my heart I would say a draw, in my head a loss but again it depends if we hjad got a 2 goal lead like we should have had today.

The atmosphere in blocks 4 and 5 was generally excellent today (up until about the 70th minute, just like Saints' performance on the pitch), I was expecting it to be a bit rubbish but was pleasantly surprised.

Twas the same in the Northam/Kingsland. I didn't expect it to be loud at all, but it was very good.

The atmosphere in blocks 4 and 5 was generally excellent today (up until about the 70th minute, just like Saints' performance on the pitch), I was expecting it to be a bit rubbish but was pleasantly surprised.

Really?? Not being rude but I didn't hear a thing from the Itchen but TBF the Northam was terrible as well, thought the brum songs were the dullest ever.

Really?? Not being rude but I didn't hear a thing from the Itchen but TBF the Northam was terrible as well, thought the brum songs were the dullest ever.

Where were you sat? :rolleyes:

Also, what the hell is going on with the smilies? That was supposed to be the rolleyes one.

The only reason i feel the itchen north corner should be open is for the match atmosphere. Today i was in the chapel but the atmosphere was to be honest rubbish. We need the atmosphere flanking the the away fans generates. I don't think the other corners adds to this. I don't sit in the corners, so i'm not really being shelfish. I am thinking purely in terms of the match atmosphere...

The only reason i feel the itchen north corner should be open is for the match atmosphere. Today i was in the chapel but the atmosphere was to be honest rubbish. We need the atmosphere flanking the the away fans generates. I don't think the other corners adds to this. I don't sit in the corners, so i'm not really being shelfish. I am thinking purely in terms of the match atmosphere...
you have the eyes of a lobster.

these are the songs sung today

"small town in villa" 0/10

"barmy army" -2/10

"who are ye who are ye" 1/10

Think I'm going to sit in the middle of the Kingsland from now on cos the Northam is full of monkeys.

Kingsland north is the place to be, and has been for a fair few seasons now. Join us!

nickh, I see that you also have failed to understand the point that I am trying to put across.

I'm not blaming SFC at all nor am I blaming the fans, all I'm saying is that If I were Rupert Lowe or Michael Wilde, I would feel obliged to cover the costs of keeping the corners open, and other shortcomings, as they are the peole who are responsible for SFC being in the position that it now is.

Can you not see that, or do you see things differently ?

Kingsland north is the place to be, and has been for a fair few seasons now. Join us!
Spent two games there last season and vowed never to go back, think I'm too old for the singing areas now as I just feel embarassed when some thicko start singing something utterly gay, gonna start bringing a packed lunch and stop going to the pub pre-match.

barmy army ----it's not f*ckin cricket.

nickh, I see that you also have failed to understand the point that I am trying to put across.

I'm not blaming SFC at all nor am I blaming the fans, all I'm saying is that If I were Rupert Lowe or Michael Wilde, I would feel obliged to cover the costs of keeping the corners open, and other shortcomings, as they are the peole who are responsible for SFC being in the position that it now is.

Can you not see that, or do you see things differently ?

But for what reason? To throw a lot of money away to pander to a few fans is a nonsense.If they were to throw any money away it would be better to the squad.

As I said when the idea to close was mooted, if you wish for it to stay open wpould you pasy 3-4 times for the ticket to pay for the costs of doing so.Understanderbly you wouldnt so why should a business/club that is in serious financial trouble

very easy to spend other peoples money for them.

closing corners to me makes economic sense and is a minor isuue for all the moaners to bleat about.

Hand on heart, if I were in their position, I would be paying to keep the corners open and the free bus sevices going, but hey........I've got morals, so what do I know.

Spent two games there last season and vowed never to go back, think I'm too old for the singing areas now as I just feel embarassed when some thicko start singing something utterly gay, gonna start bringing a packed lunch and stop going to the pub pre-match.

barmy army ----it's not f*ckin cricket.

You are only to old for the singing areas when you are to old to let it bother you;)

The ticket office managed to sell me a ticket this morning for a closed part of the ground, in Block 39. I'm pretty sure there was a couple next to me who had the same issue. Ended up sitting right up the back of the Kingsland, next to the closed corner. It wasn't ideal.

Sort it out, Saints.

Hand on heart, if I were in their position, I would be paying to keep the corners open and the free bus sevices going, but hey........I've got morals, so what do I know.

your morals are strong but when the situation appeared you may change your mind.

It was like a classic bit on Fools and Horses when Del boy says 'if i had a million pounds Id give you half, if I had 2 rolls royces Id give you one.'

Rodney says ' if you had two gold watches would you give me 1' and Del replies 'Now you know I have 2 gold watches.'

But for what reason? To throw a lot of money away to pander to a few fans is a nonsense.If they were to throw any money away it would be better to the squad.

As I said when the idea to close was mooted, if you wish for it to stay open wpould you pasy 3-4 times for the ticket to pay for the costs of doing so.Understanderbly you wouldnt so why should a business/club that is in serious financial trouble

You don't get it do you ?.........I'm a fan, a supporter, happy to pay for my match day ticket and enjoy whatever fare is served up in front of me, I don't think that I should pay 3-4 times more than normal to keep the corners open or the free bus services going.

What I am saying is that if I were Rupert Lowe or Michael Wilde, I would feel obligated to cover these costs out of my own pocket due to my own incompetence over the last few years.

You don't get it do you ?.........I'm a fan, a supporter, happy to pay for my match day ticket and enjoy whatever fare is served up in front of me, I don't think that I should pay 3-4 times more than normal to keep the corners open or the free bus services going.

What I am saying is that if I were Rupert Lowe or Michael Wilde, I would feel obligated to cover these costs out of my own pocket due to my own incompetence over the last few years.

there you go you wish for somebody else to pay.I dont blame just RL for the clubs demise but a lot of factors.To keep a few seats open is a futile jesture IMO.

your morals are strong but when the situation appeared you may change your mind.

It was like a classic bit on Fools and Horses when Del boy says 'if i had a million pounds Id give you half, if I had 2 rolls royces Id give you one.'

Rodney says ' if you had two gold watches would you give me 1' and Del replies 'Now you know I have 2 gold watches.'

Nope.......you don't know me, money or moral obligation, moral obligation every time.

Honestly, if I were in the same position as Lowe and Wilde with their combined wealth, I'd be ashamed of myself.

Nope.......you don't know me, money or moral obligation, moral obligation every time.

Honestly, if I were in the same position as Lowe and Wilde with their combined wealth, I'd be ashamed of myself.

I hope you win the Euro millions.

there you go you wish for somebody else to pay.I dont blame just RL for the clubs demise but a lot of factors.To keep a few seats open is a futile jesture IMO.

nickh, tell me where you were when you heard that Sturrock had been sacked and wigley was now our 'first team coach', did you think 'Wow a stroke of genius' ?

I know where I was, and I know that I thought that Wigley was surely a temporary measure at most. I bet you thought that was forward thinking and a bold appointment when eveyone else were holding their heads in their hands. Rupert Lowe is incompetent for that atleast........if that had been my decision I would have definatetly felt responsible for the clubs predicament atm.

And how much of your money are you going to donate? Should all 18,000 of us today have donated an extra tenner instead of going to the pub at lunchtime? Of course not, we've all got other things to spend on, and RL & MW are no different. If you expect the board members to pay for this out of their own pocket, what else do you expect the board to pay for. Sorry, but this is not the way that companies, or football clubs are run, with the possible exception of Chelsea. The board are there to maximise the income and to focus spending in the most effective way, with the prime objective of creating a winning team. They do this by managing the club's resources, not by spending their own money, because as even people like Madejski and Jordan have found, not even a millionaire has enough money to subsidise a football club.

And how much of your money are you going to donate? Should all 18,000 of us today have donated an extra tenner instead of going to the pub at lunchtime? Of course not, we've all got other things to spend on, and RL & MW are no different. If you expect the board members to pay for this out of their own pocket, what else do you expect the board to pay for. Sorry, but this is not the way that companies, or football clubs are run, with the possible exception of Chelsea. The board are there to maximise the income and to focus spending in the most effective way, with the prime objective of creating a winning team. They do this by managing the club's resources, not by spending their own money, because as even people like Madejski and Jordan have found, not even a millionaire has enough money to subsidise a football club.

Have you taken the time to read the whole thread to understand where I'm coming from.........or does being an arse come naturally to you ?

It's not often I see a thread on here that gets me angry, but this one has.

Selfish sod as I said on TSF.

"I want to sit in the corner so I demand the Directors pay 200k".

I'm sorry you are in no way fit to be called a fan.

Here we are on the day that we are losing one of our bright hopes and best players, Andrew Davies because we cannot "allegedly" afford his wages.

Sorry mate but stuff you and your seat, if the Directors had 4k a week spare then we should be BEGGING them to put it towards HIS WAGES.

We are screwed, and can't keep our best hopes to 1) keep us up this season and 2) earn us big bucks next close season and you want the Board to pay for your seat.

Jeez, I have heard it all on here now