Poortvillet's Verdict

alpine_saint

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10453

Am I the only one worried about some of his comments ?

Firstly, it looks like we will be stuck with limited striker substitution options if we always have to have an extra defender on the bench to account for Killer. Considering he only plays one-up-front, this sounds suicidal to me.

Secondly, he seems to have no grasp on the Andrew Davies situation

Finally, is it wise to make these odd comments about Dyer and BWP in public ?

Firstly, it looks like we will be stuck with limited striker substitution options if we always have to have an extra defender on the bench to account for Killer. Considering he only plays one-up-front, this sounds suicidal to me.

Poortvillet OUT!!!

People only having a dig because it's Alpine that posted the thread..

FWIW I agree... we need a striker on the bench and having an extra defender on the bench for Killer is a waste, if thats the case why sell Davies and not try harder to flog Skacel/Euell.

It's slightly worrying that Poortvliet doesn't even know if a player is talking to another club.

FWIW I agree... we need a striker on the bench and having an extra defender on the bench for Killer is a waste, if thats the case why sell Davies and not try harder to flog Skacel/Euell.

It's slightly worrying that Poortvliet doesn't even know if a player is talking to another club.

A agree with him too.

The reason Poortvliet knows nothing about Davies is because he has no control and he is selecting the players he is told too.

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Like I said on another thread, the club is tinpot.

A agree with him too.

The reason Poortvliet knows nothing about Davies is because he has no control he is selecting the players he is told too.

I was also quite concerned that he doesnt seem to have gone out of his way to find out about Davies, despite him being injured.

I suspect Davies is another player ring-fenced for sale, so he's been told he doesnt need to look at him, and the club have simply kept this one quieter knowing he would generate more interest than the likes of Skacel.

I agree, it does show a lack of savvy. I fear that this man is in over his head. An inexperienced manager at this level, with inexperienced players is a recipe for relegation (I sincerely hope that I am wrong). Our bench today looked far to lightweight and it now appears that the manager knew this but was powerless to do anything about it.

I agree, it does show a lack of savvy. I fear that this man is in over his head. An inexperienced manager at this level, with inexperienced players is a recipe for relegation (I sincerely hope that I am wrong). Our bench today looked far to lightweight and it now appears that the manager knew this but was powerless to do anything about it.

I fear that Mr Poortvillet has been bought in as some sort of whipping boy, (In no way am I saying that he has been bought in to deflect attention from Messers R. Lowe & M Wilde) 8-[

He is working within a remit given to him by Lowe,and within that remit will probably be,Lowe "sorry Jan we are in the shi7e financially i will let you know your'e squad that you can choose from 24 hrs prior to the next game" His reply "Yesh mister lowe"

I truly believe JP is as much in the dark to who is staying and who is going as we are ref takeovers.all IMO.;)

Why is anyone surprised that JP knows nothing about which players are moving. Remember... we are moving away from 'Gaffer' culture. This means a move away from the 'English' way of the manager knowing what is going on with his playing staff, towards a continental approach whereby the Head Coach is given a pool of players and these are ususally chosen for him. some would say this is a good way so the clubs finances are in order first and foremost, some would say it's a means for the President (Lowe and Wilde) to have more input into football matters.

Very good post , exactly echoing my thoughts upon reading the same Portvliet comments, He comes across as not having his finger completely on the pulse at at sfc.

I don't understand why this is a surprise to some people. It's been obvious since Poortvliet's arrival that we'd be employing a more continental structure so Jan has less say about the players that a traditional English Manager. Personally I'm nto so keen on that aspect of it, but lets not pretend it's a surprise. Jan's only fault IMO is that he is perhaps a bt too honest about what he knows or otherwise... other managers would've given a more political answer, but Jan seems to be completely honest. His role is to concentrate on coaching the first team, so other aspects are not within his remit.

Only other comment I'd make is that the 'one up front' comment is misleading and the way it is played very much sees the wide front men join up with the striker when the ball is ciming in from the opposite flank or through the middle... bearing in mind the chances that Holmes, Gillett, McGoldrick, Lallana and Schneiderlin had today, not to mention Holmes' goal on Tuesday, I'd have thought that the movement and desire for others to get into the box to support the front man was obvious (mainly first half I admit, but still, it's there for all to see). Of course it needs developing further, but to suggest we 'only' have one upfront is misleading.

I don't understand why this is a surprise to some people. It's been obvious since Poortvliet's arrival that we'd be employing a more continental structure so Jan has less say about the players that a traditional English Manager. Personally I'm nto so keen on that aspect of it, but lets not pretend it's a surprise. Jan's only fault IMO is that he is perhaps a bt too honest about what he knows or otherwise... other managers would've given a more political answer, but Jan seems to be completely honest. His role is to concentrate on coaching the first team, so other aspects are not within his remit.

Only other comment I'd make is that the 'one up front' comment is misleading and the way it is played very much sees the wide front men join up with the striker when the ball is ciming in from the opposite flank or through the middle... bearing in mind the chances that Holmes, Gillett, McGoldrick, Lallana and Schneiderlin had today, not to mention Holmes' goal on Tuesday, I'd have thought that the movement and desire for others to get into the box to support the front man was obvious (mainly first half I admit, but still, it's there for all to see). Of course it needs developing further, but to suggest we 'only' have one upfront is misleading.

I agree.

We do need another forward. i would suggest Matt Tubbs from salisbury, yes he is unproven but fook me get him inside the penalty box and he will finish for you. showed his ability against forrest and in both games ran them ragged. would be cheap and i think well worth a punt. can play out wide aswell if needed.

i think alpines actually got a point.

reading portvliets post match comments made me scared ****less. I will be so ****ed off if they sneak andrew davies out the back door, he is EXACTLY the sort of player we need on the pitch at the moment.

2-1 sounds like it could become a common score for us this season, if we can't keep control of our few strong players. I wasn't a big fan of rasiak, but for the manager to make those comments about a lack of strikers 2 BLOODY DAYS AFTER HE GOES ON LOAN is retarded. simple as that.

I'm already fed up of getting up at 7 in the morning hung over to listen to saints lose, and the season is only a week old!

i'm off for a pint.

Like you said, when things went a bit tits up you looked at the subs and thought "who the hell can he bring on to get us back in it"? I don't think AlpineSaint's points were anything but realistic and true.

Same goes for JP not knowing about the potential transfer of one of our best players. I don't see how his is "negative" thinking just genuinely worrying?

im afraid that finances comes first and the football second,it not nice but we have to take our medicine,you all knew it was coming so why the surprise?

A lingering painful death as opposed to a blaze of glory, right ?

Well, when my time comes, I'd want it to be quick, for my sake and my loved ones........

A lingering painful death as opposed to a blaze of glory, right ?

Well, when my time comes, I'd want it to be quick, for my sake and my loved ones........

'DO NOT RESUSCITATE' tattooed on your forehead would do the trick then.

on another thread somebody was talking about advertising in the closed corners, perhaps we could just put 'do not resuscitate' in large letters instead.

chin up only another 9 months to go.

Edited by lordswoodsaints

There's no suggestion in the first comment that this will always be the case; it's just that Killer had played his first proper competitive game in years at Cardiff, and they wanted to be sure that there was adequate cover for him.

Other than that, Poortvliet's being open and honest - I'm not sure I feel totally happy about the Dyer and BWP comments either though. As to Davies, he might have done better to simply say 'no comment', but then that would have been interpreted in any manner of ways. And the system of Poortvliet having little, if any, say in which players are at the club is rather what I'd have expected - and quite possibly pretty much the way in which he himself is used to working. I wouldn't say that this equates to having somebody else actually picking the team, as some have implied.

Although I share the concerns mentioned in the opening thread I will at least applaud JP's honesty - it is refreshing to hear a manager, sorry head coach, tell things as they are. But Svensson's knee is even more important now Davies looks like he is going and just what is wrong with Dyer and BWP.

We are tetering on the edge of a precipice no doubt about it.

The thing that concerned me yesterday was that JP did not seem very animated on the touchline. During the pre-season friendlies he was. Reading his rather downbeat comments, coupled with the "Surman to Reading" rumours this morning may go some way to explaining his body language yesterday.

This is extremely worrying. If it is connected, then this would suggest that JP has to give up on even more players than was initialy agreed by Lowe.

If (and I repeat for my detractors, if) this is the case, JP probably needs to be looking for a new position.

The last thing this club needs is to drag itself through ANOTHER season with a disinterested and demotivated manager, and he aint likely to get the Dutch job over Van Basten, is he ?

JP has clarified the Andrew Davies Situation on the OS

This is extremely worrying. If it is connected, then this would suggest that JP has to give up on even more players than was initialy agreed by Lowe.

If (and I repeat for my detractors, if) this is the case, JP probably needs to be looking for a new position.

The last thing this club needs is to drag itself through ANOTHER season with a disinterested and demotivated manager, and he aint likely to get the Dutch job over Van Basten, is he ?

Sometime you make some good, interesting points. Most times you simply make negative, mischevious 'headlines'.

Are you a fan or a critic of SFC?

Fans can see both good and bad, you appear to only see bad - yet have no solution.

What a load of completely fabricated made-up twaddle.

Perhaps we should all just make stuff up and then pretend we are right.