Step forward Olly Lancashire

Bailey

With the impending departure of Davies to Stoke, it looks like Saints are not only relying on Svensson to stay fit for the majority of the season, but that they're putting alot of faith in Olly Lancashire too.

Was wondering what people's thoughts were of him? Do those that have seen him play believe he is ready?

Having seen him play on numerous occasions for both the reserves and the youth team respectively, I am cautiously optimistic that he'll make the step up confidently and do a good job for the team.

Thoughts?

He used to go to my school, remember watching him having a kickabout with his mates at break and thinking 'f*ck, he's good'. Whether he can make the step up from playground football to championship football is another matter though

Personally, with Killer looking a bit dodgy (who knows when his knee is going to go again) and with Davies (allegedly) being sold to Stoke, I don't see that there are that many people who can play at CB for us. So let's give him a chance.

People seem to be putting a huge amount of faith in Davies, and predicting a remarkable amount of doom if he leaves. It all strikes me as over the top. I don't mean to detract from Davies' quality: he's an excellent player. But I don't see how he can be the making or breaking of this team. CB happens to be a position where we are particularly strong: with the return of Svensson, the signing of Wotton (who has played as much at CB as at CM, and may now be better suited to CB), Lancashire's return to fitness, and the emergence of Racine, to add to Perry and Thomas, we have better depth at CB than just about any other position, even without Davies.

Lighten up folks: it's a metter of letting the team gel and mature, we're moving in the right direction.

As to the basic question, can Lancashire replace Davies: as neither of them has played a game this season, it's not clear what there is to say about that.

People seem to be putting a huge amount of faith in Davies, and predicting a remarkable amount of doom if he leaves. It all strikes me as over the top. I don't mean to detract from Davies' quality: he's an excellent player. But I don't see how he can be the making or breaking of this team. CB happens to be a position where we are particularly strong: with the return of Svensson, the signing of Wotton (who has played as much at CB as at CM, and may now be better suited to CB), Lancashire's return to fitness, and the emergence of Racine, to add to Perry and Thomas, we have better depth at CB than just about any other position, even without Davies.

Lighten up folks: it's a metter of letting the team gel and mature, we're moving in the right direction.

As to the basic question, can Lancashire replace Davies: as neither of them has played a game this season, it's not clear what there is to say about that.

Agree. The names above look accurate, which means with Davies we have 6 centre backs, which is about 6 more than we had this time last year! With Svensson's return having been unexpected, there seems to be scope to let one go without all the doom-laden predictions from some of the worried souls on here. If the speculation is correct, that Davies can activate a clause in his contract to enforce a move, the decision of which one should go is not under the club's control. But that is often the case as all moves involve at least three three parties, whereas some people seem to think that SFC have total control. They do not! (Fact) (end of) (unless someone else knows better).

No, At Brentford on loan. He is wasted there, one of the best natural centre backs I have seen (Palace notwithstanding), He would be ideal alongside Killer.

He's only there for a month initially, so we might be able to get him after September 8th. Surely we can pay his wages if Brentford can?

But it's not just a question of numbers is it ?

You could have 20 Centre Backs at the club but if none of them were any good your defence would still be rubbish . There are question marks over all the players you mention :

Lancashire - untried and frequently injured , could be great could be rubbish who knows ?

Perry - can do a job but at 35 well past his prime

Wotton - do we really want a journeyman midfielder playing at the heart of the defence ?

Svensson - great when fit but risky to rely upon every game

Thomas - I like him but many on here don't , is he for sell as well ?

Racine - at 16 he's one for the future , not today surly

It's probably a waste of time arguing about it , Andrew Davies will leave and we'll just have to make the best of a bad job . But make no mistake the squad will be significantly the weaker for his departure .

Part or the Surman deal?

Good call.

It could be a bit difficult, though - I believe loans of less than 3 months aren't recallable, so Bennett couldn't move to us until after the transfer window closes, when Surman would have to be gone. I suppose they could both move on loan as soon as possible, and then put the full transfer through in the January window?

Wotton - do we really want a journeyman midfielder playing at the heart of the defence ?

I feel it's a bit unfair calling Wotton a journeyman - he's been at Plymouth for 14 years, and has played almost 400 games for them. Whether he's actually any good is, of course, another matter...