Another whisky george thread

saintkiptanui

Yep the signing of Andrew Davies will not cause any upset when he is sold...oh and Baird and Bale and KJ all three were below the radar when he arrived. Anyway this has been done to death and he has left us like thep layers and managers before.Just another scapegoat.It will be great when you provide photo evidence of him being drunk.

Without wanting to start #252578365 slagging off Burley thread, i would genuinely feel safer giving £7mill to Lowe to spend on players then to Burley. And that's saying something!

Glad you added and thats saying something. Hopefully you would not even consider it. Bye the way when you do give it out, you know you can trust me.

Yep the signing of Andrew Davies will not cause any upset when he is sold...oh and Baird and Bale and KJ all three were below the radar when he arrived. Anyway this has been done to death and he has left us like thep layers and managers before.Just another scapegoat.It will be great when you provide photo evidence of him being drunk.

How does a picture prove someone is drunk??

I have said for some time (as some of you know) that burley was an embarrassment for us last season and was generally an utter failure in his time here...it was such a pity that so many decided to bury their heads in the sand about him and not put a tad bit of pressure on him...

what a sad man and I really pity scotland as he is easily one of the most tactically imept manager I have seen..

we will be paying for his failures for years...

I have said for some time (as some of you know) that burley was an embarrassment for us last season and was generally an utter failure in his time here...it was such a pity that so many decided to bury their heads in the sand about him and not put a tad bit of pressure on him...

what a sad man and I really pity scotland as he is easily one of the most tactically imept manager I have seen..

It makes me LOL when I see cars with "In St. George we trust" car stickers still on them.

i have said for some time (as some of you know) that burley was an embarrassment for us last season and was generally an utter failure in his time here...it was such a pity that so many decided to bury their heads in the sand about him and not put a tad bit of pressure on him...

What a sad man and i really pity scotland as he is easily one of the most tactically imept manager i have seen..

We will be paying for his failures for years...

lol

Maybe those of us who saw whim for what he was should have tried harder to convince others, despite the avalanche of abuse we got.

Maybe those of us who saw whim for what he was should have tried harder to convince others, despite the avalanche of abuse we got.

Tell me how you, DD or Windmill arms were ever qualified to pass comment - between you, you went to 1 or 2 games last season! No doubt the "Burley OUT 3" will manage the same 'support' this season too?

How long till the poortvliet OUT campaign? oh wait you started that yesterday - after just 2 games!!!

Joker

Tell me how you, DD or Windmill arms were ever qualified to pass comment - between you, you went to 1 or 2 games last season! No doubt the "Burley OUT 3" will manage the same 'support' this season too?

Nevertheless, we were right and you were just plain f**king wrong.

Deal with it.

How long till the poortvliet OUT campaign? oh wait you started that yesterday - after just 2 games!!!

Joker

didnt even have to go to a game to be right..lol

what was those stats you used to love..??

unbeaten in what again?

lol

I will miss burleys comedy arm waving to 'gee up' the team..

I just have to think of those midfield line-ups and formations and I shudder......

I was actually numb on the inside last season..

the very fact people loved pearson so much after winning a grand total of 3 games and saving us on the last day of the season just shows how UTTERLY PATHETIC burley was...I will try and refrain from going on about it as it does me no good at all....

I was actually numb on the inside last season..

the very fact people loved pearson so much after winning a grand total of 3 games and saving us on the last day of the season just shows how UTTERLY PATHETIC burley was...I will try and refrain from going on about it as it does me no good at all....

It might have been only 3 games, but included Sheff Utd. and Bristol City, possibly the most important performance since relegation.

Burley was losing to the teams around and conceeding 5 to the likes of Sheff Wed and Preston...

Is this just a 'practice thread' for the same old faces who want to dig the knife deep, give it a good old twist and then kick the guy in the ******** on the way down, at the first sign of trouble.

Instead of raking over old ground, continually hounding a manager who, whether you like it or not has gone on to bigger and better things - why not support the current manager, look for some positives (theres plenty there), support the team you profess to love and stop 'ucking whinging at every conceivable opportunity. Who knows - you might actually start to enjoy supporting Saints.

Is this just a 'practice thread' for the same old faces who want to dig the knife deep, give it a good old twist and then kick the guy in the ******** on the way down, at the first sign of trouble.

Instead of raking over old ground, continually hounding a manager who, whether you like it or not has gone on to bigger and better things - why not support the current manager, look for some positives (theres plenty there), support the team you profess to love and stop 'ucking whinging at every conceivable opportunity. Who knows - you might actually start to enjoy supporting Saints.

sorry..but i have done nothing but support the new manager..i think he is a breath of fresh air...I also think we will be fine this season and had never suggested anything else..

I apologise if that does not fit in with your stereo typical view of me but there you go...

sorry..but i have done nothing but support the new manager..i think he is a breath of fresh air...I also think we will be fine this season and had never suggested anything else..

I apologise if that does not fit in with your stereo typical view of me but there you go...

Glad to hear it - so why not get yourself off to Scotland then for their next match and vent your fury at George as he stands at the dug out. He's left the building - gone, moved on - why can't others, eh?

Nevertheless, we were right and you were just plain f**king wrong.

Deal with it.

this is the man who hates arrogance.

Where is the proof you were right.When GB was there you wanted 'anyone but GB.'

You were told we'd get G&D .that's what happened a FACT, and so you were wrong.It is the only fact in the arguement as when GB left we were safe from relegation. Nobody can say what would have happend if he had stayed, some might say a final push for playoffs others a decent into the relegation mire.

May I alos point out that DD is excited about this new man but then behind the statement about all the players in the wrong positions. On saturday we had 2 midfielders at right back.

How does a picture prove someone is drunk??

Are you serious? If you are a drunk and said to be knocking on pubs doors in the early hours staggering around hotel foyers pictures are very suitable. GB has been in a high profile job for a national team. It would be sensational news and a scoop for the tabloids to get such a story, nothing yet.It is all figments of the imagination and was used byt the unhappy fans to destabilise the club manager. They should be ashamed.

the very fact people loved pearson so much after winning a grand total of 3 games and saving us on the last day of the season just shows how UTTERLY PATHETIC burley was...

I personally think it actually reflects more on the complete lack of intelligence of supporters that someone with a win ratio of 21% can be hailed a "fantastic manager" and yet someone with a win ratio of 41% is "utterly clueless" and a "complete disaster"...

In my opinion, the main "crime" of the Burley era wasn't the "legacy" he's left us with - after all, Burley wouldn't have been the one who negotiated fees and wages with the selling clubs and the players - it was those above him who didn't think to ask "yes, these players may contribute, but are they REALLY worth £Xm and £Yk per week?". It was all "very good, sir". How many boards of directors at multi-million pound turnover companies would allow such massive expenditure without it being discussed and approved at board level?

Are people now realising what a job he has done on us, his shocking buys have left us up to our eyeballs in sh*t.

Another broad sweeping generalisation similar to the one that you made on another thread stating that every game we played last season was crap. Of course, the truth was that although taken overall it was not a great season, in the same way there were signings by GB that were good ones. Presumably it's fine to forget the money raised by selling those players who were good buys, whilst concentrating only on those who were not.

And concrete evidence of Burley's liking for a drop of the water of life, (although a penchant that most Scots have) being a hindrance to his management abilities would be appreciated. If you cannot furnish evidence of it being a problem, then I suggest that you do not peddle it as a fact.

I personally think it actually reflects more on the complete lack of intelligence of supporters that someone with a win ratio of 21% can be hailed a "fantastic manager" and yet someone with a win ratio of 41% is "utterly clueless" and a "complete disaster"...

In my opinion, the main "crime" of the Burley era wasn't the "legacy" he's left us with - after all, Burley wouldn't have been the one who negotiated fees and wages with the selling clubs and the players - it was those above him who didn't think to ask "yes, these players may contribute, but are they REALLY worth £Xm and £Yk per week?". It was all "very good, sir". How many boards of directors at multi-million pound turnover companies would allow such massive expenditure without it being discussed and approved at board level?

You have a point Steve and I guess we don't really know the intricacies of the Burley/Hone dynamics to judge how much he "persuaded" Hone to push the boat out but, you must admit, some of Burley's buys (in hindsight agreed) were wasteful under the tight financial circumstances we were in. I know a few Burnley fans for instance and they laughed like drains when they heard we had taken Thomas off their hands for over a million.

Incidentally I see Fuller scored for Stoke on Saturday - letting him go was another Burley mistake imo. OK all managers make mistakes it just seems Burley was a little too careless and perhaps a little too dogmatic.

You have a point Steve and I guess we don't really know the intricacies of the Burley/Hone dynamics to judge how much he "persuaded" Hone to push the boat out but, you must admit, some of Burley's buys (in hindsight agreed) were wasteful under the tight financial circumstances we were in. I know a few Burnley fans for instance and they laughed like drains when they heard we had taken Thomas off their hands for over a million.

Incidentally I see Fuller scored for Stoke on Saturday - letting him go was another Burley mistake imo. OK all managers make mistakes it just seems Burley was a little too careless and perhaps a little too dogmatic.

A manager wants to buy, if the board agree he gets the player.If the board say no he doesnt.

Fuller i agree with but you know how the fans were with him, he had no chance whatso ever to suceed with us and so had to be released, much to the satisfaction of Stoke.

You have a point Steve and I guess we don't really know the intricacies of the Burley/Hone dynamics to judge how much he "persuaded" Hone to push the boat out but, you must admit, some of Burley's buys (in hindsight agreed) were wasteful under the tight financial circumstances we were in.

Given Hone's brash style, it makes it all the more surprising that he didn't attempt to exercise some sort of control over what was being spent.

I do think that we probably paid over the odds for *most* of Burley's buys, but I guess some of that comes from us still being perceived as a big fish in the Championship at the time. However, I've just looked down the list of players we signed under Burley, and there aren't many who haven't contributed:

05/06:

Bartosz Bialkowski (nominal)

Jim Brennan (free)

Alexander Ostlund (free)

Grzegorz Rasiak (£2m)

Darren Potter (loan)

Peter Madsen (loan)

Jermaine Wright (loan)

Richard Chaplow (loan)

Marcelo Sarmiento (loan)

Of those, only Sarmiento didn't contribute.

06/07:

Bradley Wright-Phillips (£750k)

Jermaine Wright (free)

Pele (£850k)

Kelvin Davis (£1m)

Rudi Skacel (£1.6m)

Jhon Viafara (£800k)

Chris Makin (free)

Inigo Idiakez (£250k)

Marek Saganowski (loan)

Danny Guthrie (loan)

Of those, Idiakez didn't contribute much that season (but was very influential after Burley had gone, perversely), and Skacel hasn't come close to living up to his reputation and price tag. Other than that, no real issues, particularly considering we somehow made a profit on Pele.

07/08:

Marek Saganowski (£650k)

Youssef Safri (£200k)

Wayne Thomas (£1m)

Jason Euell (free)

Stern John (free)

Andrew Davies (£1m)

Adam Hammill (loan)

Gregory Vignal (loan)

Alan Bennett (loan)

Christian Dailly (loan)

Phil Ifil (loan)

Stephen O'Halloran (loan)

Since signing permanently, Saganowski hasn't done much, and Thomas was at least £500k too expensive. Other than that, the only gripe is with Euell's wages and his early performances. He was another, like Idiakez, who pulled his finger out under Pearson and finally showed that he was worth a place in the team.

I know a few Burnley fans for instance and they laughed like drains when they heard we had taken Thomas off their hands for over a million.

Yeah, we got robbed there, but in the club's defence we were at the point of desperation in our search for a centre back as it was a week before the season started. I guess we'll never know whether that position was made a priority at the end of the previous season (when Baird was sold), but it certainly looked from the outside as though we weren't really looking very hard during that summer.

That'll be the only goal he scores this season, I suspect. He scored on his home debut for Pompey in the Premier League and then failed to score in 20-odd games after that. I'm not too sure what the reasons for letting Fuller go were, he'd finally found his feet for us at the end of the previous season and it seemed as though the fans were finally off his back, so to get rid of him then seemed very odd.

Given Hone's brash style, it makes it all the more surprising that he didn't attempt to exercise some sort of control over what was being spent.

I do think that we probably paid over the odds for *most* of Burley's buys, but I guess some of that comes from us still being perceived as a big fish in the Championship at the time. However, I've just looked down the list of players we signed under Burley, and there aren't many who haven't contributed:

05/06:

Bartosz Bialkowski (nominal)

Jim Brennan (free)

Alexander Ostlund (free)

Grzegorz Rasiak (£2m)

Darren Potter (loan)

Peter Madsen (loan)

Jermaine Wright (loan)

Richard Chaplow (loan)

Marcelo Sarmiento (loan)

Of those, only Sarmiento didn't contribute.

06/07:

Bradley Wright-Phillips (£750k)

Jermaine Wright (free)

Pele (£850k)

Kelvin Davis (£1m)

Rudi Skacel (£1.6m)

Jhon Viafara (£800k)

Chris Makin (free)

Inigo Idiakez (£250k)

Marek Saganowski (loan)

Danny Guthrie (loan)

Of those, Idiakez didn't contribute much that season (but was very influential after Burley had gone, perversely), and Skacel hasn't come close to living up to his reputation and price tag. Other than that, no real issues, particularly considering we somehow made a profit on Pele.

07/08:

Marek Saganowski (£650k)

Youssef Safri (£200k)

Wayne Thomas (£1m)

Jason Euell (free)

Stern John (free)

Andrew Davies (£1m)

Adam Hammill (loan)

Gregory Vignal (loan)

Alan Bennett (loan)

Christian Dailly (loan)

Phil Ifil (loan)

Stephen O'Halloran (loan)

Since signing permanently, Saganowski hasn't done much, and Thomas was at least £500k too expensive. Other than that, the only gripe is with Euell's wages and his early performances. He was another, like Idiakez, who pulled his finger out under Pearson and finally showed that he was worth a place in the team.

Yeah, we got robbed there, but in the club's defence we were at the point of desperation in our search for a centre back as it was a week before the season started. I guess we'll never know whether that position was made a priority at the end of the previous season (when Baird was sold), but it certainly looked from the outside as though we weren't really looking very hard during that summer.

That'll be the only goal he scores this season, I suspect. He scored on his home debut for Pompey in the Premier League and then failed to score in 20-odd games after that. I'm not too sure what the reasons for letting Fuller go were, he'd finally found his feet for us at the end of the previous season and it seemed as though the fans were finally off his back, so to get rid of him then seemed very odd.

that is a great summary and we have facts regarding purchases.Everyone will have their own opinion about each player but overall they were ok signings.

Rudi was the expensive mistake, but I odubt any of us would have expected him to fail so miserably especially as he did so well in Scotland and was a prolific scorer.

[quote

If I was Fuller, I would have had absolutely no desire to play for this club and would have been desperate to get away from here as soon as possible, we paid £90,000 for him and even when he started scoring "fans" were still giving him outrageous grief.

If I was Fuller, I would have had absolutely no desire to play for this club and would have been desperate to get away from here as soon as possible, we paid £90,000 for him and even when he started scoring "fans" were still giving him outrageous grief.

Totally agree. Some of the abuse he received from his own supporters was absolutely shocking and I don't blame him for a second for being more than happy to move to Stoke where the fans might at least give him a chance.

It wasn't his fault Redknapp wanted to sign him from Pompey, and it wasn't his fault that Redknapp insisted on playing him for 90 minutes every game despite very very clearly not being anywhere near match fit.

Are you serious? If you are a drunk and said to be knocking on pubs doors in the early hours staggering around hotel foyers pictures are very suitable. GB has been in a high profile job for a national team. It would be sensational news and a scoop for the tabloids to get such a story, nothing yet.It is all figments of the imagination and was used byt the unhappy fans to destabilise the club manager. They should be ashamed.

Would it really?

Football manager in getting drunk shock?

It would only be a story if he thumped someone or got caught with a lady-boy / young player, drunk driving etc...

that is a great summary and we have facts regarding purchases.Everyone will have their own opinion about each player but overall they were ok signings.

Rudi was the expensive mistake, but I odubt any of us would have expected him to fail so miserably especially as he did so well in Scotland and was a prolific scorer.

You are quite wrong IMO.

In Rudi's first season we had by far the best left side of any team in the division.

Rudi was instrumental in this but unfortunately because he didn't score 10 goals most fans can't see this.

Thomas, Idiakez, Wright-Phillips, Ostlund, Pele were all awful signings.

I couldn't give a toss about Burley's drinking habits. Some of the greatest managers were/are ****heads - Clough and Ferguson to name two.

What I do care about is his baffling team selections, his inexplicable treatment of Skacel and Rasiak, and his selection of the crap Leon Best for the play-offs.

He gave me the impression that a never gave a sh*t about us.

I couldn't give a toss about Burley's drinking habits. Some of the greatest managers were/are ****heads - Clough and Ferguson to name two.

What I do care about is his baffling team selections, his inexplicable treatment of Skacel and Rasiak, and his selection of the crap Leon Best for the play-offs.

Agree with that bit completely.

burley gave as much care for us as redknapp did...why else can you explain some utterly strange selections etc

All are valid views.

Only the manager and staff know players attitude and form from the training. Drew was first used as a LB by GB. Rudi as was pointed out was never a LB before he joined, now fans are sayng he should be played there. Can you not see that it is odd opinions when we now accept these things on a saturday. BWP was played out on the wing, G&D and NP did the same and there was little question. Morgan has played at c/h. THese3 things happen in a thin squad, our fans got edgy and as soon as these thigs were triedthey were rubbished immediately.

All are valid views.

Only the manager and staff know players attitude and form from the training. Drew was first used as a LB by GB. Rudi as was pointed out was never a LB before he joined, now fans are sayng he should be played there. Can you not see that it is odd opinions when we now accept these things on a saturday. BWP was played out on the wing, G&D and NP did the same and there was little question. Morgan has played at c/h. THese3 things happen in a thin squad, our fans got edgy and as soon as these thigs were triedthey were rubbished immediately.

Um - yeah, he was.

We hardly had a thin squad under Burley either.

The only time we were thin was at the back at the start of last season.

You are quite wrong IMO.

In Rudi's first season we had by far the best left side of any team in the division.

Rudi was instrumental in this but unfortunately because he didn't score 10 goals most fans can't see this.

Thomas, Idiakez, Wright-Phillips, Ostlund, Pele were all awful signings.

I will accept Rudi made Bale look better by his overlapping and interplay with him, but the expectations were not matched and he couldnt hold down a place.There must be something wrong if a player of that cost is not able to do so.

I will accept Rudi made Bale look better by his overlapping and interplay with him, but the expectations were not matched and he couldnt hold down a place.There must be something wrong if a player of that cost is not able to do so.

mate...neither could rasiak depsite litterally scoring for fun...burley was incompetant or mental

You know, I saw a guy in the Northam stand at St Marys, sat about a row in front of me to the right a bit who looked like a grumpy old drunk, looked a bit scruffy too like Sturrock, but I doubt the person I saw was actually drunk, infact, he probably didn't have a drop of alcohol all day and is probably a decent enough chap :D

Im sorry benjii but Rudi hiomself put out an article saying he had never played l/b before and was learning.Do not get me wrong Id love him to come into the side.

I have to agree...when i was mad at GB playing him there some stuck for burley saying he was a LB at marseille.....but he said that he played there one or two times in his whole career..

mate...neither could rasiak depsite litterally scoring for fun...burley was incompetant or mental
Rasaik did not score for fun the 2nd season.It all went pear shaped for him when he got all precious when Drew was to take the pen for his hattrick.

Rasaik did not score for fun the 2nd season.It all went pear shaped for him when he got all precious when Drew was to take the pen for his hattrick.

he was our top goal scorer..and the main threat before he was dropped for no real apparent reason...

oh yes, there was a reason but that is not for this board..