PlayStation Home

Baj

So what do those who have it think then? Good or bad? I have not got on there yet as get some sort of error, don't think i've done something right :( will have a proper look when i get back home tonight. I have never used one of these types of thingy's before (2nd life etc..) so should be interesting!

I was one of the lucky ones to get a Home BETA invite a couple of weeks ago. Ive been on it a few times, but i must say, its early days yet.

Ive read posts on other forums from people moaning how basic it is and there "isnt much to do"...what they are forgetting is that it a BETA version and that the full version isnt available yet.

I like the way you can design how you look etc, and that (eventually) there will be scope to design your apartment (that seems to be in Ocean village)

But, like every other chat room, its just so full of nerds and paedo's. I was on there last night for about 10 mins to show my mrs what the fuss was about, whilst i was in the main plaza bit there was a female character there called something like "GERMAN_GIRL".

Now, she was getting a lot of attention. she had about 30 blokes all following her around. as soon as she stopped, they would all gather round waving and saying "Hi". You could just imagine them sat there in their gaming chair, messing their pants over the fact they are talking to a girl.

it will be good to see how Home develops in the future though.

I was one of the lucky ones to get a Home BETA invite a couple of weeks ago. Ive been on it a few times, but i must say, its early days yet.

Ive read posts on other forums from people moaning how basic it is and there "isnt much to do"...what they are forgetting is that it a BETA version and that the full version isnt available yet.

I like the way you can design how you look etc, and that (eventually) there will be scope to design your apartment (that seems to be in Ocean village)

But, like every other chat room, its just so full of nerds and paedo's. I was on there last night for about 10 mins to show my mrs what the fuss was about, whilst i was in the main plaza bit there was a female character there called something like "GERMAN_GIRL".

Now, she was getting a lot of attention. she had about 30 blokes all following her around. as soon as she stopped, they would all gather round waving and saying "Hi". You could just imagine them sat there in their gaming chair, messing their pants over the fact they are talking to a girl.

it will be good to see how Home develops in the future though.

I was quite surprised by the fact that when we set up an avatar for my girlfriend to use, she didn't get hassled too much whilst roaming around the plaza. In fact there seemed to be a few female avatars on at the time, and none of them seemed to be drawing too much attention. Most people were too busy trying out their dance moves :D

I was quite surprised by the fact that when we set up an avatar for my girlfriend to use, she didn't get hassled too much whilst roaming around the plaza. In fact there seemed to be a few female avatars on at the time, and none of them seemed to be drawing too much attention. Most people were too busy trying out their dance moves :D

i have just set mine up...not a great deal to do..tried playing pool and bowling but the slots were full...

also, have i missed something....what is the attraction with a cartoon character? do you see the real deal or something at some point...:confused:

Quite impressed to be honest. OK, there isn't much to do, but let's remember that this is completely free and available to everyone everywhere. People go on about the Xbox, but Sony really are pulling ahead here IMO.

Oh, and I just like playing chess. Haven't played for years.

i have just set mine up...not a great deal to do..tried playing pool and bowling but the slots were full...

also, have i missed something....what is the attraction with a cartoon character? do you see the real deal or something at some point...:confused:

Which cartoon character is that? do you mean your avatar? You can customise that in your apartment.

More stuff will come online over the next days and weeks I imagine. The bowling is good if you can get on. I haven't managed to play pool yet though.

Which cartoon character is that? do you mean your avatar? You can customise that in your apartment.

More stuff will come online over the next days and weeks I imagine. The bowling is good if you can get on. I haven't managed to play pool yet though.

yes....

cant see how anyone would get excited about a female character...

yes....

cant see how anyone would get excited about a female character...

Those who in real life are prevented from talking to women because they are ugly, boring or have restraining orders...

I think the coolest thing in Home is the seamless streaming of trailers in the background on screens which you can just go and watch...

I'm looking forward to seeing how they make use of the movie theatre, a lot of opportunity there.

Had a decent play around with it last night. It's quite cool, but obviously there's not much there at the minute. Some of the arcade games are quite good though.

It'll be interesting to see what stuff is added to it in the next few weeks.

Does anyone know why some people appear as see-thru characters when you first log on.

My guess is it's just taking time to render the avatars, it happens whenever you move from one area to another. Bear in mind that each avatar is probably going to be customised, so each one has to be downloaded and rendered before you can see them. Add to that the fact that there could be a few hundred in the plaza alone :eek:

I was on there for a bit, watched people talking in convos and stuff in the Drakes room when someone said they were a girl or something. Suddenly turned into what can only be described as 300 people trying it on with the person (who was probably really a boy) talking in a language i don't understand. Turned it off.

Now that s not me slagging off Home, i actually think it is an ok idea. Just in general my hour or so experience of it made me think/feel i was waaaay to old to be on there. The penguin game was ok tho!

I don't see the point if its not 'on' when u switch on the machine - it should be like a hub for the games, rather than the main menu.. completely agree with the mass heckling of girls, it was ridiculous - all i wanted to do was play draughts and i have 200 messages popping up 'r u hot?!1' to some girl... despicable.

I like to sue the makers of the sketch, i have no PS3

The Sketch was actually pretty nice in comparison to the write up they did with it. Penny Arcade are generally quite funny (not played their games though) but they really chewed into Home's ass.

This is what they said

"The Beta for Playstation home is now available to everyone, and now you know what I know: this is what happens when your marketing department tries to make a game. Here is everything you need to understand about Home, if you should accidentally launch it from your XMB: press and hold the Playstation button in the center of your Dual-Shock or Sixaxis controller. From the menu that appears, select Quit.

There are things about Home that are simply beyond my understanding. Chief among these bizarre maneuvers is the idea that, when manufacturing their flimsy dystopia, they actually ported the pernicious notion of scarcity from our world into their digital one. This is like having the ability to shape being from non-being at the subatomic level, and the first thing you decide to make is AIDS.

If you approach an arcade machine and there is a person standing in front of it, you will not be able to play it. Likewise, if you see people bowling and think that bowling is something you might like to do, you probably wont be able to. Unable to play arcade games like Ice Breakers and Carriage Return the first several times we logged on, these games had begun to take on an epic stature in our minds. These were gushing fonts of liquid fun, habit-forming and dangerous - for the good of our virtual society, the supply had to be controlled. When we were finally able to play them, we learned that they were the equivalent of browser games.

There is nothing about the experience of using Home to suggest that you are actually moving through a single, contiguous environment. It is very clearly a handful of walled off zones, where you are confronted by incessant load screens in a desperate search for stimulation. From the moment you enter one of their ultrahygenic "amusement regions," it's clear that all life has been burned away. You get the sense that this is a place in which no interesting thing could ever happen.

There is already a growing school of Home apologetics, fostered by the same Order of Perpetual Masochism that lauded the rumble-free Sixaxis at launch and suggested, hilariously, that Lair and Heavenly Sword were videogames. They're under the impression that because something is free, this places it on some golden dais beyond censure. It's no virtue to give away something that no-one in their right mind would buy. Sony has no idea what this world is for, and that ambiguity infuses every simulated millimeter of it.

This is the terrible secret that roils beneath their false universe: it is nothing more than a cumbersome menu, a rampart over which you must hoist yourself to accomplish the most basic tasks."

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2008/12/12/

Yes it is bad but I do lol on it. I did mention the world wars and the world cup to a couple of German chaps. I then played chess with a Spanish bird. She looked fit online but she had a deeper voice than me. I was then offered drugs whenever I was in the North East......

Yes it is bad but I do lol on it. I did mention the world wars and the world cup to a couple of German chaps. I then played chess with a Spanish bird. She looked fit online but she had a deeper voice than me. I was then offered drugs whenever I was in the North East......

a bit of a result all round then...?

• 3 weeks later...

The air race is the best thing on it (not saying much I know) but doesn't seem to have a point. You can't even look at your best times or anything....

And if you go to the menu, locations, red bull and red bull island you'll find it. There's usually a lot of people there so just face the plane, press X and keep pressing left or right until you get to "red bull air race".

Yes, that will make sense when you try it.....

I pop on it every now and then to see if there is anything new or decent on it. Have seen the Red Bull thing but didn't manage to get a go on it.

I'll just wait and see, I guess. It's still in open beta, right? I don't think I've seen anything saying it's been officially launched.

• 7 months later...

If you scroll through the options on the main screen you should see a symbol with a house and a blue background. If you click that it should install it for you. When that is done you go back to that symbol and your be transported into your virtual living room. From there you can walk about and go to other locations. It is sort of like a massive online game, without really being a game at all. Just sort of like a virtual lobby where you can intereact with certain things.

I hate it with a complete passion and since we talked about the thread have to be honest and say i even forgot it existed.