Nakamichi Receiver

mightysaints

I recently dug out my old HI FI separates, question is as i do not have enough inputs on the amp (just the usual Phono, aux and recording, out ) can you use a switching unit that has more than one input with a selector switch. I want to put the dvd player, mp4 and the Dab into the amp without having to swap cables around.

Also are pre and power amps worth getting, thinking of getting some old kit from ebay.

Yes you can use a switching unit. Just make sure that all the pieces of kit are of the Line-In variety and require no additional pre-amping, e.g. a turntable is NOT a line-in unit, but a Tuner[DAB or Analogue]/Tape Deck/CD-DVD Player/Mp3/4 is.

Oh, and sort them so that if you want to record from one to another, you don't have them on the same input. An obvious point, but one to get right first time, I think. OK..?

Pre and Power amps ARE worth getting. They have to be of sufficient quality to be worth it though, IMO.

Good classic Pre and Power amp setups were Naim pre/power amps. I know as I have a set myself. Alternatives are from Quad, as in the classic 33/303 and 44/405, although they have become collectable, and so prices have gone a bit skyward. As with nearly all pre/power amp combos, you can swap them around. IMO, they don't sound as good as Naim amp combos though.

EDIT: Here's an example. Classic stuff:http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/quad-33-pre-amplifier.html

Edited by St Landrew

Yes you can use a switching unit. Just make sure that all the pieces of kit are of the Line-In variety and require no additional pre-amping, e.g. a turntable is NOT a line-in unit, but a Tuner[DAB or Analogue]/Tape Deck/CD-DVD Player/Mp3/4 is.

Oh, and sort them so that if you want to record from one to another, you don't have them on the same input. An obvious point, but one to get right first time, I think. OK..?

Pre and Power amps ARE worth getting. They have to be of sufficient quality to be worth it though, IMO.

Can you point me to a make or model as i am struggling to find anything.

Try Richer Sounds or other semi-serious online hi-fi shops to get an idea. For example for £800:

http://www.richersounds.com/showbigproductpicture.php?cda=showbigproductpicture&pid=CAMB-AZUR-840E-BLK&fname=small_304818.jpg

and for £1200:

http://www.richersounds.com/showbigproductpicture.php?cda=showbigproductpicture&pid=CAMB-AZUR-840W-BLK&fname=small_304820.jpg

Now I'm not suggesting you pay the huge amount of money that these command, but second hand kit is entirely affordable and a good bargain, because high quality hi-fi, solid state of otherwise, lasts for eons. You should have been here a few months back, when I was considering selling my turntable, amps and speakers.

Good classic Pre and Power amp setups were Naim pre/power amps. I know as I have a set myself. Alternatives are from Quad, as in the classic 33/303 and 44/405, although they have become collectable, and so prices have gone a bit skyward. As with nearly all pre/power amp combos, you can swap them around. IMO, they don't sound as good as Naim amp combos though.

EDIT: Here's an example. Classic stuff:http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/quad-33-pre-amplifier.html

My 14 year old daughter uses my old Quad 405/44 set up, what I did buy 30 years ago. I got them second hand from someone who had been warned for the last time to turn down his music or face eviction. She has them knocking out serious volume through some KEF speakers. She has also nicked my Beatles Cds

I am a valve amp man these days using Quad ESL989 - I love vinyl...

My 14 year old daughter uses my old Quad 405/44 set up, what I did buy 30 years ago. I got them second hand from someone who had been warned for the last time to turn down his music or face eviction. She has them knocking out serious volume through some KEF speakers. She has also nicked my Beatles Cds

I am a valve amp man these days using Quad ESL989 - I love vinyl...

Good to hear it. And I'm slightly envious of the Quad speakers. I have a pair of KEF Reference 104/2 Monitors, but I've always liked Quad Electrostatics too. Of course, when I wanted to buy a pair they were too bloody expensive [ELS63's or even the classic ESL57's], especially as you needed a separate sub-woofer if you wanted the very low range at higher volumes.

Look after that vintage kit.