136 members have voted

1. 1. Who was Saints Second Greatest Right Midfielder

• Alan Ball
    • Ronnie Ekelund
    • Eric Day
    • Jo Tessum
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Danny Wallace

Yes, you're voting for the SECOND BEST RM to go into the B Team, simply because Terry Paine won so many nominations he would have walked off with the A team result at a canter, and some odd person like Stuart Ripley would probably have snuck into the B team, and we can't have that. If we're going to make an error, let's make an OK one.

So get voting. No legends, simply the best player, err... second best player. Oh you get the idea. But then... perhaps you don't.

Ta.

Please remember, those that win the vote cannot be nominated for any other position. Those that lose are eligible to be nominated elsewhere on the pitch, later on.

Edited by St Landrew

I think I will also abstain. This whole thing is farcical. I know MLT had his faults and I know some people say he was lazy and I know some people say that if he were any good he would have won more caps, but.......does loyalty count for nothing? Why is MLT not an option here? Maybe the OP is too young to remember MLT playing so missed him off the list? Who knows. All I know is that despite what some people on here may say, MLT is a hero to me and would probably end up in one of the 4 midfield slots, and definitely be on the bench at least.

This whole "greatest team" thing is flawed if players like MLT are overlooked. If you're not sure who he is or how important he was to us, then I suggest you go to youtube and have a look.

I think I will also abstain. This whole thing is farcical. I know MLT had his faults and I know some people say he was lazy and I know some people say that if he were any good he would have won more caps, but.......does loyalty count for nothing? Why is MLT not an option here? Maybe the OP is too young to remember MLT playing so missed him off the list? Who knows. All I know is that despite what some people on here may say, MLT is a hero to me and would probably end up in one of the 4 midfield slots, and definitely be on the bench at least.

This whole "greatest team" thing is flawed if players like MLT are overlooked. If you're not sure who he is or how important he was to us, then I suggest you go to youtube and have a look.

I am not sure you have got the hang of this have you? You appear to be upset that we are not voting for Matt to be our second best right winger? MLT was not 'second best' anything, he was the best and, correct me if I am wrong, but did he ever play right wing?

MLT will be in the greatest team but in his correct position.

I think I will also abstain. This whole thing is farcical.

It's only farcical because you haven't read St L's instructions properly...

Should MLT be in the A Team? Yes - obviously!

So why are you upset that people are not voting him into the B Team?

This is a farce! Many misconceptions in all the nominations and votes. Danny Wallace was an attacking Left Winger - I would never include him as a midfielder in the accepted sense - more of a forward. Where are the nominations / votes for Steve Williams? Surely RM in our best ever midfield eg Williams, Ball, Armstrong. As for MLT there was only one manager who understood what he was and that was Alan Ball - Centre Mid behind the strikers. And yes he did start as a Right Winger.

This is a farce! Many misconceptions in all the nominations and votes. Danny Wallace was an attacking Left Winger

You are right, he played the vast majority of games for Saints as number 11 though he did also play at 7 a few times as well. The problem with the B team RW slot is that once Paine, Channon and MLT are taken out of the equation (all too good for the B team), there isn't much left.

Who did you nominate?

Alan Ball and Keegan are the best of this bunch but do people really want one of them to go as RM in the B Team?

I can't vote for that very reason. Both AB and KK would be in my A team. Danny Wallace would be in my B Team but on the other wing. I know nothing about Eric Day and although Ronnie Ekelund and Jo Tessem were good players for us, I can't believe they were the second best right-sided players to ever play for us.

I can't vote for that very reason. Both AB and KK would be in my A team. Danny Wallace would be in my B Team but on the other wing. I know nothing about Eric Day and although Ronnie Ekelund and Jo Tessem were good players for us, I can't believe they were the second best right-sided players to ever play for us.

All true - but a tactical vote for Danny W would allow you to vote for both AB and KK in the main team...

PS Eric Day was not great in Div 3 South - no idea how he got nominated!

I nominated Mick Channon as Saints 2nd best ever RW. Is he not included in the poll purely because St L wants him elsewhere?

Did KK or Alan Ball ever play at RM/RW for us? I certainly don't recall ever seeing them there. KK was always up front (where he formed one of our best ever partnerships with Steve Moran) and Bally was always running the show from the centre of midfield. Conversely, I do recall Mick playing on the RW on numerous occasions. Indeed, I am sure I saw play there far more often than as a striker. and yet he cannot be our 2nd best RW, even though he really was?????

Conversely, I do recall Mick playing on the RW on numerous occasions. Indeed, I am sure I saw play there far more often than as a striker. and yet he cannot be our 2nd best RW, even though he really was?????

He was our second best RW but he was also Saints best ever striker (IMO) - by St L's rules, he can only fill one position... I am taking this too seriously!

Love it. Our lot on here can argue about anything!

OK I have RTFM'd and as a result I go for the tactical non-positional vote of stickeing Danny on the right wing.

This poll reminds me a bit of the last time I was able to vote in a general election in the UK donkeys year's ago.

Had a whole list of names and missed the one critical one...

none of the above..

(Oh and for the non-techies RTFM is a standard IT word thingy)

I know it's a little late in the day to be saying this, but I can't help thinking we should have been voting for two 'engine room' midfielders and two attacking midfielders. I'd see Alan Ball fitting into the former category, and Paine and Le Tiss into the latter. Put David Armstrong in the final slot alongside Bally and you've got a pretty damn fine midfield four. Even then it means leaving out the likes of Steve Williams and Nick Holmes.

I am not sure you have got the hang of this have you? You appear to be upset that we are not voting for Matt to be our second best right winger? MLT was not 'second best' anything, he was the best and, correct me if I am wrong, but did he ever play right wing?

MLT will be in the greatest team but in his correct position.

Well if I haven't got the hang of this, it will be because it has not been made clear. So, let me get this right, we are voting for "the greatest team" with second rate players? And if I am correct, the best players, like MLT, are not allowed in this "greatest" team? That makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes: Why didn't I realise that our "greatest" team should be filled with mediocre players? You also contradict yourself by saying MLT was not 'second best' anything.....well in that case, why can't he be in the team?!?!? Besides which, this is untrue because I am certain that MLT was not the best central defender, right back, left back or goalie.

I stand by my original point that if MLT is not allowed in this team, then the whole thing is a farce. I am still abstaining.

ps MLT did play right wing at times.

I think it's basically just that some people have decided not to include MLT. I don't know why they've got such a downer on him. They've even put Jo Tessem in before MLT which is outrageous. If you ever saw the two of them play you'd know that, although Tessem was a hard worker, he wasn't fit to tie MLt's shoelaces.

I'm sure the old "laziness", "didn't play for England enough times" etc rhetoric will be reeled out again, but I actually think MLT was one of our best ever players full stop.

He certainly played many matches on the right for Saints.

Well if I haven't got the hang of this, it will be because it has not been made clear. So, let me get this right, we are voting for "the greatest team" with second rate players? And if I am correct, the best players, like MLT, are not allowed in this "greatest" team? That makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes: Why didn't I realise that our "greatest" team should be filled with mediocre players? You also contradict yourself by saying MLT was not 'second best' anything.....well in that case, why can't he be in the team?!?!? Besides which, this is untrue because I am certain that MLT was not the best central defender, right back, left back or goalie.

I stand by my original point that if MLT is not allowed in this team, then the whole thing is a farce. I am still abstaining.

ps MLT did play right wing at times.

But this vote is for the SECOND BEST team. Terry Paine is in the BEST team, we are voting for SECOND BEST. MLT will surely be in the BEST team in one of the central midflield roles so he is not being left out of anything other than the SECOND BEST team.

But this vote is for the SECOND BEST team. Terry Paine is in the BEST team, we are voting for SECOND BEST. MLT will surely be in the BEST team in one of the central midflield roles so he is not being left out of anything other than the SECOND BEST team.

Well why is the thread called "Saints Greatest XI" then? It is misleading. So MLT could be in this team of not so great greats if he played RW, but he is more likely to make the great great team if he is CM? So why can't he be RW in the not so great great team and then CM in the great great team? The chap below raises much the same point, look....

He was our second best RW but he was also Saints best ever striker (IMO) - by St L's rules, he can only fill one position... I am taking this too seriously!

Now, someone earlier on said that MLT was not second best at anything, so theoretically we could have a full team of MLT's, whether it be in the not so great team or the great great team? Unless of course that it is actually the rule that one player can fill one role only. I can see the logic of that for the great great team, or it really would be farcical, having a team full of David Armstrongs, but the same player should be allowed to hold different postions in the the two greatest teams. For example, I would have Ray Wallace as LB in the great great team and LM in the not so great team (I don't know if he got the vote because I have come into this late).

In other words, this system is fall of holes and is very confusing.I am pleased to hear from St Landrew that MLT is guaranteed a place in the great great team, though would stll like to see him play somewhere in the not so great great team.

COYR!

Well why is the thread called "Saints Greatest XI" then? It is misleading. So MLT could be in this team of not so great greats if he played RW, but he is more likely to make the great great team if he is CM? So why can't he be RW in the not so great great team and then CM in the great great team? The chap below raises much the same point, look....

Now, someone earlier on said that MLT was not second best at anything, so theoretically we could have a full team of MLT's, whether it be in the not so great team or the great great team? Unless of course that it is actually the rule that one player can fill one role only. I can see the logic of that for the great great team, or it really would be farcical, having a team full of David Armstrongs, but the same player should be allowed to hold different postions in the the two greatest teams. For example, I would have Ray Wallace as LB in the great great team and LM in the not so great team (I don't know if he got the vote because I have come into this late).

In other words, this system is fall of holes and is very confusing.I am pleased to hear from St Landrew that MLT is guaranteed a place in the great great team, though would stll like to see him play somewhere in the not so great great team.

COYR!

First, look at the thread title = "Saints Greatest XI - SECOND best Right Midfielder role. Then read St Landrews opening post, then think about it! There is a GREATEST team and a sort of second best team. In a team a player can only play in one postition and can't be in two teams at once. Therefore, if we vote for MLT as the second best Right Midfielder then he won't then be able to be one of the best central midfielders will he? Simple really.

Sorry, too, Matt may have lined up on the right but he was never a right winger. At his best he was in central midfield behind the strikers. He was not, to my mind any way, at his best as a right winger.

Matt could really play anywhere except defence. I personally would have him as LM he could then swop for spells with Paine who was completely two footed to give variation. It has to be Ron Davies and Channon upfront. RD was the best striker in the world for a time. And probably the best attacking header of a ball of all time. I haven't seen anybody in 54 years to equal him in the air.

The easiest way to have done this, would have been for everyone to nominate a midfield 4 and set up a vote on e.g. the 15 most nominated (if the software allows). Then the four with the most votes would have the 'A' Team squad places, 5-8 inclusive, the 'B' Team places. The actual positions could have been worked out after the top 8 had been selected.

Matt could really play anywhere except defence. I personally would have him as LM he could then swop for spells with Paine who was completely two footed to give variation. It has to be Ron Davies and Channon upfront. RD was the best striker in the world for a time. And probably the best attacking header of a ball of all time. I haven't seen anybody in 54 years to equal him in the air.

Was he better than Kerry Dixon?

I said the flak would fly. Can I just thank rpb, derry, Panda and anyone else who's tried their best efforts to educate their fellow Saints brethren. But I've got a slight feeling it isn't possible. My face has returned from its perfectly blue colour. I think I'll just leave the country for 5 days when I set up the threads for the Central Midfield section.

Thanks again you peeps who tried your best. It is appreciated. BTW, 4 more days of voting hell to go before nominations start for the best ever 2 Central-Midfielders. Keep voting. Well, those who want to play, that is.

I said the flak would fly. Can I just thank rpb, derry, Panda and anyone else who's tried their best efforts to educate their fellow Saints brethren. But I've got a slight feeling it isn't possible. My face has returned from its perfectly blue colour. I think I'll just leave the country for 5 days when I set up the threads for the Central Midfield section.

Thanks again you peeps who tried your best. It is appreciated. BTW, 4 more days of voting hell to go before nominations start for the best ever 2 Central-Midfielders. Keep voting. Well, those who want to play, that is.

I understand the rules perfectly St L and have been joining in with this from the GK position. But it appears that you have moved the goalposts somewhat for this position.

Granted, Terry Paine would have certainly walked away with the best RW for the A Team. Just as it was a virtual certainty that Golac would, and did, walk away the RB slot. However, if you had decided that we didn't need to vote for Ivan 'as he would win it at a canter' but instead only asked to vote for who fill that position in the B team I sincerely doubt that Jason Dodd would now be deemed as our 2nd best ever RB! I am pretty sure there would have plenty of others, like myself, who would have gone for Mick Mills. Anyway, that is a moot point as those positins have now been decided upon. However, can you answer these questions please:

1. I thought the idea was to put the most nominated players for that position to the vote, presuming those players had ever actually played there of course?

2. I have had a look for the 'nomination' thread but cannot find it. So, could you please tell me/us how many delusional people (and please name and shame them) nominated Keegan, Ball, Tessem, Danny Wallace, et al for RM/RW as, possibly with the exception of Tessem on a couple of occasions, they did not play in that position.

3. If you think my final point above is incorrect can you please inform us all how often Keegan and Ball in particular played RM/RW?

4. I know for certain that other players received nominations (i.e. MLT and Mick Channon) for this position, were these players omitted for this vote purely so that they are eligable to be voted into the A team? If so, isn't that you saying 'okay peeps lets vote for who we want to be in the A and B teams, except when someone I want in the A team might get put into the B team instead?

Thanks.

Minsk

2. I have had a look for the 'nomination' thread but cannot find it. So, could you please tell me/us how many delusional people (and please name and shame them) nominated Keegan, Ball, Tessem, Danny Wallace, et al for RM/RW as, possibly with the exception of Tessem on a couple of occasions, they did not play in that position.

Minsk

I will name and shame me for nominating Danny Wallace as RW/RM, I did check it out later and, though he did play a handful of games in that position, he was mainly LW or Striker. In my mind I had George Lawrence (RW) substituting for him in a few games and jumped to the wrong conclusion...

Looks like he may make the B Team as RW though!

PS You can't blame me for Keegan, Ball or Tessum (or Eric Day!!!)

I understand the rules perfectly St L and have been joining in with this from the GK position. But it appears that you have moved the goalposts somewhat for this position.

Granted, Terry Paine would have certainly walked away with the best RW for the A Team. Just as it was a virtual certainty that Golac would, and did, walk away the RB slot. However, if you had decided that we didn't need to vote for Ivan 'as he would win it at a canter' but instead only asked to vote for who fill that position in the B team I sincerely doubt that Jason Dodd would now be deemed as our 2nd best ever RB! I am pretty sure there would have plenty of others, like myself, who would have gone for Mick Mills. Anyway, that is a moot point as those positins have now been decided upon. However, can you answer these questions please:

1. I thought the idea was to put the most nominated players for that position to the vote, presuming those players had ever actually played there of course?

3. If you think my final point above is incorrect can you please inform us all how often Keegan and Ball in particular played RM/RW?

4. I know for certain that other players received nominations (i.e. MLT and Mick Channon) for this position, were these players omitted for this vote purely so that they are eligable to be voted into the A team? If so, isn't that you saying 'okay peeps lets vote for who we want to be in the A and B teams, except when someone I want in the A team might get put into the B team instead?

Thanks.

Minsk

Hi Minsk

Thanks for asking the questions. Hopefully I can answer them in such a way that it answers other people's questions too.

As you know, we have a Saints [A] Best Ever Team, and a Backup Team. WE will be having a sub's bench for all those other exceptional players e.g. Nick Holmes [if he doesn't make it into the A or B teams].

But onto your point. It is only with the Right Wing or Right-Midfield position where I saw a situation in which Saints undoubted greatest, i.e. Terry Paine, in that position, was in danger of pushing a player like Matt Le Tissier into 2nd place, if voting for the Best Ever RM took place. Painer's nominations were so much higher than anyone else's that it was a complete waste of a vote for anyone else. He had 20 times more nominations than anyone else..! An astounding result, and no contest at all.

So that left the nominations for the 2nd best ever player in that position. Now I know that one of the second best players in Painer's position is Matt Le Tiss. In fact, if everyone agrees with me on that score, then the best player ever to have donned a Saints shirt only makes the B team, and can't be selected for anywhere else. That can't be..! Now, as the planner and adjudicator of these polls, I thought it wouldn't be too controversial if I eliminated Matty form the 2nd Best RM poll. Let's face it, we don't want him in the 2nd best team, or there to be any danger of him being there. We KNOW he's good enough to be in the A team. There will be a place for him, and I think it'll be in next weeks nominations for a Central midfield pair. Just as we sorted the CBs as the best 2, we'll do the same for the best CMs.

I hope that has answered your question Minsk. Now I'd like someone to answer me one...

How on Earth has nobody, apart from a few who've taken the trouble to read, managed to work this out, when I've written the rules repeatedly, time and time again, and also written repeatedly that MLT will be in the Best Ever [A] Team somewhere..?

I've put that last bit in blue in the hope that someone will read it, and go back to the places in the threads where I've also explained that the Saints Best Ever threads are currently in the Golden Posts section, where they are being stored for information purposes, and so that people can see them at any time, and not have to hunt on sub-pages of the Main forum.

BTW, I see Danny Wallace is doing very well in this poll. That seems like several voters are acting sensibly. A very good 2nd best RM.

Ta.

Edited by St Landrew

Hi Minsk

Thanks for asking the questions. Hopefully I can answer them in such a way that it answers other people's questions too.

As you know, we have a Saints [A] Best Ever Team, and a Backup Team. WE will be having a sub's bench for all those other exceptional players e.g. Nick Holmes [if he doesn't make it into the A or B teams].

But onto your point. It is only with the Right Wing or Right-Midfield position where I saw a situation in which Saints undoubted greatest, i.e. Terry Paine, in that position, was in danger of pushing a player like Matt Le Tissier into 2nd place, if voting for the Best Ever RM took place. Painer's nominations were so much higher than anyone else's that it was a complete waste of a vote for anyone else. He had 20 times more nominations than anyone else..! An astounding result, and no contest at all.

So that left the nominations for the 2nd best ever player in that position. Now I know that one of the second best players in Painer's position is Matt Le Tiss. In fact, if everyone agrees with me on that score, then the best player ever to have donned a Saints shirt only makes the B team, and can't be selected for anywhere else. That can't be..! Now, as the planner and adjudicator of these polls, I thought it wouldn't be too controversial if I eliminated Matty form the 2nd Best RM poll. Let's face it, we don't want him in the 2nd best team, or there to be any danger of him being there. We KNOW he's good enough to be in the A team. There will be a place for him, and I think it'll be in next weeks nominations for a Central midfield pair. Just as we sorted the CBs as the best 2, we'll do the same for the best CMs.

I hope that has answered your question Minsk. Now I'd like someone to answer me one...

How on Earth has nobody, apart from a few who've taken the trouble to read, managed to work this out, when I've written the rules repeatedly, time and time again, and also written repeatedly that MLT will be in the Best Ever [A] Team somewhere..?

I've put that last bit in blue in the hope that someone will read it, and go back to the places in the threads where I've also explained that the Saints Best Ever threads are currently in the Golden Posts section, where they are being stored for information purposes, and so that people can see them at any time, and not have to hunt on sub-pages of the Main forum.

BTW, I see Danny Wallace is doing very well in this poll. That seems like several voters are acting sensibly. A very good 2nd best RM.

Ta.

St L,

Thanks for answering part of one of my questions (re MLT) but what about the rest? Why no Mick Channon? (who I believe is our 2nd best RW, I would have MLT as AM); How on earth can Keegan (out and out fwd for his entirety at Saints) and Ball (CM engine throughout his entirety at Saints) be on the list for RM/RW? What happened to the nomination thread?

Ta,

Minsk

St L,

Thanks for answering part of one of my questions (re MLT) but what about the rest? Why no Mick Channon? (who I believe is our 2nd best RW, I would have MLT as AM); How on earth can Keegan (out and out fwd for his entirety at Saints) and Ball (CM engine throughout his entirety at Saints) be on the list for RM/RW? What happened to the nomination thread?

Ta,

Minsk

Channon wasn't nominated for 2nd Best RM either. It seems people want him in the A team as well. Bally and Keegan were nominated. If you take issue, just don't vote for them, and if they don't win the vote, they can be nominated for another position, and in any [A or B] team. As can any player who's position hasn't been settled. Look at the voting threads in Golden Posts to find the lineups, so far.

BTW, we have a 4-4-2 formation. That has been settled on because practically every player under consideration will have played in a 4-4-2 line-up. Please do read my comments in the threads in future [they are there to help you] and I think you'll find the answers you need.

Channon wasn't nominated for 2nd Best RM either. It seems people want him in the A team as well. Bally and Keegan were nominated. If you take issue, just don't vote for them, and if they don't win the vote, they can be nominated for another position, and in any [A or B] team. As can any player who's position hasn't been settled. Look at the voting threads in Golden Posts to find the lineups, so far.

BTW, we have a 4-4-2 formation. That has been settled on because practically every player under consideration will have played in a 4-4-2 line-up. Please do read my comments in the threads in future [they are there to help you] and I think you'll find the answers you need.

Ahhh, I've got it now. Instead of putting those already nominated for RM/RW (which most of us knew would be for the best and second best teams) on the thread which had run for 36 hours, throughout all of Sat and half of Sun, you decided to ask for nominations for the B team only, for 7 hours of a Sunday afternoon/evening, FFS!!

This would explain why Mick Channon, nominated by myself and Weston as the second best RW in the original thread, is not included.

It appears as if this is not a very democratic vote, but more that you are making up the rules to suit the players you want to be in the A Team. For example, as well Micky, MLT was nominated as the second best RM/RW but, if you would care to go back and check as I have just done (thanks for telling me it was all in the golden posts), Keegan was not. Yet here we are with no MLT on the top list but somehow Keegan is there.

Oh, and yes I do now realise it was you who nominated Bally for RM (even though I saw most of his games for Saints and never once playing in that position) as you think (probably correctly) that he will not get into the A team. And I also agree in that I think MLT should be in the A Team, but that does not mean I agree with you 'bending the rules' of this to suit your own ends.

Incidentally, had you gone with the original nominations (minus TP who was a shoe-in for the A team) it would have been interesting to see which one of MLT and Channon would have been in the B team and which would still be eligible for elsewhere in the A team.

I think by pidgeon holing positions you are more in danger of someone like MLT not being in the team. Is he the best RMF player? By your rules, no! Terry Paine is. Is he in the best CMF positions? Not IMO Allan Ball and Jimmy Case would take those. Would he be the best at LMF? No, John Sydenham or David Armstrong would IMO. Would he be in the two main striker roles? Not IMO, Ron Davies, Mick Channon and Kevin Keegan would be fighting for those. Is he the best player to ever play for Saints? Too Right!! But he didn't actually have a certain position. Neither a Striker, nor a Midfielder. Early days, in Nicholl's team he started on the right wing but for most of his career he had a free role (like Gerrard currently plays for Liverpool), which is one of the reasons Branfoot could never find a place in his team for MLT.

If you had said nominate your 4 best midfield players then MLT would have been top of the pile and definately been in the A team.

ask for nominations for the B team only, for 7 hours of a Sunday afternoon/evening

I didnt realise the nominations were up on Sunday afternoon either. I was wandering why the nominations from saturday were not used, which explains why quite a few players that played there best football was at RW and are not in this list and others are.

Completly understand about MLT though but like someone else has said he is in danger of not getting into the A team at all because there have been several specialist position players which might get in ahead of him in this format. Cant do anything about that though so he will be where he is put.