We were far worse this time last year.

s0108787

Last year we had been hammered in our opening games, dumped out of the carling cup and were probably in a worse financial situation than we are now having got rid of some of the higher earners.

Why is everyone predicting the end is nigh when the season is barely underway?

Reasons for optimism

1: We are playing better football than we did this time last year.

2: We have not had the comprehensive thrashings that we did this time last year.

3. We have not been embarrassed by lower league oposition and dumped out of the cup (like we were this time last year).

4: We have skillful and talented (albeit young) players who want to play for the shirt 9 times out of 10 would have run rings around the hoof and hope team we had last year.

5: As a club we have vastly reduced our outgoings, seemingly more cuts are on the way, but at lest we are now less likely to go into administration (with all of the penalties that would bring).

6: We have a manager who gives a **** and talks good sense.

The most important thing is that we don't go into administration, get points dedcuted and then have minus 30 points in League one next year.

To all you doom sayers:

Support the team, they will deliver this year with the help of a united, supportive fanbase. Our finances wuold also be greatly improved by fans turning up at SMS.

How about suporting your team guys? Not trying to undermine it.

...just a thought

Edited by s0108787

How can the team deliver when even those being chosen are being sold, causing untold disruption to what the manager is trying to achieve (with one hand already tied behind his back) ????

Aside from outside investment, what other choice do we have? Costs have to be cut enormously, that's the reality of the situation. Success this season means staying in business and avoiding relegation; its a sh!te situation to be in, but its the reality of 2 years of overspending.

How can the team deliver when even those being chosen are being sold, causing untold disruption to what the manager is trying to achieve (with one hand already tied behind his back) ????

I don't think the team has been disrupted too much. We are playing a more settled side than we have done in ages, playing better football than we have done in ages.

I would like to see Andrew Davies stay, but it appears he doesn't want to. His departure will not disrupt the team too much becasue he's been on the sidelines since last season.

As for Skacel, Euell, Rasiak & Saganowski; they all flattered to deceieve last year and offer no more than their current replacements based on previous form.

I don't think surman will be sold, if he is we have Joseph mills would be a very able replacement.

I don't think the team has been disrupted too much. We are playing a more settled side than we have done in ages, playing better football than we have done in ages.

I would like to see Andrew Davies stay, but it appears he doesn't want to. His departure will not disrupt the team too much becasue he's been on the sidelines since last season.

As for Skacel, Euell, Rasiak & Saganowski; they all flattered to deceieve last year and offer no more than their current replacements based on previous form.

I don't think surman will be sold, if he is we have Joseph mills would be a very able replacement.

Why do you think the selling would stop with Surman ?

Schneiderlin might be gone in January, maybe McGoldrick too.

Because they've got what, maybe three half games [friendlies at that], and two full games under their belts....

Yes that s the whole point of an academy if people leave there other players to take their place I think you are now understanding the strategy

No need to recruit second rate overpaid players who may not fit into our style of play.

So we reduce costs and bring in Transfer Fees to pay for you and lots of others boycotting the team

Rumour has it Schneiderlin has a £5m release clause in his contract. if he does we could probably sign a decent replacement and still have a decent return on his original transfer fee. Lloyd james plays DM anyway, Jaimie Hatch could then take his place at RB. NO WORRIES.

If McGoldrick goes we have Paterson and White waiting in the wings - lets not also forget we still have Stern John at the moment as well as Rasiak and Saga back off loan if we're really desperate.

The point is, we will do what we have to do to survive.

I personally believe that we will have a good season and it frustrates me that fans are prepared to write off talented, hard working players before they have been goven a chance to show what they can do.

How would you feel if someone who had never seen your work told you that you were ****?

Pretty hacked off i bet!

I know i would.

Besides, we have played two of the toughest games we will face this season AND given a decent account of ourselves.

Edited by s0108787

Yes that s the whole point of an academy if people leave there other players to take their place I think you are now understanding the strategy

No need to recruit second rate overpaid players who may not fit into our style of play.

So we reduce costs and bring in Transfer Fees to pay for you and lots of others boycotting the team

LOL. Blaming me and others for the clubs mis-management. Hillarious !

Maybe you should have a little chat with your mate Roops as to whether he thinks treating fans as "customers" is such a good idea now !!

Reasons for optimism

Some good points there.

The kids look pretty good from what I've seen, I'll make it over for Saints v Barnsley to form a fuller opinion.

Jan P seems to have had a pretty good effect in a very short space of time.

We'd all feel a bit more comfortable with some points, hope they come sooner rather than later to settle everyone down.

I'd be a lot happier if we kept A Davies, actually I'd be a lot happier if someone came out and said the selling had stopped and it's time to get on with the season, but I guess we'll have to wait for that.

My Norwich supporting mate doesn't seem any happier than me so far this season.

Maybe you should have a little chat with your mate Roops as to whether he thinks treating fans as "customers" is such a good idea now !!

My friend Rupes what a stupid and biggoted response if more people turned up to watch obviously we would get more revenue

You obviously do not possess much sense if you do not understand the strategy

I think the point is that in a prefrect scenario the fans would not boycott SMS and we would gradually build a solid financial foundation from which to push on. Unfortunately we do not have perfect fans.

Frankly i don't think that we as a fanbase deserved to see someone as talented as MLT playing for us. Based on our current attendances and some of the fans on this forum.

A team like Leeds shows what a proper fanbase is like. I bet most Leeds fans hate the idea of Ken Bates profiting from the club, but they still support their team "customers" or not.

I think the point is that in a prefrect scenario the fans would not boycott SMS and we would gradually build a solid financial foundation from which to push on. Unfortunately we do not have perfect fans.

Frankly i don't think that we as a fanbase deserved to see someone as talented as MLT playing for us. Based on our current attendances and some of the fans on this forum.

A team like Leeds shows what a proper fanbase is like. I bet most Leeds fans hate the idea of Ken Bates profiting from the club, but they still support their team "customers" or not.

Aye good post.

Clubs like Leeds, Weds and Forest are well suported regardless of what seems to be going on at Board level and where the team are.

All Saints fans' seem to do is moan all the time. :(

Saints had a meeting with Barclays special group a few months back.

Now do you believe RL was the bullfighter or the bull?

This guy eats bank managers for breakfast!

If they had not given milked acounts at the time then we would be under by now.

Trouble is what RL promised to pay by now is not forthcoming so the firesale starts again.

Nobody is going to buy us as long as we are a plc.

If the share price was below 15pence then RL would be fishing in Yelloknife not trying to balance the books.

We are finished,its not if its when,he can only sell so much and bull**** Barclays for so long.

My friend Rupes what a stupid and biggoted response if more people turned up to watch obviously we would get more revenue

You obviously do not possess much sense if you do not understand the strategy

I have no sense ?

At least I recognise the irony of Lowe being hoisted on his own petard........

I believe we will be in a better position than last year ON the field, OFF the field is where the problem lies which, imo, is largely out of our control and what happens will happen, those who are on a boycott are not only missing our team play some very good football but failing to offer the financial support they have in previous years at a time when it is needed the most, I firmly believe we will learn from the mistakes that narrowly lost us points against last years FA Cup finalists and a team tipped for automatic promotion.

Go and support one of them then...

Did you not read the post?

They don't need more fans, they have plenty that turn up and support the team. :rolleyes:

It's us that need more fans.

Now you're trying to get rid of saints fans! - are you sure you're not from Portsmouth? ;)

Go and support one of them then...

Aye? Not sure what your getting at there old fellow.

I just dont see the point of being ultra negative. I saw the dross that was played last season and the first home game at St marys this season was a lot better than the 1-4 pasting we got last season from Palace.

Yes a loss is a loss but there is scope for improvement.

Last year you could see after a few games that we were in trouble if we didn't improve quickly. This year there seems to be more unity about the club. More confident of survival this year.

Last year you could see after ONE home game that Alpine was right. We lacked the basics at the back. We were torn apart by one of the worst teams in the league whose manager was SACKED about a month after beating us 4-1...

This year we played really well in our only home game and were undone by some sloppiness, a poor miss from our 'best striker' a great save from Maik Taylor.

The two seasons are incomporable. A shame so few people have seen it.

So well settled that the pattern of our behaviour is predictable and will enable every team to pick us off in the second half.

And I'd forgotten how our wonderful array of tactics last season completely bamboozled the opposition. To the uneducated eye it seemed that we just varied the personel who couldn't perform in the roles they were given. Bristol Rovers in particular were completeley confused by our impression of a team who'd never played football before.

Last year we won our third game (ironically against Stoke) so we had 3 points from 3 games - stats I would accept right now. Oh yes, last season we beat Brum as well.

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but weren't they in the premier league last season?

You can guarantee they will get more experience, but not that they will necessarily improve, if that's how things worked, why haven't we kept last season's team, who would be vastly improved?[/QUOTE]

Given that they were old and past it journeymen i think not

We were far worse this time last year?

Oh, that's OK than. Second from bottom, no points, but we are far better than last year. Thank God, I was worried there for a second.

better in terms of dealing with our financial situation as well as on the pitch in terms of performance.

People seem to be forgetting that last season our record against the teams in the top 6 at home was impressive considering our final position...

Beat West Brom,, Stoke, Bristol City, thrashed Hull only lost to watford and crystal palace...one of which was first game of the season the other new years day in which the our players were clearly hung over....

Teams like birmingham represent our best chance of getting 3 points at home this season becuase they come out and attack leaving them open at the back...as soon as they went 2-1 up and shut up shop we had nothing...we looked terrible like a bunch of 5 year old school children playing against professionals (not far from the truth)...so therefore although the performance wasnt terrible the result was and we all know what really counts...

Teams like Blackpool will come shut up shop go for the 0-0 but happily take a bustling 1-0 on the brake or set-piece...aided by a half shut/empty stadium and general lack confidence...we seem to have one formation and one idea and if it doesnt work well thats it...

However i feel there will be a possibilty of picking more points up away from home on the counter - provided we have some defenders still playing for us...

not very interesting but thats how I see it so far - 2pence worth and all that

And I'd forgotten how our wonderful array of tactics last season completely bamboozled the opposition. To the uneducated eye it seemed that we just varied the personel who couldn't perform in the roles they were given. Bristol Rovers in particular were completeley confused by our impression of a team who'd never played football before.

For me thats funniest post of the month...

If you cant laugh you would cry.

Last year we had been hammered in our opening games, dumped out of the carling cup and were probably in a worse financial situation than we are now having got rid of some of the higher earners.

Why is everyone predicting the end is night when the season is barely underway?

Reasons for optimism

2: We have not had the comprehensive thrashings that we did this time last year.

3. We have not been embarrassed by lower league oposition and dumped out of the cup (like we were this time last year).

4: We have skillful and talented (albeit young) players who want to play for the shirt 9 times out of 10 would have run rings around the hoof and hope team we had last year.

5: As a club we have vastly reduced our outgoings, seemingly more cuts are on the way, but at lest we are now less likely to go into administration (with all of the penalties that would bring).

The most important thing is that we don't go into administration, get points dedcuted and then have minus 30 points in League one next year.

To all you doom sayers:

Support the team, they will deliver this year with the help of a united, supportive fanbase. Our finances wuold also be greatly improved by fans turning up at SMS.

...just a thought

this time last year at least we had better players selling davies just is going to make it worse we're going down :(:(

THis time last year we had lost our first 2 league games with a - 4 goal difference and been knocked out of the Carling cup.

This year we're still in the cup and our goal difference is -2. I think that qualifies as being better.

This time last year = 0 points.

This time this year = 0 points.

You could argue we are no better and no worse than last year...

i can safely say i wasn't encouraged by anything i saw this time last year. get the point?

No.

Your opinion on how the team is performing holds as much sway as anyone else's.

The points scored is the ultimate measure - I know we can generally reserve judgement until after 10 games or so - but I remain pessimistic that we will not have amassed a significant total even after 10 games....

Why is everyone predicting the end is night when the season is barely underway?

Reasons for optimism

To all you doom sayers:

...just a thought

What he said