Global Warming.....

Weston Super Saint

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
It was 15 degrees [celcius] today, peeing with rain and I had to wear a coat.

Unless someone's been messing with my calendar today is the 18th of August.

When does this whole global warming malarky start to work?

Didn't you follow what John Nada was saying?

Apparently the CIA have managed to switch the Earth's magnetic poles around and it is now officially winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

They plan to switch them back in November.

Didn't you follow what John Nada was saying?

Apparently the CIA have managed to switch the Earth's magnetic poles around and it is now officially winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

They plan to switch them back in November.

Wow we gets to have two winters....Bit greedy relay:rolleyes::)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Wow we gets to have two winters....Bit greedy relay:rolleyes::)

Not just two, they're gonna change them again next April. It's a plan to keep the Russians in deep freeze so they can't launch any more spy satellites to eavesdrop on Area 51. Or something.

Why do you think they've stopped using the term global warming and replaced it with climate change?

Because Climate Change is a more accurate nomemclature than Global Warming, which is being mistakenly believed to be something to do with having hotter local temperatures. However, Climate Change is inaccurate as well. Human Influenced Climate Change would be a bit better, but that's a bit of a mouthful. Climate change occurs whether mankind is on the planet or not, so we need a better name for the process we are experiencing.

Unfortunately, you can have Global Warming, and yet have locally cooler or unseasonal temperatures. Sorry.

Believe me, I'm as p!ssed off about it as the next person.

Because Climate Change is a more accurate nomemclature than Global Warming, which is being mistakenly believed to be something to do with having hotter local temperatures. However, Climate Change is inaccurate as well. Human Influenced Climate Change would be a bit better, but that's a bit of a mouthful. Climate change occurs whether mankind is on the planet or not, so we need a better name for the process we are experiencing.

Unfortunately, you can have Global Warming, and yet have locally cooler or unseasonal temperatures. Sorry.

Believe me, I'm as p!ssed off about it as the next person.

I like your first line! Does that also mean that 'Recession' is a more apt nomenclature than 'Credit Crunch' ?

Rain forecast for Monday, Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Friday.

No forecast available for Saturday yet - from the BBC - but as that's the start of the bank holiday weekend, I'm not holding my breath for barbeque weather!!

The rest of the summer will be a wash out as the weather patterns that should be around at this stage of the summer are simply not in place. There will be the odd day of good weather, here and there, but if anyone is looking for a good spell of hot weather, with no interruptions of rain, that they can plan something with - forget it.

Honestly, if there was any potential really good weather around the corner, I'd be optimistic. I'm more optimistic with Saints and their promotion prospects. Sorry, once again.

I like your first line! Does that also mean that 'Recession' is a more apt nomenclature than 'Credit Crunch' ?

Don't know, is it..? I thought 3 months of economic reduction was recession behaviour. I understand Germany and France might be in recession, but the UK and Spanish economies are still just about growing. Credit Crunch is a buzz phrase, but it describes the hardening up of financial institutions attitudes towards giving credit and loans.

Don't know, is it..? I thought 3 months of economic reduction was recession behaviour. I understand Germany and France might be in recession, but the UK and Spanish economies are still just about growing. Credit Crunch is a buzz phrase, but it describes the hardening up of financial institutions attitudes towards giving credit and loans.

Officially it is two full quarters of economic decline.

As gloomy as the bloody weather!!

Edited by St Landrew
Edited when I should have quoted. Sorry.

I was quite enthusiastic about global warming.

I think I need to stop being so Anglo-centric.

I am becoming more and more enthused about emigrating somewhere with a proper summer.

Me too. My living-on-a-sailing-boat-off-the-Greek-Islands idea gets better and better.

Officially it is two full quarters of economic decline.

As gloomy as the bloody weather!!

Ah, I stand corrected. Tbh, I think the weather is a lot gloomier. I don't think next year is going to be any better based on some recent serious cross reading and what I already know about weather and climactic systems. Hope I'm wrong. Don't think so though.

I think that recession is the operative word. One large Auto manufacturer, with a host of plants in Europe, recently declared a total embargo on overtime working. I have not had an increase in salary for 18 months now.

Food seems to be rising in cost on an almost daily basis.

What would happen if all the supermarket chains dropped their offers and sold their food at the price on the packet (you know what I mean here)? That would bring it home pretty quickly as to how much in the mire we are!

It was 15 degrees [celcius] today, peeing with rain and I had to wear a coat.

Unless someone's been messing with my calendar today is the 18th of August.

When does this whole global warming malarky start to work?

My well meaning but very mis-guided father said the same thing too me last night.

With global warming you can EXPECT MORE ****ty weather like this, not vice-versa. HTH.

i put mine on for 10 mins last night, just to take the chill off.......:(

what a fabulous Summer this is...........NOT :mad:

My football match tonight was called off due to a waterlogged pitch and the temperature hasn't been above 15 or something in ages. I can honestly say my first Swedish summer is not the best.

Bet you're looking forward to winter then!

At least then I can ski. Its not that I really mind the weather, its just that I like to have four different seasons and not a spring and a very long fall without a proper summer. Besides that, there's a million lakes to swim in here and since uni isn't starting yet I was hoping to get to the beach a few times.

Well, if on average the globe was warming then I suppose you could still call it global warming.

There is such a thing as the Earth Energy [or Heat] Budget. If more sunlight is not reflected or radiated back into space, then that budget increases. Increased pollutents, as in particulates and chemicals, dust and clouds contain the heat by impeding absorbed radiated heat from mainly land masses. Ice, oceans and seas reflect that sunlight back into space. Ice is the major reflector, having a high Albedo score:

http://www.carbon-info.org/carboninfo_029.htm

But due to several climactic, Earth driven, human influenced, factors, polar and land based ice is melting at increasing rates. This means sea level rises and lower altitudes for the remaining ice. Therefore it melts even quicker. Therefore there is less ice to reflect the sunlight back. Therefore..., well you get the idea. This is working as an isolated positive feedback system, and positive feedback systems don't keep themselves in check. Thankfully, this system isn't isolated; it relates and interacts with other Earth systems, that help to power it and keep it in check as well.

Which brings me to our lousy weather. Usually, the weather patterns we are currently experiencing are much further to the north. But we are getting the weather of north of the Shetland Isles. Why is this..? Well, try as I might, I can find no information that nails this down. Last year's lousy summer was blamed on the Jetstream being situated at a much lower latitude than it should be, and this would hold good for this year too as the weather patterns are near identical. But why is the Jetstream so low..? Well this is what I'm trying to track real evidence for and I can't find it. There is a bit of evidence for La Nina [not El Nino], but I don't buy it at present for various reasons. So at the moment I'm falling back on my old knowledge, but it is very fragmented, and the theories are getting on a bit, and I can't piece the interactions of the systems together, let alone explain them.

Polar ice is flowing into the polar seas and IMO could be majorly influencing the weather patterns, and indirectly, possibly causing both the Jetstreams that circle the planet to move from their accustomed latitudes. At the moment I can't quite see the connection. But it could be why the weather is so lousy. My weak subject was always global meteorology. Perhaps someone else can look it up. Here's an easy guide that might give an understanding:

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/home.rxml

Anyway, what it all means is... that if it is locally colder than normal here, then it's locally hotter than normal elsewhere. The Heat Budget has to be settled somehow.

There is such a thing as the Earth Energy [or Heat] Budget. If more sunlight is not reflected or radiated back into space, then that budget increases. Increased pollutents, as in particulates and chemicals, dust and clouds contain the heat by impeding absorbed radiated heat from mainly land masses. Ice, oceans and seas reflect that sunlight back into space. Ice is the major reflector, having a high Albedo score:

http://www.carbon-info.org/carboninfo_029.htm

But due to several climactic, Earth driven, human influenced, factors, polar and land based ice is melting at increasing rates. This means sea level rises and lower altitudes for the remaining ice. Therefore it melts even quicker. Therefore there is less ice to reflect the sunlight back. Therefore..., well you get the idea. This is working as an isolated positive feedback system, and positive feedback systems don't keep themselves in check. Thankfully, this system isn't isolated; it relates and interacts with other Earth systems, that help to power it and keep it in check as well.

Which brings me to our lousy weather. Usually, the weather patterns we are currently experiencing are much further to the north. But we are getting the weather of north of the Shetland Isles. Why is this..? Well, try as I might, I can find no information that nails this down. Last year's lousy summer was blamed on the Jetstream being situated at a much lower latitude than it should be, and this would hold good for this year too as the weather patterns are near identical. But why is the Jetstream so low..? Well this is what I'm trying to track real evidence for and I can't find it. There is a bit of evidence for La Nina [not El Nino], but I don't buy it at present for various reasons. So at the moment I'm falling back on my old knowledge, but it is very fragmented, and the theories are getting on a bit, and I can't piece the interactions of the systems together, let alone explain them.

Polar ice is flowing into the polar seas and IMO could be majorly influencing the weather patterns, and indirectly, possibly causing both the Jetstreams that circle the planet to move from their accustomed latitudes. At the moment I can't quite see the connection. But it could be why the weather is so lousy. My weak subject was always global meteorology. Perhaps someone else can look it up. Here's an easy guide that might give an understanding:

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/home.rxml

Anyway, what it all means is... that if it is locally colder than normal here, then it's locally hotter than normal elsewhere. The Heat Budget has to be settled somehow.

Where?

And, do you think they'll do a house swap?

Global warming doesn't just mean warming. I prefer the term 'climate change'. That way you can factor in alot of other effects like global dimming, warming, rainfall changes and so on. And actually although it might not seem like it, it is getting hotter, 2007 was the warmest year worldwide ever. Whether this can be attributed to natural processes or us is another issue though. Another factor you need to consider at the present time is the la nina current. When this is prominent as it is now you would usually get a drop in temperatures, but because of current climatic conditions, scientists expect the temperature to stay where it is while this current is strong before temperatures resume rising later on.

I would say most of the stuff you hear about global warming is 50% fact, 50% overexaggeration. We're not all going to die but we are going to seriously screw ourselves if we aren't careful.

End of random and boring lecture. :S

Well, yer :p What I meant was people always concentrate on the warming effects of climate change when it isn't the only thing going on.

Yep. I was only being pedantic anyway. I knew what you meant. It's a general misconception that Global Warming means everywhere should be a bit warmer seasonally. One effect of a warming World is that local weather patterns can become more active and extreme. Hence it can be colder and wetter than usual somewhere, whilst elsewhere it is hotter and drier than usual.

Global warming doesn't just mean warming. I prefer the term 'climate change'. That way you can factor in alot of other effects like global dimming, warming, rainfall changes and so on. And actually although it might not seem like it, it is getting hotter, 2007 was the warmest year worldwide ever. Whether this can be attributed to natural processes or us is another issue though. Another factor you need to consider at the present time is the la nina current. When this is prominent as it is now you would usually get a drop in temperatures, but because of current climatic conditions, scientists expect the temperature to stay where it is while this current is strong before temperatures resume rising later on.

I would say most of the stuff you hear about global warming is 50% fact, 50% overexaggeration. We're not all going to die but we are going to seriously screw ourselves if we aren't careful.

End of random and boring lecture. :S

Are you sure?

Warmest year EVER seems like one of those random made up FACTs!!!

What about the last time the polar ice caps were completely melted, I'm gonna put a fiver on that being warmer than 2007 ;)

Are you sure?

What about the last time the polar ice caps were completely melted, I'm gonna put a fiver on that being warmer than 2007 ;)

I'd say it was probably the warmest ever measured, so in the last 100 years or so.

Are you sure?

ok, on record... warmest on record!

Did you that when the dinosaurs were around, the average temperature on earth was 7 degrees hotter than todays standard.

ok, on record... warmest on record!

Did you that when the dinosaurs were around, the average temperature on earth was 7 degrees hotter than todays standard.

And what wiped them out???

It is suggested that a large meteor hit the Earth, and the resulting dust cloud sealed out the sunlight for many years, triggering an ice age - we are currently still in it, although it is warming up - eventually we will warm up enough that the Earth resumes it's natural state - that is a state where there is no ice on the polar caps ;)

It is suggested that a large meteor hit the Earth, and the resulting dust cloud sealed out the sunlight for many years, triggering an ice age - we are currently still in it, although it is warming up - eventually we will warm up enough that the Earth resumes it's natural state - that is a state where there is no ice on the polar caps ;)

No, it's because they used to leave their TV's on standby at night.

No, there have been several ice ages since then. The last one finished around 10,000 years ago.

EDIT: The natural state of the Earth is surely whatever it actually is at the present time. Depending on whether you factor in our influence as natural or not.

Edited by St Landrew

Global Warming doesn't stack up, so all the tree huggers decided to call it Climate Change instead, to scare us all into thinking that floods, colder summers, rain, etc, was all down to us not turning our standby's off at night.

So now every weather event that is above the most benign of weather patterns is due to climate change and every time you press that deodorant can you contribute to the apocalypse that will envelope the earth in about 100 years time.

So turn off your computer now, before a lightning bolt strikes that tree outside your house and the thing falls into your house killing your granny.

Global Warming doesn't stack up, so all the tree huggers decided to call it Climate Change instead, to scare us all into thinking that floods, colder summers, rain, etc, was all down to us not turning our standby's off at night.

So now every weather event that is above the most benign of weather patterns is due to climate change and every time you press that deodorant can you contribute to the apocalypse that will envelope the earth in about 100 years time.

So turn off your computer now, before a lightning bolt strikes that tree outside your house and the thing falls into your house killing your granny.

Err... yes it does.

No, there have been several ice ages since then. The last one finished around 10,000 years ago.

EDIT: The natural state of the Earth is surely whatever it actually is at the present time. Depending on whether you factor in our influence as natural or not.

Nope...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

ice age is often used to mean a period of ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres; by this definition we are still in an ice age (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist).

This is where you have to decide,

Global warming, is it?

A. Earths natural cycle

B. Caused by humans

C. Farting animals :)

But whatever the answer to that is, one thing is sure, we aren't going to benefit from any substantial temperature rise so it's something we have to pay attention to.

Another interesting factor that could help us is that if it does get hot enough the gulf stream could weaken and stop meaning it gets colder here cancelling out the warming.

This is where you have to decide,

Global warming, is it?

A. Earths natural cycle

B. Caused by humans

C. Farting animals :)

But whatever the answer to that is, one thing is sure, we aren't going to benefit from any substantial temperature rise so it's something we have to pay attention to.

Another interesting factor that could help us is that if it does get hot enough the gulf stream could weaken and stop meaning it gets colder here cancelling out the warming.

A.....

A.....

My answer would be a mixture of the two, earths natural cycle being spread up and exaggerated by our actions.

There was an interesting report I saw somewhere about cows in california. Because of the amount of them there, and the amount of methene farts they produce, it was deduced by this report that these farts were producing more global warming than cars in that region(remember that methene is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than C02). I think though that what we are doing could be possibly sending the earth over it's natural limit for the greenhouse effect.

You have to remember that the greenhouse effect is a natural event, infact without it, the earths average temperature would be -18 and we wouldn't even be here now.

Sorry, WSS. I didn't get that info from Wikipedia. I got it from my degree text books. An ice age is determined by certain temperatures, conditions, amount of ice as a percentage over the Earth's surface, and the advance and retreat of ice. We are not in an ice age.

To be fair, the various articles seem to suggest a 50 fifty split between the definitions.....

My answer would be a mixture of the two, earths natural cycle being spread up and exaggerated by our actions.

There was an interesting report I saw somewhere about cows in california. Because of the amount of them there, and the amount of methene farts they produce, it was deduced by this report that these farts were producing more global warming than cars in that region(remember that methene is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than C02). I think though that what we are doing could be possibly sending the earth over it's natural limit for the greenhouse effect.

You have to remember that the greenhouse effect is a natural event, infact without it, the earths average temperature would be -18 and we wouldn't even be here now.

So just like the fridges were destroying the ozone layer and we were all going to die....

Ooooppppssss the ozone layer seems to be repairing itself...