The f*cking Golf

saint_stevo

Evening,

Seems maybe the clutch is going on the damn Golf. Self diagnosis but when i rev, nothing happens except the engine note increases and then a short while after it kicks in. Clutch?

How long before it goes all together? On average? Only started today

Any ideas on prices for a 99 Golf Gti 1.8 Mk4?

Hate this car. Hate it.

s_s

Sounds everso clutch-like to me. The acid test is to get to about 25/30mph, put it in 5th and floor it. If it's the clutch the revs will go through the roof but you won't move any faster. If the clutch is fine the engine will labour a little but the car will slowly pick up speed. What you describe sounds very suspicious.

Nationwide Autocentre (usually not bad and there's one in Eastleigh) are quoting £500 for the job though... Eek.

Also, it's impossible to say how long it will last. It might be contaminated with oil/grease and won't get any worse for ages or it might be completely f*****d.

Shall try tomorrow......

£500? Surely some sick joke

N.B- Anyone seeing a Blue 3 dr T reg golf broken down in the Southampton area, please pull over and give me a lift somewhere!

Maybe renew my breakdown cover tomorrow?

I thought that was steep, so definitely phone around. It's only £600 for an MR2 and that's an "engine out" job.

Yeah I can, at least I always have been able to. Christ knows if Renault have pulled the offer with this recession but I haven't heard different. The Scenic was just an example of how prices have crashed in general mate, not a recommendation. :D

With the engine off, make sure nothing is in front of you, put it in gear and turn the engine over. If the car moves forward, then its likely to be just the clutch release bearing on the way out. If it doesn't move (or moves after a couple of turns of the engine), then its the clutch.

TBF mate, it doesn't make much difference if it is the thrust bearing and not the clutch plate. You still need to dig as deep into the engine bay to do either and I'd definitely replace both while I was in there anyway. Most of your bill is going to be labour and they'll fit both as part of the clutch kit.

I am bloody sure I didn't pay £600 when the clutch went on my MR2.

Yours is a Mk1, no? £600 was for a Mk2 (a proper car) and that was for the full clutch kit and as the engine came out to do it I had all the bushes/mounts renewed at the same time.

Should be able to get a "well used" one for £1-1.5k, a spanking example non-turbo, sub 60k miler, for around £2-2.5k. A turboed import will be £1000 more, but worth it for around 5 second 0-60 times. On second thoughts you'd probably kill yourself. On third thoughts, go for it. :)