Should changes be made for Saturday

ladysaint

we desperately need a point or three and though only two games in to the season do we need to bring in some of the more experienced players i.e. Thomas, Skacel, Ewell, BWP, Wotton, Dyer.

From the reports on the Reserves last night.

Wotton on the bench instead of one of the youngsters along with John OR McGoldrick.

Can see the thought process on Saturday - we have two forwards on the pitch so we have cover there don't need on the bench....didn't work, so would expect Thompson back on the right and one of DMG/SJ on the bench. Only alternatives would be Euell or Patterson on the bench.

BWP didn't sound like he was ready...

First test for JP

I would like to see some changes made during the game, if like Saturday we're chasing it. To stick to this 4-2-1-2-1 formation no matter what is a bit blinkered in my opinion.........

I'm sure we will add more as we get happier with the formation.

Like a sort of 4-3-3..... or 4-5-1.......;-)

Don't see us being Mike Bassett yet

we desperately need a point or three and though only two games in to the season do we need to bring in some of the more experienced players i.e. Thomas, Skacel, Ewell, BWP, Wotton, Dyer.

I agree but you would not include Skacel or BWP based on their dire performances last night for the Reserves. Euell was ok - Dyer was nowhere to be seem but Thomas and Wotton were watching.

Just because they are experienced does not mean they are better

Leave the starting line-up the same, but change the bench.

We need to be able to mix it up a bit better

Agreed - we played some good footy on Saturday but in the 2nd half when B'ham got in our faces more and Carsley started bossing the midfield we struggled. That's when you need the experience/aggression of a midfield bosser to dish it out - Perhaps Wooton can do this role (have never seen him play so don't know)

I would also put one of Skacel, BWP, Thomas or Euell on the bench just to add something different other than youthful enthusiasm

Agreed although I wonder who to put on the bench as extra striker, maybe BWP or should Paterson who played well in the reserve game get the nod ahead of BWP? Besides that I don't think Dyer will be on the bench or in the team, he didn't play saturday and was left out of the reserves yesterday. My bench would be (with the same line-up):

Forecast

Wotton

Mills

BWP

Paterson

The only thing I'd change would be the substitutions. Rather than bringing Thomson on for John if we're chasing the game bring Thomson on for Lallana or Gillet (who ever looks the most tired) and go to a 4-4-2. If we're hanging on to a lead - or a draw - then Wotton on instead. I'd have Euell on the bench for Lancashire (Wotton can go to centreback if Killer's knee looks dodgy) as he neatly covers midfield and big man up front. I'd give Fish a run down left midfield for the last ten minutes - I think he could work well in conjunction with Surman.

It may have just been me not paying attention, but I thought that Lallana was anonymous against Brum. He needs to start making more of an impact.

You're right. He did have a poor game and was muscled about second half (along with most of the squad bar Svensson and Perry) and didn't seem to be on his game. He didn't make much impact. I'd have subbed him if we had cover but we seriously lacked any attacking impetus anyhow on the bench which was Poorvliet's first crucial mistake imho.

We need to be more dominant in the centre of the park. Early days to judge Morgan but I'd be keen to see Wotton play, merely to compare with his CCC experience and age. I hope we don't pass flank to flank the majority of the game, leaving holes in the middle again with no forward men available for penetrating balls/crosses. We seriously lacked shape second half against Brum and had no spearhead of attack (or striker). It was like an H formation, Mc Goldrick was even sitting back for long periods as Brum powered through our obvious weakness (full back positions).

Early days I know but we've not much time to learn, we need results to breed confidence or it's all incidental.

Agreed - we played some good footy on Saturday but in the 2nd half when B'ham got in our faces more and Carsley started bossing the midfield we struggled. That's when you need the experience/aggression of a midfield bosser to dish it out - Perhaps Wooton can do this role (have never seen him play so don't know)

I would also put one of Skacel, BWP, Thomas or Euell on the bench just to add something different other than youthful enthusiasm

Wotton is what the side needs at the moment at least as a substitute to change/adapt during the game. Euell yes as sub but Thomas? Skacel injured and not fit.

I'd like to see Dyer start. We need to make the most of his pace. Besides that I wouldn't change much.

First time I have disagreed with you for a while. Until Dyer can learn to look up and cross a ball I'd leave him out. McGoldrich doesn't have his pace but he supplied three pinpoint cross/passes against Brum.

First time this week you have said something I agree with.

Maybe against Derby we should start a bit slower and pace ourselves if we are likely to run out of steam again.

You're right. He did have a poor game and was muscled about second half (along with most of the squad bar Svensson and Perry) and didn't seem to be on his game. He didn't make much impact. I'd have subbed him if we had cover but we seriously lacked any attacking impetus anyhow on the bench which was Poorvliet's first crucial mistake imho.

We need to be more dominant in the centre of the park. Early days to judge Morgan but I'd be keen to see Wotton play, merely to compare with his CCC experience and age. I hope we don't pass flank to flank the majority of the game, leaving holes in the middle again with no forward men available for penetrating balls/crosses. We seriously lacked shape second half against Brum and had no spearhead of attack (or striker). It was like an H formation, Mc Goldrick was even sitting back for long periods as Brum powered through our obvious weakness (full back positions).

Early days I know but we've not much time to learn, we need results to breed confidence or it's all incidental.

Funny how people see things differently. I thought Lallana looked one of our more likely players to conjure something.

I would like to see Thomas play right back instead of useless Lloyd James and maybe Dyer on the right with Rudi in middle if fit with Holmes on left and place BWP on the bench alongside Euell.

James was poor, but he won't come up against many better wingers than Quincy. So I'd give him one more chance.

I don't think any major changes can be made. The guys are really working hard for it, but we simply don't have the experience or matured-talent left to make it in this league. They've been set-up to fail by Ru**rt and his sidekick and their "sell to satisfy the bank" approach.

To significantly change the team now would in any case be an admission of failure by JP.

It hasn't failed yet. We've lost two tough games by one goal. It's not a bloody computer game.

I would like to see Thomas play right back instead of useless Lloyd James and maybe Dyer on the right with Rudi in middle if fit with Holmes on left and place BWP on the bench alongside Euell.

Very harsh on James. He was good going forwards, made a few decent saving tackles and you can't fault his workrate, far from 'useless''.

However I agree with your conclusion and play Thomas against the craftier opposition wingers like Quincey. I've no idea who's on Derby's left wing these days - anyone know?

Edited by SaintDonkey
oops - put Thomas instead of James

Wotton is what the side needs at the moment at least as a substitute to change/adapt during the game. Euell yes as sub but Thomas? Skacel injured and not fit.

Wotton is an awful player. Would deff prefer to have Schneiderlin infront of the defence.

Imo we should change Lallana and put Euell in that place. He had a strong finish to last season and I think an attacking role would suit him better then his role last season.

Is that the same Thomas that kept missing tackles and headers against Stoke? The team don't need an inclusion of slow useless players who bored us to death or went somewhere else to play last season.

If it was down to me Skacel would never pull on a Saints shirt again. Despite being wanted here he went to Berlin.

Very harsh on Thomas. He was good going forwards, made a few decent saving tackles and you can't fault his workrate, far from 'useless''.

However I agree with your conclusion and play Thomas against the craftier opposition wingers like Quincey. I've no idea who's on Derby's left wing these days - anyone know?

I think Commons plays on the left for Derby

Very harsh on Thomas. He was good going forwards, made a few decent saving tackles and you can't fault his workrate, far from 'useless''.

Obviously you meant Lloyd James not Thomas. Your last sentence makes no sense at all. JP has got it right with Thomas, he is pretty poor.

Is it not Giles Barnes who caused us issues in most of the games two seasons ago?

Aye, think John upfront with Euell coming in for Holmes and Wotton slotting into a midfield of 3 with Spiderman and Gillet will add bit of strength and nous to the team.

Also have DMG and Lallana tucked in behind John making it a Xmas formation would be good IMO.

With Dyer coming on as an impact player at some point.

Aye, think John upfront with Euell coming in for Holmes and Wotton slotting into a midfield of 3 with Spiderman and Gillet will add bit of strength and nous to the team.

Also have DMG and Lallana tucked in behind John making it a Xmas formation would be good IMO.

Er, I think you've got a player too many there - John, Euell, Wotton, Schneiderlin, Gillett, DMG and Lallana makes seven.

Pretty smart replacing pace with plod. We are trying to go forwards not have more of the dire, no pace football of last season.

Not all plod. Surman and James are in there and Gillet and Spiderman get around a bit. With the likes of Lallana and Dyer coming on to inject some pace into the game when/if Derby look like tiring.

Is that the same Thomas that kept missing tackles and headers against Stoke? The team don't need an inclusion of slow useless players who bored us to death or went somewhere else to play last season.

If it was down to me Skacel would never pull on a Saints shirt again. Despite being wanted here he went to Berlin.

Can't base Thomas on one game (Especially pre - season) am i correct that we all thought he was our best player when we signed him last year?

wotton should play instead of gillett, wotton played well against exeter and gillett is anonymous most of the time.

Why would we want to do that we played well against a good team and our boys need more games to learn and improve! This is a transition season where we are blooding players we are not seriously in a position to challenge for promotion!

If we succeed our players will rise in value and with a few judicious sales and purchases we can begin to build a serious promotion winning team. Filling the team up with too many journeymen (we need two or three max for experience) will deny our younger players experience and will get us nowhere.

Currently our financial situation is such we have no alternatives!

Every strategy has risks and with this one we must hope out team learns and matures quickly enough to hold a good mid table position and allow us to push on! I currently see no reason why they cannot if they continue to build on the early season style!!

Not all plod. Surman and James are in there and Gillet and Spiderman get around a bit. With the likes of Lallana and Dyer coming on to inject some pace into the game when/if Derby look like tiring.

Surman doesn't have pace he lost McFadden for the second goal on Saturday. I wouldn't call Schneiderlin quick and Lallana certainly isn't.

Thomas was always suspect at Burnley, I was surprised at the fee but he doesn't display any leadership and is pretty rash with his tackling and his timing and positional covering is poor.