Cocaine

Gemmel

Been having argument with a guy at work who reckons 75% of people aged between 21 -39 have tried cocaine at least once.

Ive never tried it and never will, but that statistic can't be right can it?

I've been offered it a few times, know a few people that use it fairly often, but can't believe it's 75%

Working in a pub that used to have lots of younger people in it, I would agree that it is probably about 80-90%.

However I would have said the age bracket is about 17-25 rather than 21-39 mainly because people of my age [35] would not have had such a prevalence of the drug when we were out 'clubbing'.

I think it's probably on a par with 'E's' from the 80's where I was probably in the 10% that could never be bothered to try them....

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I'm past that age group, but when I was younger the equivalently available drug was Acid. I knew people who had taken it, none regularly though, and I knew of someone who was completely f****d over by it. Percentage-wise, very low, maybe less than 5%.

I'd say most of my closer friends have tried it and some have had "a bit of a problem" with it. A problem being £200+ a week on the stuff.

Do some web research and you'll see that even some government estimates (based on some loose surveys probably) are no where near 75% of that age range. Particularly as it seems they like to group the research together into classes (Class A users etc etc) and not each particular drug.

He's probably made that figure up and if he has no way to prove it then its almost definitely wrong.

Cocaine overdose is not nice: convulsions, heart failure, or the depression of vital brain centres controlling respiration. Result: usually death.

The other main physical danger you face is damaging or perforating the septum, the thin membrane that separates the nostrils at the top of the nose. Regular coke snorters often suffer instant nosebleeds when snorting the drug. Occasional users may detect next-day bloodied mucus and congestion. Heavy users have their septums dissolved by corrosive effects of cocaine.

It does not grow back

• 8 months later...

Just read that, cheers, but my question was more along the lines (pardon the pun) of what are people on here's (or their friends;)) experiences of using it.

Sorry to sound a bit thick it's just that I have obviously moved in the wrong circles. I did used to enjoy a bit of puff now and then though, but having quit the fags 18 months ago, I found that having a 'smoke' made me want a fag again and that is something that simply ain't gonna happen.

I think people are right in that they say it depends on what circles you mix in.

I don't know anyone who is a regular user, only a handful of people who have just tried it.

I myself have never tried anything other than weed, which is probably the same as a large proportion of the population.

Also, anyone else heard that if alcohol was introduced as a new drug today, it'd be a class A? Funny how if something is deemed socially acceptable, regulated and heavily taxed, the government don't particularly care!

Why do some people rub the stuff into their gums? I have seen that in films and don't get it.

No web links pls I prefer hearing from the horses mouth.

Also, what is it like to take, is it a 'high' a 'buzz' do you halucinate, can you get downers? I thought it was used as a party drug to enhance sexual pleasure, but as I said earlier, I have never been that close to it.

Cocaine is a funny drug, the way it works means that you have to 'develop a taste' for it. No matter what some might say, it doesn't do much for most people the first time you do it. Your brain has to work out what to do with it, to learn the need it, first, in a way. After that, well, it's a buzz. Some people love it, doesn't fuss some others - but it's a bastard because you want more and more. If you want to keep the same impact, you feel driven have to up your amount over time until.. yeah, it can be a bit dodgy. One of the reasons people consider it to be the real 'gateway' drug to, erm, harder stuff. Yes, I know, you can't get above class A, but it's on the bottom line of class A in some ways. Won't do much harm alone (most of the Westbrook style septum damage comes from the other **** its produced with - blow your nose folks, even though it might not seem cool to your snow-loving lawyer mates) but it ****s your money and people on a buzz often act like ****s. Really self-absorbed, etc.

As for frequency of use - it depends on your circles. In some, it's well high - I know some people who do it and so do all of their mates - but I also know others who do use other lighter stuff who have mates who mostly haven't or a least don't touch it. It seems a natural graduation for the pill-poppers, etc - the leisure user - so if it's a liberal group with a vague apathy towards drugs legislation, or a love of hardcore dance, or.. well.. money - there's a good chance a fair number have used it. off the top of my head, I'd guesstimate about a quarter of people have tried it within that range.

The gums - as a membrane, you can absrob it through the gums. Yes, your gums go numb.

You don't, in theory, hallucinate, though some have claimed to. It was like a lot of other drugs - traditionally a party thing or whatever, but these things always get taken to extremes by some. Downers, no, it doesn't work like that, but some people get really glum come-downs. Anxiety, sleeping badly and so on can happen. In the longer term, or with high usage, you can get blood pressure problems, etc. If you overdose, it certainly can be pretty ****ed up, fatal even.

Gums- Go numb, cant feel your teeth

Nose- Drips down the back of your throat, tastes rather sour

Speed is similarly priced. Pink Champagne is where its at

??

I've heard that some people take speed or cocaine to get 'up' after smoking dope heavily, then have a smoke to calm down again? Surely that's a bit ****ed up if you're doing that though?