Official: Davies gone

benjii

Well, probably.

Think it's a bit odd that there is no mention of the fee at all though.

Fairly standard these days. How many transfers have "undisclosed fees" on Sky Sports News for example? Most of them, I imagine.

Well, probably.

Think it's a bit odd that there is no mention of the fee at all though.

Not really, its part of the increasing trend of 'undisclosed' transfer fees that abound in this age of football clubs being open & honest about transfer fees, agents fees, bungs etc ;)

But it doesn't even state "for an undiscolsed fee".

I was fully expecting some crowing about having secured the money in a lump-sum upfront payment, hence the risible amount, rather than £3m spread over 5 years, or some such arrangement.

I think the OS should at least make a cursory nod towards the fee.

Think the reason they have not quoted a fee is they don't want other clubs to know how much money we still need.

On here it's been suggested that we need 4mil, so we say 1.3 and some bstds could come in and say we'll give you 2.7mil for SJ, KD & AS all in one deal take it or leave it and go bust......

It says "about 1.3 mil" on the bbc website...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/stoke_city/7568131.stm

Stoke City have completed the signing of Southampton defender Andrew Davies for a fee of about £1.3m.

The 23-year-old has put to paper on a four-year contract only eight months after joining Southampton from Middlesbrough following a loan spell.

Potters boss Tony Pulis said: "He is a good young player who has got ability and some Premier League experience."

Davies, who can play at right-back or in central defence, is Stoke's sixth signing of the summer.

The former England Under-21 international made over 50 appearances for Middlesbrough after rising through the ranks of their academy.

He had spells on loan at QPR and Derby before moving to St Mary's in October 2007.

And Pulis hopes Davies will not be the last new face to arrive at the club.

He said: "We need to get players in right across the board, and we're working our socks off to try and do that.

"We're looking for people who've got the experience that maybe one or two of the others haven't got."

Think the reason they have not quoted a fee is they don't want other clubs to know how much money we still need.

On here it's been suggested that we need 4mil, so we say 1.3 and some bstds could come in and say we'll give you 2.7mil for SJ, KD & AS all in one deal take it or leave it and go bust......

I suppose that's a fair point but I'm pretty sure those clubs would have other ways of finding out other than through our OS.

I also don't believe this "you need £4m by the end of the month" rumour.

Quite odd IMO - I can't for one second believe Barclays would pull the plug on a fairly high profile football club, and certainly not on the back of failure to meet some arbitrary figure.

I suppose that's a fair point but I'm pretty sure those clubs would have other ways of finding out other than through our OS.

I also don't believe this "you need £4m by the end of the month" rumour.

Quite odd IMO - I can't for one second believe Barclays would pull the plug on a fairly high profile football club, and certainly not on the back of failure to meet some arbitrary figure.

Don't think they'd pull the plug either. But they could have said.

Your overdraft is xxxx. By 31st August it needs to be yyyy and we will support your business plan providing the overdraft does not rise above zzzzz in the period up to January.

Simple really if we go over the limit they'll bounce the cheques. That isn't pulling the plug, it's controlling what we spend. Pay wages or pay the mortgage or pay the taxman or pay the suppliers at the club shop/local business etc OR get the money in anyway you can.

I think he has been sold mainly to save on his wages - £10k or more a week adds up to quite a big saving - this is why I expect some other high earners to go.

I am still staggered that someone like BWP is paid £8,000 a week - no wonder we are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

Hi,

I am a sports reporter from the Sentinel newspaper in Stoke-on-Trent.

As part of the coverage we are doing on Andrew Davies we would like to hear from Saints supporters to get their opinion on Stoke's latest signing.

If you would be happy to answer a few of the questions I have, please e-mail me on dave.knapper@thesentinel.co.uk

Look forward to hearing from you!

Dave

Don't think they'd pull the plug either. But they could have said.

Your overdraft is xxxx. By 31st August it needs to be yyyy and we will support your business plan providing the overdraft does not rise above zzzzz in the period up to January.

Simple really if we go over the limit they'll bounce the cheques. That isn't pulling the plug, it's controlling what we spend. Pay wages or pay the mortgage or pay the taxman or pay the suppliers at the club shop/local business etc OR get the money in anyway you can.

I agree, I just think there would be some flexibility as they can see we are trying and have implemented various measures.

Maybe their position has hardened since Rupert and Wilde got involved again?

Hi,

As part of the coverage we are doing on Andrew Davies we would like to hear from Saints supporters to get their opinion on Stoke's latest signing.

If you would be happy to answer a few of the questions I have, please e-mail me on dave.knapper@thesentinel.co.uk

Look forward to hearing from you!

Dave

Pay your fiver and do it on here! ;)

I can sum him up for you:

Brave, good on the ball, not very pacy, not very good at full back, good at centre back, looks like Homer Simpson, went to the Twenty20 finals at the Rosebowl with a bunch of northerners.

HTH

PS - I'm sorry you have to live in/near Stoke.

Hi,

Dave

Wins everything in the air, never gives up, composed on the ball, ready to push forward at times, our best player by some distance last season, will be sorely missed.

I'm not annoyed with the fact we sold him, i'm annoyed with the fact he jumped at the first chance - after saying he wanted to see out his contract here to learn the game.

Good luck learning the game next year, you lieing pr*ck.

I would expect that after Rupes saw the wages he was on, it was made clear he was no longer welcome.

Not pleased at all. As many have said, the rumoured £1.3million fee is too low (unless of course it was a contractual stipulation) but the thing that really annoys me is that he's had all that medical treatment during the summer, to injuries relating to an injury he sustained at Boro, which Saints have obviously paid for. Now he's approaching fitness, he's b*ggered off to Stoke!

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

So that leaves us with Svensson, Perry and Thomas as our only 3 recognised defenders in the WHOLE squad. I have already given up with full backs...

Plus Lancashire. And Byrne. And Kyle Davies. And Racine if you want to push a point. They may not be ready for first team but they're adequate cover.

Centre back isn't a problem. Now if you're talking fullbacks...

Oh, f*cknuts. I'm sure he was on high wages and we will make a saving on him, but there must be other high earners at the club we could've got rid of instead? (Euell for example?)

I guess it's a question of who's willing to buy whom - and pay their wages after they've bought them. I could see Euell appealing to certain clubs, but if they don't want to match his current salary then he's not going anywhere.

At least we didn't get Anthony Pulis as part of the deal. Every cloud...

Amen to that......... (I just hope the OS aren't merely holding back the 'wondrous' news that we have signed him to give us a boost - off of the Itchen Bridge - later in the week).

I'm not annoyed with the fact we sold him, i'm annoyed with the fact he jumped at the first chance - after saying he wanted to see out his contract here to learn the game.

Good luck learning the game next year, you lieing pr*ck.

If what JP said about him wanting to leave is true (and why wouldn't it be?) I couldn't agree more.

But then again, if he did ask to leave I would presume this would have been in the form of handing a transfer request, and as the club must surely be aware that this transfer would have upset a lot of fans I would have thought they would have shouted about the transfer request from the rooftops - yet there is no mention of this on the OS report about him going!?

I agree, I just think there would be some flexibility as they can see we are trying and have implemented various measures.

Maybe their position has hardened since Rupert and Wilde got involved again?

The flexibility problem is the ticking clock.

The transfer window.

You can play dare for so long but as it gets closer and closer you HAVE to guarantee you have got the money in, because although it's been extended by a day, if we haven't got the money in by 31st, imagine the panic the next day.

Getting fees for loans and wages saved helps the weekly cash flow but wouldn't get the actual overdraft down where the bank have probably demanded it.

Again I think that SOME flexiility would have been possible, but our ONLY real income source in the summer months was the Season Ticket sales...... How good were they?

Then of course 17,000 turned up for the first game, bingo any hope of taking a risk just evaporated, as I am sure those numbers were probably WORSE than Lowe & Wilde planned for in their business plan when they first came back.

I don't think many expected that low an attendance, and you don't have to only be Alpine to doubt that number will grow much this season.

We don't know enough about the Davies purchase, maybe it was in installments and another one was coming due that we couldn't afford. Too many variables to guess at, the only hard fact is that window closing.

Plus Lancashire. And Byrne. And Kyle Davies. And Racine if you want to push a point. They may not be ready for first team but they're adequate cover.

Centre back isn't a problem. Now if you're talking fullbacks...

Explain to me how they are adequate cover if they are not ready for the first team.

A clear signal is sent out that nobody in our team or on our books is sacrosanct, anybody and everybody is up for grabs. Bargain prices are the order of the day, no reasonable offer refused.

So much for Lowe's fabled negotiating powers; he's the epitomy of the person who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing. There is absolutely no purpose in trying to build a team around any particular players, as if they are worthy of forming the backbone of our team, others will want them too. But they can always be replaced with some other youngster until he gets bought, to be replaced with ever younger or less experienced youngsters until we run out of them. Alternatively, we can replace some with ever older journeymen who are increasingly surplus to requirements anywhere else. By that time, we will be a typical 3rd division team and that is the league that we will be playing in too.

And Lowe will be charging the same prices to watch them, although the attendance numbers will have dropped to about 8/9000 as a result. :(

Explain to me how they are adequate cover if they are not ready for the first team.

I think he means they are okay for the odd game a season as emergency cover but not yet ready to be permanent members of the first team. Probably true but it relies on our CBs conveniently getting short-term injuries at different times - perhaps they could talk over diaries. Perry to Svensson "I'll strain a calf on January 9th but will be back in light training by the 17th." Svensson to Perry "Good my twisted ankle doesn't start until the 20th"...

A clear signal is sent out that nobody in our team or on our books is sacrosanct, anybody and everybody is up for grabs. Bargain prices are the order of the day, no reasonable offer refused.

So much for Lowe's fabled negotiating powers; he's the epitomy of the person who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing. There is absolutely no purpose in trying to build a team around any particular players, as if they are worthy of forming the backbone of our team, others will want them too. But they can always be replaced with some other youngster until he gets bought, to be replaced with ever younger or less experienced youngsters until we run out of them. Alternatively, we can replace some with ever older journeymen who are increasingly surplus to requirements anywhere else. By that time, we will be a typical 3rd division team and that is the league that we will be playing in too.

And Lowe will be charging the same prices to watch them, although the attendance numbers will have dropped to about 8/9000 as a result. :(

You make a fair point here. I think

Oh, f*cknuts. I'm sure he was on high wages and we will make a saving on him, but there must be other high earners at the club we could've got rid of instead? (Euell for example?)

Nobody wants Euell though. We could only get rid of Rasiak on loan. The bank is running the finances not Lowe. If you cannot get rid of certain players then others have to be off-loaded and as shown before at other clubs when you need money players are sold cheaper than usual.

Dear Andrew,

See you in the Championship next season. I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome.

All the best,

Laptop

PS Can we have that Player of the Season award back, please.

As we're be in League one next season I doubt we'll be seeing him in the Championship at SMS unless we play Stole in the cup or pre-season again.

Pay your fiver and do it on here! ;)

I can sum him up for you:

Brave, good on the ball, not very pacy, not very good at full back, good at centre back, looks like Homer Simpson, went to the Twenty20 finals at the Rosebowl with a bunch of northerners.

HTH

PS - I'm sorry you have to live in/near Stoke.

Stokes not so bad, I worked there for three years. Still visit friends there occasionally, tbh I feel safer in Hanley of a saturday night than I do in Southampton city centre

My question would be why was an unproven premiership reserve one of our top earners. ok so he worked but why where we paying transfer fees and high wages combined. Madness.

Also why are Lowe and wilde in charge when they have both ****ed up this club in different ways. They seem to be one extreme to the other.

But it doesn't even state "for an undiscolsed fee".

I was fully expecting some crowing about having secured the money in a lump-sum upfront payment, hence the risible amount, rather than £3m spread over 5 years, or some such arrangement.

I think the OS should at least make a cursory nod towards the fee.

surely if the club does not disclose it, that makes it undisclosed. We are a sh*te club. we used to be a small club in the premiership, now we are a small club in the championship...