New England Captain

stevegrant

Ferdinand is a drugs cheat and should'nt be playing football at any level, if only the F.A. had a spine:mad:

Unfortunately there's no proof of that as he's never tested positive. He "forgot" to attend a drugs test, but it's impossible to say whether that's because he was guilty or not. I suspect that he's been tested many times since then and, considering he's not missed any games, presumably has sailed through all of them.

Personally, Ferdinand would have been my choice as he is the only defender we have who is guaranteed a place in the team. If Jonathan Woodgate is fit, I would have him in the team ahead of John Terry.

Does anyone else think that, after the initial flurry of hype and excitement, Capello's England are going to be very similar to the England we knew and wanted rid of? Same old players who've had every previous chance, getting picked off MOTD; same old cobblers from the camp about needing "more passion" and "the right attitude".

Does anyone else think that, after the initial flurry of hype and excitement, Capello's England are going to be very similar to the England we knew and wanted rid of? Same old players who've had every previous chance, getting picked off MOTD; same old cobblers from the camp about needing "more passion" and "the right attitude".

Every England manager has been the same for as long as I can remember.

Before their appointment, everyone moans about the "same old faces" in the team who have failed before. Then when the new manager's appointed, he makes a vow that everyone has to fight for their place and can't rely on their reputation and then makes some bold and surprising selections, probably dropping one or two big names "to send out a strong signal". The first game ends in a comfortable victory against normally-decent opposition and all of a sudden a new era has dawn upon us.

Then the friendlies are over and all of a sudden the same old faces are drafted back into the team and continue to underachieve based on their reputations and their overinflated opinions of their own abilities and everyone starts moaning again.

The key difference between McClaren and Capello is that Capello clearly does have a presence about him and demands respect. McClaren was (and still is, albeit with an amusing Dutch twang) a complete waste of space who none of the players respected. Hopefully that'll be the key difference. I wouldn't get too excited about the prospect of us actually winning something though, it'll be no different to the Eriksson era. We'll qualify comfortably for every tournament and get to the quarter-finals where we'll either come up against a much better team or a team who can actually take penalties.

I would also have gone for Terry, Rio is a wannabe rapper/gangster who is also a drugs cheat.

Terry has the typical bulldog spirit and IMHO guaranteed a place in the team.

FWIW: I would have had Terry and Carragher at the back for the last few years.

I would have told Rio "braaap" Ferdinand to "do one"

Terry and Ferdinand are quite easily our first choice centre back pairing and quite rightly. Woodgate, Carragher, Lescott, Richards etc aren't even close imo, now Ledley King if he could ever stay fit would have a case but he is unfotunatley perma-crocked.

As for Capello being the same as every other England manager picking the same old faces I tend to agree but there are only so many things he can change really. I'd like to see Bentley, Young or even Downing on the wing instead of Beckham with Joe Cole on the other flank, i've no idea why Young isn't even in the squad.

I can't really see Gerrard and Rooney working in the same side unless one of them plays on the wing, but we have so many talented wingers that it's a waste.

I can't see us winning anything or coming close to winning anything with the current crop of players, we don't exactly have many decent youngsters aside from Walcott, Richards and Rooney so I doubt it will change much in the near future.

Terry has the typical bulldog spirit

That is exactly why England don't win anything and won't win anything.

We go into matches with an arrogant attitude that because "we're England, the country that invented football", the opposition should just lie down and let us beat them easily. The "bulldog spirit" works against a handful of nations. They are: Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland. The reason being that they have near-identical styles of play, but with vastly inferior players.

A large number of nations (much more than the FIFA rankings would suggest) are technically superior to us because we have been stuck in some sort of 60s and 70s timewarp with the belief that we only have to try that bit harder than the opposition and we'll win, regardless of whether we've got any technical ability or not. It doesn't work anymore, and hasn't really worked since 1990.

The vast majority of England's "top" players are so inferior technically to their European and South American counterparts, it's almost embarrassing. That's the real reason the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Terry, etc will probably never play in La Liga or Serie A, because they'd get found out. In my opinion, while he may have been lacking in concentration in the past and there will always be that cloud of uncertainty above him from 2004, Rio Ferdinand is the single technically world-class player England currently possesses, and the only one who would get into any top team in the world, either club team or national team.

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Terry getting found out? :D

I guess that's why they're all so crap in the Champions League. I Agree with the first three paragraphs but that last one is total ****. Terry for example is better than any South American centre back, Lampard was wanted by the best team in Italy and Gerrard totally out classed Pirlo, Gattuo, Nesta etal in 2005.

Beckham in the centre :|

Even in his pomp he was a pretty crap central midfielder.

We need Scholes back to play in the centre alongside Barry or Hargreaves, never gonna happen though.

Scholes is probably the best English CM and has been for at least the last 5 years. Shame Ferguson influences the international careers of so many of his players.....

I guess that's why they're all so crap in the Champions League. I Agree with the first three paragraphs but that last one is total ****. Terry for example is better than any South American centre back, Lampard was wanted by the best team in Italy and Gerrard totally out classed Pirlo, Gattuo, Nesta etal in 2005.

Of those listed, only Gerrard has stood out in Europe. You might also remember that Gerrard didn't get a touch of the ball until the 46th minute of the game you're referring to, so I'd hardly say he outclassed them.

Terry is far too slow for international football. He can get away with it in the Premier League because none of the referees spot (or they ignore) his blatant cheating and of course none of them ever spot when he decides to take a turn as goalkeeper either. "But he's so brave throwing himself in front of the ball like that". Whoopee-****ing-do. If he hadn't lost his marker two seconds beforehand, he wouldn't have to make such a last-ditch challenge in the first place...

Lampard was wanted by Mourinho. Inter wouldn't have batted an eyelid at him with a different manager. Isn't it strange how every time Lampard's contract is a year from its end, he's linked with a top European club... wouldn't have anything to do with his agent trying to secure a ridiculous pay-rise for him, would it? Three years ago he was linked with Barcelona, and he then got a double-your-money pay-rise. This summer, he was linked with Inter, and he's now supposedly the highest-paid player in the Premier League.

Not bad work for someone whose goals tend to come from penalties or deflections.

Not a single European club has been linked with Rooney. "Typical English playmaker" springs to mind. They're all good players, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't say ANY of them are the "world-class" players the press would have you believe.

That is exactly why England don't win anything and won't win anything.

We go into matches with an arrogant attitude that because "we're England, the country that invented football", the opposition should just lie down and let us beat them easily. The "bulldog spirit" works against a handful of nations. They are: Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland. The reason being that they have near-identical styles of play, but with vastly inferior players.

A large number of nations (much more than the FIFA rankings would suggest) are technically superior to us because we have been stuck in some sort of 60s and 70s timewarp with the belief that we only have to try that bit harder than the opposition and we'll win, regardless of whether we've got any technical ability or not. It doesn't work anymore, and hasn't really worked since 1990.

The vast majority of England's "top" players are so inferior technically to their European and South American counterparts, it's almost embarrassing. That's the real reason the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Terry, etc will probably never play in La Liga or Serie A, because they'd get found out. In my opinion, while he may have been lacking in concentration in the past and there will always be that cloud of uncertainty above him from 2004, Rio Ferdinand is the single technically world-class player England currently possesses, and the only one who would get into any top team in the world, either club team or national team.

A far more eloquent way of putting what I was trying to say.

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney. All good players, all very similar players. I'm not sure I agree that they'd get 'found out'. The fact that they consistently hold down places in very successful European teams would argue against that. There's room in a successful team for a hard-working, attacking midfielder who can supplement the strikers and add a bit of b0ll0cks and a change of gear to a creative team. That's the role all three play (despite any pretentions Rooney may have to being a striker) and is the reason only one of them should be on the pitch for England at any one time. Unfortunately successive England managers pick all three because they are our 'best players', because we've got precious few creative options and because they will keep pushing Joe Cole out to the wing.

In a nutshell what I'm saying is, I know better than Fabio Capello. Who the hell does he think he is anyway :)

Of those listed, only Gerrard has stood out in Europe. You might also remember that Gerrard didn't get a touch of the ball until the 46th minute of the game you're referring to, so I'd hardly say he outclassed them.

Terry is far too slow for international football. He can get away with it in the Premier League because none of the referees spot (or they ignore) his blatant cheating and of course none of them ever spot when he decides to take a turn as goalkeeper either. "But he's so brave throwing himself in front of the ball like that". Whoopee-****ing-do. If he hadn't lost his marker two seconds beforehand, he wouldn't have to make such a last-ditch challenge in the first place...

Lampard was wanted by Mourinho. Inter wouldn't have batted an eyelid at him with a different manager. Isn't it strange how every time Lampard's contract is a year from its end, he's linked with a top European club... wouldn't have anything to do with his agent trying to secure a ridiculous pay-rise for him, would it? Three years ago he was linked with Barcelona, and he then got a double-your-money pay-rise. This summer, he was linked with Inter, and he's now supposedly the highest-paid player in the Premier League.

Not bad work for someone whose goals tend to come from penalties or deflections.

Not a single European club has been linked with Rooney. "Typical English playmaker" springs to mind. They're all good players, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't say ANY of them are the "world-class" players the press would have you believe.

The first 45 when he helped get them into the 3-0 predicament was more to do with Rafa getting the tactics wrong, once Hamman was brought on and Gerrard allowed to move into his preferred role he took the game to Milan and eventually won it for his side.

Terry does get away with a lot in the Premiership just like all defenders in every league get away with things, Ferdinand gets away with just as much. Chelsea also got to a Champions League final last season and two semi finals in the three seasons before that so he's obviously doing something right. Anyway my point was that he's quite easily good enough for plenty of top club sides (Real, Juve, Barca) and plenty of top national team (Argentina, Brazil.)

So a top manager at a top club wants Lampard, he even directly said he wanted Lampard. You can say it's all paper and agent talk but you're wrong Mourinho wanted to sign Lampard. 70 odd goals from midfield for Chelsea is a whole lot of penalties and deflections.

Rooney hasn't been linked with anyone because he hasn't reached his potential yet and it would require a massive fee to get someone like Rooney or Terry, Lampard, Gerrard etc.

I do agree that they're not world-class and possibly Ferdinand is as close to world class as we have but to say they would get found out in a foreign league is a ridiculous thing to say. Even player like Joe Cole, Owen Hargreaves etc could do a job for most the top sides in Europe.

A far more eloquent way of putting what I was trying to say.

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney. All good players, all very similar players. I'm not sure I agree that they'd get 'found out'. The fact that they consistently hold down places in very successful European teams would argue against that. There's room in a successful team for a hard-working, attacking midfielder who can supplement the strikers and add a bit of b0ll0cks and a change of gear to a creative team. That's the role all three play (despite any pretentions Rooney may have to being a striker) and is the reason only one of them should be on the pitch for England at any one time. Unfortunately successive England managers pick all three because they are our 'best players', because we've got precious few creative options and because they will keep pushing Joe Cole out to the wing.

In a nutshell what I'm saying is, I know better than Fabio Capello. Who the hell does he think he is anyway :)

I agree, there should only be one from Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard in the side unless one gets shunted to the wing. If we had a good enough holding player you could probably get away with two but as it is we'd probably be better off with just one and two players like Barry and Hargreaves.

Scholes is probably the best English CM and has been for at least the last 5 years. Shame Ferguson influences the international careers of so many of his players.....

Indeed, it's no suprise he got fed up with playing left wing though.

A Hargreaves, Scholes and Gerrard midfield three would be perfect.

I would have given it to Rooney. Might just give him the spark to take his game to the next level

In my opinion, Rooney's place in the team is hanging by a thread... He's a modern day John Barnes. Good for club, useless for country. I honestly wouldnt have him starting for England. He's a liability.

England players are all over paid over rated and under performing ****s as far as i'm concerned. They should watch some of the olympic competitors to see some determination, dedication, hard work and pride in representing their country.

I used to follow England in word cups and euro's years ago but can't think of many England players i don't really dislike these days.

Might as well make Cashley Cole captain :-(

Terry cared that much for England that he cried off the Croatia game with an injury, but was mysteriously fit to play for Chelsea 3 days later. He was also filmed laughing and joking on the bench that game when we were 3-2 down.

Lost a lot of respect for him after that. Woodgate and Ferdinand were an outstanding partnership for Leeds.

Ferdinand would have been my skipper. Terry, I'm not sure if I would have him in my first XI.

It does make one wonder what the point of the whole "lets select lots of different captains anf choose the best one" method that Capello started, when all along he, and everyone else, knew that it was always going to be Terry.

I guess that's why they're all so crap in the Champions League. I Agree with the first three paragraphs but that last one is total ****. Terry for example is better than any South American centre back, Lampard was wanted by the best team in Italy

You are such a Chelsea fan.

On the subject of Rooney...he is a pure example of why we fail...he gets built up to be some sort of world mega star when in fact he is pretty average..

sure he has good games against wigan, fulham, boro the like but the big games he is pretty poor with the odd good game thrown in...

when was the last time he was anything close to being good for england let alone score..I wont even mention consistancy...

yet, he appears to be untouchable...