Pompey firesale to continue?!

saint_stevo

we are going down end of. defoe is no loss of late, he has missed chance after chance and cost us around 9 points in the last 5 games

Johnson saddens me but Distin again is having an awful season, unbelieveable that he has the gaul to speak out considering his current performance. yep your told you so's bring em on they are coming home to roost.

we need some fighters at fratton park, I would be happy to see

Campbell, James, Distin, Defoe, Krancjar, Utaka all go - no fight or passion from any of them and all seem disinterested, buy some lower league english players who at least want to play for the shirt and have a bit of guts. Gary O'Neil may not be a great player but he'll give you his all as would Matty Taylor.

like I said the other day, 5 years in the prem, FA Cup win, 3 wembley appearances, 2 top 10 finishes, europe all in my lifetime is awesome. So yes I'll take the flack from you guys but it has all been worth it.

Only bummer is your going down aswell so still no fecking derby lol !

I'll give you a £50 bet right now the only major player likely to be leaving is Diarra, who we have been playing without for 4-5 games now. in fact this season he has not quite reached last seasons heights, he keeps picking up niggles and injuries.

Show me hard facts we have to sell, that is facts that have not come from a jackanory journo. If you can find facts then also include tony adams comments today that we are in fact going to have funds in Jan. We have agreed to sign Belhadji for £3M in January ! But we are skint - remember that, I'll be back Jan 31st to resurrect your post :D

Cough cough. I predict Pompey will be 14th by tomorrow!

Were desperate, but we do have a lot of valuable assets

True as that may be, their value is diminished by the knowledge that PFC is desperate for the money, and that chances are some of the better players are now desperate to leave. A club would almost always (Spurs being the idiotic exception re Berbatov) choose to sell an unhappy player so he doesn't cause problems in the dressing room.

Also, as much as you may bring in by selling players, firstly it won't cover the debt, and secondly the money brought in clearly won't buy replacements who are anywhere near the same quality.

I would be very surprised if you go down this season, although with the gap at just three points, it's certainly not out of the question. I'm not entirely sure how a defence that was so good last season has suddenly turned to complete crap.

True as that may be, their value is diminished by the knowledge that PFC is desperate for the money, and that chances are some of the better players are now desperate to leave. A club would almost always (Spurs being the idiotic exception re Berbatov) choose to sell an unhappy player so he doesn't cause problems in the dressing room.

Also, as much as you may bring in by selling players, firstly it won't cover the debt, and secondly the money brought in clearly won't buy replacements who are anywhere near the same quality.

I would be very surprised if you go down this season, although with the gap at just three points, it's certainly not out of the question. I'm not entirely sure how a defence that was so good last season has suddenly turned to complete crap.

Tony Adams?

I dont think Pompey will go down, though obviously it's a real possibility. I'll tell you what the problem is in a nutshell. The owner has had a ambition adjustment, until 6 months ago he was aiming to 'do a Villa' and had bought players accordingly, now we are looking to 'Do a Bolton' and just comfortably maintain our Premiership status. many of our players are now unhappy as they believed they were joining a more ambitious club. DISTAN, DEFOE and JOHNSON. They will all go in January. If we get the right replacements (Cheaper but still able) we will be ok, if we don't were f******. I believe if we stay up this year, we'll be ok next, financially too as so many of our players contracts are up this year and most of them if not all, wont be missed, we will then be on a much more solid financial footing a few years later we may even bring a few players through our new youth set up, which is actually coming along leaps and bounds. :)

I dont think Pompey will go down, though obviously it's a real possibility. I'll tell you what the problem is in a nutshell. The owner has had a ambition adjustment, until 6 months ago he was aiming to 'do a Villa' and had bought players accordingly, now we are looking to 'Do a Bolton' and just comfortably maintain our Premiership status. many of our players are now unhappy as they believed they were joining a more ambitious club. DISTAN, DEFOE and JOHNSON. They will all go in January. If we get the right replacements (Cheaper but still able) we will be ok, if we don't were f******. I believe if we stay up this year, we'll be ok next, financially too as so many of our players contracts are up this year and most of them if not all, wont be missed, we will then be on a much more solid financial footing a few years later we may even bring a few players through our new youth set up, which is actually coming along leaps and bounds. :)

your youth set up may well be great, but it won't keep you in the PL...........

THAT requires CASH.

looks liek defoe is off..

he was on the bench on MOTD and nugent started..

right...that is defoe gone..all we need now is glenn johnson and kranckar to be sold...throw in crouch for measure too

also - no chance of a new ground for them as adams admitted that the chairman will not be putting any more money in and they ahve to be self sustaining so to speak..

Edited by Thedelldays

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

right...that is defoe gone..all we need now is glenn johnson and kranckar to be sold...throw in crouch for measure too

also - no chance of a new ground for them as adams admitted that the chairman will not be putting any more money in and they ahve to be self sustaining so to speak..

Good evening. Pleasant night out in Millbay then?

your youth set up may well be great, but it won't keep you in the PL...........

THAT requires CASH.

Like I say if we stay up this year, we will be OK for a good few years. I dont believe that anyone who wants to go will be stopped from going Players who want to go:

Defoe - 14 Million

Johnson - 10 Million

Distan - 6 Million

30 Million + Diarras 20 Million goes along way to paying off our debt and making it more reasonable.

We cant keep these players, they believe we dont match their ambitions now. I will be surprised if anyone else goes. Others will be bought in. Alot depends on the quality and more importantly readyness of those coming into replace those going.

The press is having a field day with us. The owner is tight lipped, this allows speculation. Couple this with Redknapp leaving for spurs and the presses desire for Pompey to play their part in the story they want, which is, Redknapp leaves Pompey, Pompey implode, Spurs rise to greatness. Sorry but i've seen it before. When Redknapp quite Pompey to go to Saints, he jumped ship, Pompey were to perish and Saints would be saved under his stewardship. As we all know it never worked out like that. I am still optimistic regarding Pompey's future, not in terms of league position, but I do believe we will maintain our status.

lol

I remember the blue few gobbing off about achieving more in the top flight already than what we did in 27 years..

errrm...no

Depends what your definition of 'Achieve' is a suppose. If it's winning things then yes, if its longjevity in the top flight? I suppose we can't assess that for another 21 years. :)

For the record IMO 27 years of top flight football is a huge achievment. But likewise, I'm rightly proud to say I support the 2008 FA Cup Winners and current cup holders, as would you if you were Trophy holders.

Kranjcar is my Favourite player, but when he has played this year he has been pretty awful. IMO our best players this year have been Crouch, Distan, Johnson and Belhadj, two of which will probably leave for hefty sums of money. The key is who comes in, if no one, then yes we will struggle. I believe we have a few good replacements lined up already.

Defoe - 14 Million

Johnson - 10 Million

Distan - 6 Million

If those players go for those values I will eat the hat I don't own.

Unhappy players = devalued players.

Defoe still hasn't fully been paid for, which diminishes his value, so he'll go for £8-9m tops. Johnson has the best chance of going for a "decent" fee - but as he's a right-back, he still won't command a massive amount. £4-5m for him. Distin for £6m?! Please tell me you're taking the ****. If he goes, you'll be lucky to get £2-3m for him, he's the wrong side of 30 on massive wages.

Defoe still hasn't fully been paid for, which diminishes his value, so he'll go for £8-9m tops. Johnson has the best chance of going for a "decent" fee - but as he's a right-back, he still won't command a massive amount. £4-5m for him. Distin for £6m?! Please tell me you're taking the ****. If he goes, you'll be lucky to get £2-3m for him, he's the wrong side of 30 on massive wages.

Granty be fair, Distan is a seriously good defender, maybe 6m is high but i'd say a more acurate valuation is somewhere between what you stated and what I stated. If we sell those players we will get a good return, maybe 30 Mill was a bit optimistic on my part, but even if it was a combined fee of 20 Mill it would be a step in the right direction and would significantly reduce our wage bill. Also campbell's mega wage will be gone at the end of the season as well as upto 13 free agents. If we survive this year, which we should, we'll be in a position to cut our cloth accordingly next season. A situation any sane Pompey fan will be happy with. Also the prices I have quoted are from the Press, the same press so many people on here are happy to take as Gospel when it involves doom and gloom re Pompey, why should i be any different and not pick and choose to believe what suits me? :)

Granty be fair, Distan is a seriously good defender, maybe 6m is high but i'd say a more acurate valuation is somewhere between what you stated and what I stated.

I don't deny that Distin is an excellent defender, but given the various different things that can (and will, IMO) dent his value, I just can't see the price being any higher than £3m. As I said, he's the wrong side of 30, other clubs are aware that Pompey are skint which means any offers received will be lower as they will think they can get away with it, and if he's unhappy the club will probably want to get him out of the club as quickly as possible.

Also campbell's mega wage will be gone at the end of the season as well as upto 13 free agents.

Without seeing the list of players whose contracts expire, I would guess that a number of those are among your better players, and they're all going to need replacing. From the outside, it looks as if the squad as it is at the moment isn't big or strong enough, so without those 13 players, that's going to need significant spending to replace those players. Money you appear not to have.

If we survive this year, which we should, we'll be in a position to cut our cloth accordingly next season. A situation any sane Pompey fan will be happy with.

Yes and no, I suspect. Cutting your cloth accordingly will involve only spending what you're actually bringing in whilst reducing the debt - with gates of 19-20k, that's not going to leave very much to spend.

we are going down end of. defoe is no loss of late, he has missed chance after chance and cost us around 9 points in the last 5 games

Johnson saddens me but Distin again is having an awful season, unbelieveable that he has the gaul to speak out considering his current performance. yep your told you so's bring em on they are coming home to roost.

we need some fighters at fratton park, I would be happy to see

Campbell, James, Distin, Defoe, Krancjar, Utaka all go - no fight or passion from any of them and all seem disinterested, buy some lower league english players who at least want to play for the shirt and have a bit of guts. Gary O'Neil may not be a great player but he'll give you his all as would Matty Taylor.

like I said the other day, 5 years in the prem, FA Cup win, 3 wembley appearances, 2 top 10 finishes, europe all in my lifetime is awesome. So yes I'll take the flack from you guys but it has all been worth it.

Only bummer is your going down aswell so still no fecking derby lol !

good job you Welshed on your bet, me thinks

I respect most of what you post Steve but I think Defoe and Johnson if they are off will be going for over £20M. Johnson for £4-5M lol - thats funny. Easily be £8M I reckon, especially if Liverpool are in the mix. No one believed Diarra would go for £20M but he did.

I don't agree with the statement about a player not being fully paid for having any effect on transfer value. The player is worth what fee you demand, nothing to do with whether he is paid up or not. What makes you think other clubs would know what their status is either. Most playes these days are not paid for outright up front and their values are not diminished.

And thats a fact!:D

Diesel feckin turnip head;) seasons only half over, Eggs and Chickens:D

Wonder how long we will have to wait before the (Pompey going down) smiley reappears;)

Oh dear! Who's a diesel feckin turnip head? Moi? 'Arry?

Read back and you'll see that I've counted neither chickens or eggs!

More like offered my hopes maybe.

I respect most of what you post Steve but I think Defoe and Johnson if they are off will be going for over £20M. Johnson for £4-5M lol - thats funny. Easily be £8M I reckon, especially if Liverpool are in the mix. No one believed Diarra would go for £20M but he did.

I don't agree with the statement about a player not being fully paid for having any effect on transfer value. The player is worth what fee you demand, nothing to do with whether he is paid up or not. What makes you think other clubs would know what their status is either. Most playes these days are not paid for outright up front and their values are not diminished.

A player is also worth what the buying club are prepared to pay! Sometimes external influences, such as financial melt down in the economy, dictate their ceiling and they'll not go above that.

Will Adams get any of the fees received to strengthen the team? Or do you think that (a la Lowe) he'll receive a nominal amount and the rest might go to balancing the books?

true story..

One of my good mates in southampton works at southampton airport..

he told me this morning 30-12-08 that Sol Campbell got on a flight to newcastle...

hmmm...who the feck would want him..?

His mum lives in Gateshead, probably just popping up to see her.

I thought you might like to be reminded of this post a couple of weeks ago.

(quote by Merovian) I'll give you a £50 bet right now the only major player likely to be leaving is Diarra, who we have been playing without for 4-5 games now. in fact this season he has not quite reached last seasons heights, he keeps picking up niggles and injuries.

Show me hard facts we have to sell, that is facts that have not come from a jackanory journo. If you can find facts then also include tony adams comments today that we are in fact going to have funds in Jan. We have agreed to sign Belhadji for £3M in January ! But we are skint - remember that, I'll be back Jan 31st to resurrect your post (end of quote)

Merovian the last few words are amusing, even you might see that.Xmas greetings by the way

I thought you might like to be reminded of this post a couple of weeks ago.

(quote by Merovian) I'll give you a £50 bet right now the only major player likely to be leaving is Diarra, who we have been playing without for 4-5 games now. in fact this season he has not quite reached last seasons heights, he keeps picking up niggles and injuries.

Show me hard facts we have to sell, that is facts that have not come from a jackanory journo. If you can find facts then also include tony adams comments today that we are in fact going to have funds in Jan. We have agreed to sign Belhadji for £3M in January ! But we are skint - remember that, I'll be back Jan 31st to resurrect your post (end of quote)

Merovian the last few words are amusing, even you might see that.Xmas greetings by the way

not again - you made the bet unbettable stating you will wait to see who is sold before you confirm, even granty thought you were talking out your ass FFS ! Sol Campbell is not a top drawer player ! Your laughable

Seeing though as you always believe whats in the press about pompey you must certainly believe this, no questions asked ! You cannot have it both ways, and incidentally I am not saying I believe this

Pompey deny bids for Johnson and Defoe

Pompey full-back Glen Johnson

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/319696758?-11209

30 December 2008

By Neil Allen

Glen Johnson is considering taking legal action over claims he is poised for a £9m move to Liverpool.

The England full-back and his agent are incensed by reports he has been shown around Liverpool's training ground.

According to the allegations in a national newspaper, Johnson visited the Reds' Melwood base in the build-up to Christmas.

The suggestion has been angrily denied by Pompey, who insist they have had no approach for Johnson.

Executive chairman Storrie said: 'We have had no approaches for any of our players and that includes Glen.

'I know that his agent has taken this story up with the newspaper and is pushing for an apology.

'Glen is livid, everyone is, it's an outrageous story.

'To say we have had a bid for him is a lie, it's just silly season.'

Storrie has also dismissed Harry Redknapp's claims the club have received a 'massive' bid for Jermain Defoe, who has reportedly told

Tony Adams he wants a move back to Tottenham despite interest from Aston Villa.

Both clubs have also reportedly made verbal bids of between £12-16m for the striker, but Storrie insists Spurs were knocked back after an initial enquiry.

He also shot down Redknapp's allegations another club has been given the go-ahead.

Storrie said: 'We have had a tentative enquiry about Jermain and told the club concerned he was not for sale unless it was for a very, very big offer.

'As with any of our players, obviously if an exceptional offer came in, such as that for Lassana Diarra, we would consider it, as any club would.

'But no-one has made a bid.'

Meanwhile, Pompey have confirmed they expect to sign Nadir Belhadj permanently in January.

EastleighSoulBoy - suspect Adams will not get all the funds for re-investment as some of the funds will go to paying off Defoe etc but he will get a reasonable amount to sign players that are our level, our level is not Crouch, Defoe, Diarra, etc - we were and are punching above our weight, we are a mid to low table team without investment

as for Defoe - get rid - reminds me of Andy Cole, requires 10 shots to score 1 goal FFS ! Does not gel bruilliantly with Crouch either - Kanu for all his faults is much better at the support role, says alot.

Probably prompted by the realisation that Pompey will ALWAYS be a badly supported, nasty little club, in the arsehole of Britain.

;)