I am confused ( again !! )

Saint in Paradise

For several weeks now I occasionally get spam e-mails that say they are sent from my own e-mail

address when quite plainly I have not sent them to myself. I have the latest updates re Windows XP,

AVG, Super Anti Spyware and Malwarebytes anti malware stuff and have done full scans but still these e-mails

keep arriving. In the e-mail it says that I can unsubscribe but I of course ignore clicking onto that link.

Please has anyone got any ideas to help ? I contacted my ISP but they just ignore me.

I take it this is client based e-mail, e.g. Outlook or Outlook Express. Have you considered web based e-mail, e.g. google-mail..?

I'd had a current client based e-mail address as my main one for some years. Then the spam became too much bother to sift through, even when putting up loads of security barriers. It kept them out for a while, but they returned. Now that e-mail account has safe lists only, and I use it for business purposes. I signed onto Googlemail for my informal, everyday e-mail, about 2-3 years ago. I think I've received about 20-30 spams total in that time; but the thing is, it is so rare it doesn't bother me. And Googlemail is not like crappy old slow Hotmail.

Btw, I'm certainly NOT recommending people like Yahoo, who want to clog up your PC with sh!te. Googlemail is as tactful and withdrawn as you want, or not.

I take it this is client based e-mail, e.g. Outlook or Outlook Express. Have you considered web based e-mail, e.g. google-mail..?

I'd had a current client based e-mail address as my main one for some years. Then the spam became too much bother to sift through, even when putting up loads of security barriers. It kept them out for a while, but they returned. Now that e-mail account has safe lists only, and I use it for business purposes. I signed onto Googlemail for my informal, everyday e-mail, about 2-3 years ago. I think I've received about 20-30 spams total in that time; but the thing is, it is so rare it doesn't bother me. And Googlemail is not like crappy old slow Hotmail.

Btw, I'm certainly NOT recommending people like Yahoo, who want to clog up your PC with sh!te. Googlemail is as tactful and withdrawn as you want, or not.

I get this issue, on my Gmail account! They all go in my spam folder but it is a bit odd to open the folder and see me as the sender. When I hover my cursor over the me it actually shows nothing. Normally it would show the actual mail address.

It's not ****ing me off but I just thought I'd add what little info I have to the debate.

All that has happened is that your e-mail address has been harvested from somewhere else in the great beyond; either somebody you have sent an e-mail to, or from a compromised web server.

btw, it is extremely easy to falsify the field of an SMTP message, all you need to do to start a message is to TELNET to port 25 on a mailserver from a command prompt, and enter a few text commands. Unless the server is securely configured, and most ISP servers are not, it will quite willingly accept mail that seems to come from itself.

I get this issue, on my Gmail account! They all go in my spam folder but it is a bit odd to open the folder and see me as the sender. When I hover my cursor over the me it actually shows nothing. Normally it would show the actual mail address.

It's not ****ing me off but I just thought I'd add what little info I have to the debate.

Blimey, that's a turn up. Of course, if it ever did bother you, you could always save the important stuff, and just start a new g-mail in another name.