Food/Drink missed from other Countries

Johnny Shearer

I recently came back from a holiday in Canada but in that short time I got addicted to Ranch Dressing and Root Beer.

Do people have food/drink they've had elsewhere but is difficult to get hold of here?

I have managed to find Milo though - great chocolate drink, big in Asia and available at Yau Bros!

Vanilla fluff from Majorca. It was some sort of angel delight type pudding. I wasn't pleased when they changed it to coffee flavour one night but it stayed the same colour so I ended up with a huge plate of inedible pudding. mmmmm i think i'm going to have angel delight for pudding tonight.

Lifesavers from the states (parents are back from NY in 3 weeks so I'll get my fix)

Currywurst from the SBahn in Marienplatz before a Bayern game, and come to that the Gluhwine they serve on match days when its freezing cold.

Kefalonian meat pie.

Swedish hardbread and Yogi's (which they started selling here, then stopped again)

Belgian horsemeat steaks.

(i would say Belgian waffles but there is now a belgian waffle stand in Eastleigh on Saturdays that is as good as the real thing)

Lifesavers from the states (parents are back from NY in 3 weeks so I'll get my fix)

Currywurst from the SBahn in Marienplatz before a Bayern game, and come to that the Gluhwine they serve on match days when its freezing cold.

Kefalonian meat pie.

Swedish hardbread and Yogi's (which they started selling here, then stopped again)

Belgian horsemeat steaks.

(i would say Belgian waffles but there is now a belgian waffle stand in Eastleigh on Saturdays that is as good as the real thing)

Aaaah! The Glewhein, the River Inn at Bishy used to sell that.

Aaaah! The Glewhein, the River Inn at Bishy used to sell that.

The River Inn used to sell Belgian Horsemeat steaks? What did they call them on the menu?

;)

There are sooo many foods that I miss over here:

sausages, bacon, sausage rolls, scotch eggs, custard tarts, etc, etc, etc.

I am sooo looking forward to my trip over there next month!!!

But, at least I can get Mountain Dew here in my local supermarket! :)

Funnel cakes at Disney. It is basically doughnut mix squirted into the oil and so it makes a web of doughnut and then is sprinkled with icing sugar, or fruit.

Had those at a water park in Galveston, lovely.

Also Mojo Sauce from The Canaries and garlic mushrooms from there also, served in a clay bowl still sizzling.

Baj - aren't Lifesavers just giant polo's?

Funnel cakes at Disney. It is basically doughnut mix squirted into the oil and so it makes a web of doughnut and then is sprinkled with icing sugar, or fruit.

I LOVE YOU!!!!

I was going to post this but unsure of the name I was going to describe how they made it, hoping someone would be able to help me!

I have been trying (ok not that hard) to find out what this stuff was. I had it at Disney when I was about 13 and havent had it since. I loved it!

Cheers Nick!

I recently came back from a holiday in Canada but in that short time I got addicted to Ranch Dressing and Root Beer.

Do people have food/drink they've had elsewhere but is difficult to get hold of here?

I have managed to find Milo though - great chocolate drink, big in Asia and available at Yau Bros!

The other way around for me. I've just moved to Germany and these sick b*stards don't have Jaffa Cakes. :(

Nothing in particular (although maybe the Mici) but I really miss the abundance of cheap, good quality restaurants that I had in Bucharest. Eating out was nearly as cheap as eating in and I could get a taxi anywhere in town for a couple of quid.

Eating out in London is just so overly expensive.

Arby burgers from Canada. They opened a franchise in West Quay when it first opened but the extra couple of quid over the price of a MacMeal was obviously enough to put people off and it closed down after a year. :mad:

Mojo Sauce from The Canaries

My girlfriend tried making some after we got back. It tasted ok but difficult to get the right texture. She found the recipe through Google.

Arby burgers from Canada. They opened a franchise in West Quay when it first opened but the extra couple of quid over the price of a MacMeal was obviously enough to put people off and it closed down after a year. :mad: QUOTE]

Damn, thats just clicked for me. Now that is a shame and I shall go and cry. Sod it, I think I'll move to Canada when I've qualified! :eek:

Pea fritter's are very rare up north :-(

And in certain parts of Kent. I once asked for a pea fritter in a chip shop in Rainham, and they looked at me as if I was mad. They'ed never even heard of a pea fritter..! In Newcastle I had a choice of peas.

Things I miss are Greek tomatoes, NZ mutton joints, although you can get reasonable mutton joint in International Stores in Mount Pleasant.

Basically, most of the local market vegetables from the Med' region are unbeatable.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Iskender kebabs in Turkey, along with some of their meze such as red rice, green beans in tomato, stuffed vine leaves and toasted pine nuts.

Picking Papaya straight from the tree, similarly, fresh green coconut milk in Asia

Eisbein with kartoffelenpuree and sauerkraut in Germany, French Fries and satay sauce in Holland,

Savoury muffins and Hokey Pokey ice cream in NZ. Oh and trying to crack open the Macadamia nuts straight off the tree...:D

Someone told me that McDonalds used to do Root Beer years ago is this true?!

Yeah, that's true. They had it when I worked (crappy college job for about 6 months) at the one that used to be in the above bar precinct about 18 years ago.

I live in US now and Root Beer is everywhere :vom:, to me it tastes like the old pink Germaline (if that's how it was spelt) cream used for grazes and stuff used to smell.

From over here I really miss proper fish and chips from a chippy. Oh and decent beer, bread, curry and drinks made with sugar instead of corn syrup.