Gaza

Dog

Some Palestinian woman and her fellow cohorts button-holed me outside Waitrose on Saturday. They had set up a stall and were handing out leaflets urging me to boycott Israeli products. They were shouting and stamping their feet and wailing against the Great Evil Jews. I was in a particularly grumpy mood so I turned to her and shouted back "how many Israeli civilians have been killed over the years by Hamas rockets?". She said none because Hamas was a peaceful organization. I just laughed in her face. What gets right up my nose - and I am not Jewish - is that people are very quick to condemn Israel but conveniently forget that it was Hamas who just broke the ceasefire, and Hamas (which is a terrorist outfit) who deliberately targets Israeli civilians. Sure the Israeli war planes have killed more Palestinians but the difference is that when Israel launches attacks it does so to defend itself and makes a point of NOT targeting civilians. Sure there are civilian casualties, and 1 is too many, but I will not waste a single tear for the terrorist scum in Hamas - or their Iranian quatermasters.

Let's hope that 2009 sees Hamas realise that if they want peace they had better stop shooting rockets at Israel. That is my prayer at least.

Yeah, agree with most of the above. I know Israel has gone in hard but if there were no rockets being fired by Hamas from Gaza there would be no issue. Sorry for all those innocents killed of course. The Hamas manifesto calls for the eradication of Israel as a state of course too.

Ultimately they have to get along as they share a land historically. Israel has given up much land in the last few years to Palestinian rule so it's difficult to sympathise further. Apart from the provocactive settlements in the West Bank.

Meh... happy new year to them all!

Edited by TopGun

Was in Southampton yesterday and there was a demo outside WestQuay about the Israeli attack on Palestine but I just thought that the current stuff was caused by Hammas sending missiles into Israel and breaking the ceasefire. Am I wrong? Israel is not going to be "Driven into the sea". If you live next door to a lion you do not poke it with a stick. These people (all of them) need to accept that things are what they are. and live in peace. Then again I am a child of the 60`s! Perhaps I am naive!

Israel continue to illegally occupy Palestinian territory and also contravene International Humanitarian Law in respect of the land it is occupying and the manner in which it is targetting civilians in Gaza.

Would you not expect Hamas to retaliate against Israel in an attempt, futile as it may be, to win back land that is lagally and historically theirs. Land that is recognised by International Law and the UN Security Council. If your land was taken illegally and aggressively would you not try and get it back ?

Israel will get away with this because it is inextricably linked with the United States, there are far too many high ranking Jews in the USA brokering all manner of deals between their Countries, including Military Aid of $3 Billion a year.

They should be forcibly removed from land that belongs to Palestine, without that their will never be peace in the region.

Israel continue to illegally occupy Palestinian territory and also contravene International Humanitarian Law in respect of the land it is occupying and the manner in which it is targetting civilians in Gaza.

Would you not expect Hamas to retaliate against Israel in an attempt, futile as it may be, to win back land that is lagally and historically theirs. Land that is recognised by International Law and the UN Security Council. If your land was taken illegally and aggressively would you not try and get it back ?

Israel will get away with this because it is inextricably linked with the United States, there are far too many high ranking Jews in the USA brokering all manner of deals between their Countries, including Military Aid of $3 Billion a year.

They should be forcibly removed from land that belongs to Palestine, without that their will never be peace in the region.

why dont they just aim theitr rockets at government and military targets?

and not houses like they do....

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
why don't they just aim their rockets at government and military targets?

Because that way they cause terror among the populace which in turn is intended to force the government's hand.

That is the basis of terrorism, and Hamas are therefore, by definition, terrorists.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on which way you view it, it never works. Especially with the Israelis whose own nationalism is as rabid as anyone on the planet.

why dont they just aim theitr rockets at government and military targets?

And their rockets are just light it, aim and watch it go basically. A big firework.

DSM is right. A lot of the rockets get fired from residential Gaza areas as they know that retaliation will kill civilians and up their cause. It's a bad way to go.

Why is this in the Muppet?

Edited by TopGun

Was in Southampton yesterday and there was a demo outside WestQuay about the Israeli attack on Palestine but I just thought that the current stuff was caused by Hammas sending missiles into Israel and breaking the ceasefire. Am I wrong? Israel is not going to be "Driven into the sea". If you live next door to a lion you do not poke it with a stick. These people (all of them) need to accept that things are what they are. and live in peace. Then again I am a child of the 60`s! Perhaps I am naive!

Utopian in your outlook maybe ( a bit like me) but not naive enough to think that Israel will not retaliate.

Something which the Iranians should bear in mind.

Same sheite, different year!

One man's 'terrorist' is another man's 'freedom fighter':

Menachim Begin took part in terrorist acts in the 1940s, including the attack on the King David Hotel which killed 91 people.

Yitzhak Shamir was the operations commander, and later leader, of the Stern Gang, a terrorist group which was responsible for a string of political assassinations.

Ariel Sharon initiated the Sabra-Shatila massacre in which between 1000 and 3000 people (mostly Palestinians) were killed.

Utopian in your outlook maybe ( a bit like me) but not naive enough to think that Israel will not retaliate.

Something which the Iranians should bear in mind.

Same sheite, different year!

Israel has had outside military assistance for the 1949 war, six days war, yom kippur, 1982 intifada and everything between and since. Not necessarily wrong though. What would have happened otherwise?

They also happen to be a lot more organised than the usual disparate and self-serving bunch of neighbouring states or militias that they face.

Edited by TopGun

Hamas are firing glorified fireworks into into Israeli occupied Palestine and have killed about 10 settlers in the last five years.Meanwhile Israel are using state of the art Jets and Attack helicopters to bomb the ****e out of civilians including a group of kids waiting for a bus to school.Hardly 50/50 is it ?

Hamas are firing glorified fireworks into into Israeli occupied Palestine and have killed about 10 settlers in the last five years.Meanwhile Israel are using state of the art Jets and Attack helicopters to bomb the ****e out of civilians including a group of kids waiting for a bus to school.Hardly 50/50 is it ?

hmmm

nice choice of words

"glorified fireworks"...lol..do they make pretty patterns in the sky too..?

why does it have to be 50/50...?

They are as bad as each other. I know that it is simplistic but they both have to have regard for each others right to exist. Continual talk of "driving the Israelis into the sea" is not only unhelpful - it is plainly never going to happen. The size of missiles is irrelevant. Both large and small are designed to kill.

The land doesn't belong to Palestine as they took it from someone else....

There is a myth hanging over all discussion of the Palestinian problem: the myth that this land was "Arab" land taken from its native inhabitants by invading Jews.

Whatever may be the correct solution to the problems of the Middle East, let's get a few things straight:

§ As a strictly legal matter, the Jews didn't take Palestine from the Arabs; they took it from the British, who exercised sovereign authority in Palestine under a League of Nations mandate for thirty years prior to Israel's declaration of independence in 1948. And the British don't want it back.

§ If you consider the British illegitimate usurpers, fine. In that case, this territory is not Arab land but Turkish land, a province of the Ottoman Empire for hundreds of years until the British wrested it from them during the Great War in 1917. And the Turks don't want it back.

§ If you look back earlier in history than the Ottoman Turks, who took over Palestine over in 1517, you find it under the sovereignty of the yet another empire not indigenous to Palestine: the Mamluks, who were Turkish and Circassian slave-soldiers headquartered in Egypt. And the Mamluks don't even exist any more, so they can't want it back.

So, going back 800 years, there's no particularly clear chain of title that makes Israel's title to the land inferior to that of any of the previous owners. Who were, continuing backward:

§ The Mamluks, already mentioned, who in 1250 took Palestine over from:

§ The Ayyubi dynasty, the descendants of Saladin, the Kurdish Muslim leader who in 1187 took Jerusalem and most of Palestine from:

§ The European Christian Crusaders, who in 1099 conquered Palestine from:

§ The Seljuk Turks, who ruled Palestine in the name of:

§ The Abbasid Caliphate of Baghdad, which in 750 took over the sovereignty of the entire Near East from:

§ The Umayyad Caliphate of Damascus, which in 661 inherited control of the Islamic lands from

§ The Arabs of Arabia, who in the first flush of Islamic expansion conquered Palestine in 638 from:

§ The Byzantines, who (nice people—perhaps it should go to them?) didn't conquer the Levant, but, upon the division of the Roman Empire in 395, inherited Palestine from:

§ The Romans, who in 63 B.C. took it over from:

§ The last Jewish kingdom, which during the Maccabean rebellion from 168 to 140 B.C. won control of the land from:

§ The Hellenistic Greeks, who under Alexander the Great in 333 B.C. conquered the Near East from:

§ The Persian empire, which under Cyrus the Great in 639 B.C. freed Jerusalem and Judah from:

§ The Babylonian empire, which under Nebuchadnezzar in 586 B.C. took Jerusalem and Judah from:

§ The Jews, meaning the people of the Kingdom of Judah, who, in their earlier incarnation as the Israelites, seized the land in the 12th and 13th centuries B.C. from:

§ The Canaanites, who had inhabited the land for thousands of years before they were dispossessed by the Israelites.

The land doesn't belong to Palestine as they took it from someone else....

There is a myth hanging over all discussion of the Palestinian problem: the myth that this land was "Arab" land taken from its native inhabitants by invading Jews.

Whatever may be the correct solution to the problems of the Middle East, let's get a few things straight:

§ As a strictly legal matter, the Jews didn't take Palestine from the Arabs; they took it from the British, who exercised sovereign authority in Palestine under a League of Nations mandate for thirty years prior to Israel's declaration of independence in 1948. And the British don't want it back.

§ If you consider the British illegitimate usurpers, fine. In that case, this territory is not Arab land but Turkish land, a province of the Ottoman Empire for hundreds of years until the British wrested it from them during the Great War in 1917. And the Turks don't want it back.

§ If you look back earlier in history than the Ottoman Turks, who took over Palestine over in 1517, you find it under the sovereignty of the yet another empire not indigenous to Palestine: the Mamluks, who were Turkish and Circassian slave-soldiers headquartered in Egypt. And the Mamluks don't even exist any more, so they can't want it back.

So, going back 800 years, there's no particularly clear chain of title that makes Israel's title to the land inferior to that of any of the previous owners. Who were, continuing backward:

§ The Mamluks, already mentioned, who in 1250 took Palestine over from:

§ The Ayyubi dynasty, the descendants of Saladin, the Kurdish Muslim leader who in 1187 took Jerusalem and most of Palestine from:

§ The European Christian Crusaders, who in 1099 conquered Palestine from:

§ The Seljuk Turks, who ruled Palestine in the name of:

§ The Abbasid Caliphate of Baghdad, which in 750 took over the sovereignty of the entire Near East from:

§ The Umayyad Caliphate of Damascus, which in 661 inherited control of the Islamic lands from

§ The Arabs of Arabia, who in the first flush of Islamic expansion conquered Palestine in 638 from:

§ The Byzantines, who (nice people—perhaps it should go to them?) didn't conquer the Levant, but, upon the division of the Roman Empire in 395, inherited Palestine from:

§ The Romans, who in 63 B.C. took it over from:

§ The last Jewish kingdom, which during the Maccabean rebellion from 168 to 140 B.C. won control of the land from:

§ The Hellenistic Greeks, who under Alexander the Great in 333 B.C. conquered the Near East from:

§ The Persian empire, which under Cyrus the Great in 639 B.C. freed Jerusalem and Judah from:

§ The Babylonian empire, which under Nebuchadnezzar in 586 B.C. took Jerusalem and Judah from:

§ The Jews, meaning the people of the Kingdom of Judah, who, in their earlier incarnation as the Israelites, seized the land in the 12th and 13th centuries B.C. from:

§ The Canaanites, who had inhabited the land for thousands of years before they were dispossessed by the Israelites.

Um, Yeah. My point exactly.

I think people should avoid seeing this as good vs bad. Its clear that the Israel government don't care how many civilians they kill as long as they can kill a few Hamas top brass and look good to the Israel electorate. Its also pretty clear that Hamas are pursuing a futile and ineffective campaign. Both sides are just playing to their power base. The only way this can be resolved is for the major powers to impose some sort of political solution (obviously a massive undertaking granted) but there isn't the will for this to happen.

Saw the vile Israeli Foreign Minister, Tzipi Lipni, on the news earlier saying that there is no need for a ceasefire as there is no humanitarian crisis in the Gaza strip. Bit strange that the International Red Cross are saying that the hospitals are overwhelmed and unable to cope with casualties.

Israel telling lies ? Surely not - C*nts.

Some senior Hamas feller killed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7807124.stm

Peaceful guy, advocating suicide attacks against Israel.

Clearly he met his heaven a bit before the brainwashed kids who he wanted to carry his bombs.

Was it just me who noticed that this chap seemed to live in an awfully big house?

So man in big house tells the poor under-privileged kids how to run their short lives and become suicide bombers.......

As for the rest of it. Hezbollah don't seem to have the same amount of problems in the "other part" of Palestine. What the Israeli's are doing is VERY not right, but as others have said, when living next to Lion, don't poke it with a stick, but WHY are they doing the poking still?

Oh and where did Hamas come from? Yep they got ELECTED!

So in REALITY it is actually the fault of those who insisted that the ME region held ELECTIONS and had DEMOCRACY, because they demanded elections, the public elected Hamas. Nice work guys, leave this place the fook alone the lot of you.

Of course, no mention in the press as to who pulls the puppet strings of Hamas and are equally responsible for the loss of lives..... Iranians, Syrians and the Yanks all having a dig at each other by proxy and poor bl**dy civilians get killed AS USUAL

Saw the vile Israeli Foreign Minister, Tzipi Lipni, on the news earlier saying that there is no need for a ceasefire as there is no humanitarian crisis in the Gaza strip. Bit strange that the International Red Cross are saying that the hospitals are overwhelmed and unable to cope with casualties.

Israel telling lies ? Surely not - C*nts.

Maybe Hamas could of helped with the situation in the first place, just a thought.

why does it have to be 50/50...?

Exactly. Can you imagine id D-Day had been fought under the "50-50 rule". Our lads storm the beaches and kill five jerries. Then a bloke with a Referee's shirt on and a megaphone shouts towards the Germans: "Ok, you can now kill up to 5 British." Crazy...

War is fought to win. Israel is at war with Hamas. Why should they give a rats arse about how many of the enemy they kill? The job is to destroy them so that they stop firing rockets at Israeli civilians.

QUOTE=dubai_phil;151263] Was it just me who noticed that this chap seemed to live in an awfully big house?

So man in big house tells the poor under-privileged kids how to run their short lives and become suicide bombers.......

What the Israeli's are doing is VERY not right, but as others have said, when living next to Lion, don't poke it with a stick, but WHY are they doing the poking still?

2 Things here Phil.

1. He knew his house was about to be missiled and chose to stay there with his family and die a martyr. Not very smart, and a tad selfish too some might say but no double standards as you suggest.

and 2. Don't poke the Lion ! Please don't forget that Israel is ILLEGALLY occupying Palestinian land. In World War 2 do you think that the French Resistance should have lived alongside their Lion too or was that somehow different ?

QUOTE=dubai_phil;151263] Was it just me who noticed that this chap seemed to live in an awfully big house?

What the Israeli's are doing is VERY not right, but as others have said, when living next to Lion, don't poke it with a stick, but WHY are they doing the poking still?

2 Things here Phil.

1. He knew his house was about to be missiled and chose to stay there with his family and die a martyr. Not very smart, and a tad selfish too some might say but no double standards as you suggest.

and 2. Don't poke the Lion ! Please don't forget that Israel is ILLEGALLY occupying Palestinian land. In World War 2 do you think that the French Resistance should have lived alongside their Lion too or was that somehow different ?

Come and live down here and you see the proper side of the whole story, not the neo-con US version, although the UK version is slightly more balanced.

The two state solution is the way to go, but it won't as long as the Israeli's have the support of you know who to keep taking the p*ss and the factions in Palestine have the support of (mainly) the Iranians who like nothing better than to keep stirring things up.

The mess is tragic, but it keeps being stirred by idiots from outside. One day it will all blow up in our faces

Is it mere coincidence that there is an election coming up in Israel?

Not at all. Israel has a history of this.

Recently 2 Israeli MP's brought this up in the Knesset suggesting it was "Bodies for Votes " and "Profit from Palestinian blood " - both MP's were expelled. What a great advert for Democracy that is.

It is also no coincidence that USA are at a changeover of President. Neither of them can comment they. This is because Bush doesn't want to upset Obama and Obama doesn't want to upset Bush and has nothing to do with Jews running both Countries and Israel being employed as the USA's watchdog in the Middle East.

Not at all. Israel has a history of this.

Recently 2 Israeli MP's brought this up in the Knesset suggesting it was "Bodies for Votes " and "Profit from Palestinian blood " - both MP's were expelled. What a great advert for Democracy that is.

It is also no coincidence that USA are at a changeover of President. Neither of them can comment they. This is because Bush doesn't want to upset Obama and Obama doesn't want to upset Bush and has nothing to do with Jews running both Countries and Israel being employed as the USA's watchdog in the Middle East.

it is not a coincidence that hamas started lobbing rockets over this time round as they themselves have been out of the news in the west for so long....in their eyes, our media have not given their cause enough attention in recent weeks/months as for once we have had our own issues to worry about..

now, im sure you will rubbish that claim but that is fine...I just dont get it with some people (likke george galloway) who are so inclined to hate everything isreal and happily speak out against them, the USA and indeed the UK (to whom provide his freedom/free speaking platform)..yet seems to want to defend terrorists.

pretty odd if you ask me..

(im not saying isreal are in the right...just that there are two side here)

Israel has never paid back to the USA any of its so called "loans" for buying weapon systems etc.

Israel has amazing numbers of dual citizens within the US in very strong positions of "influence"

Israel controled companies have also provided the software for lots of computer systems that the US uses

for all kinds of applications up to and including the very crucial ones used by the US military.

I am not alone by a long chalk in finding that very worrying, Israel covertly controls the US not the other way around.

Regardless of 'blame', innocent people are being killed and that's wrong.

I can't be the only one who was upset by those pictures of injured and dead children?

Is it mere coincidence that there is an election coming up in Israel?

Sentiment. Why the **** should we be upset about pictures on television? So what if they are children? They're not my children and I would hazard a guess that they ain't your children either. With all the **** in the world a the moment and the state of our own country I have quite enough worrying about how i will be paying the bills in two months time when the work runs out and the landlord want his rent. As far as I am concerned our country spends too much time - and 'aid' money - thinking about other countries and not enough time and energy sorting out our own problems. That said, if some rag-headed wild eyed muslim-fanatic kept on firing missiles at my house I would want the RAF to go and bomb the **** out of him too.

Sentiment. Why the **** should we be upset about pictures on television? So what if they are children? They're not my children and I would hazard a guess that they ain't your children either. With all the **** in the world a the moment and the state of our own country I have quite enough worrying about how i will be paying the bills in two months time when the work runs out and the landlord want his rent. As far as I am concerned our country spends too much time - and 'aid' money - thinking about other countries and not enough time and energy sorting out our own problems. That said, if some rag-headed wild eyed muslim-fanatic kept on firing missiles at my house I would want the RAF to go and bomb the **** out of him too.

agree with that...

What if some Jews stole your land and occupied it ? Would you want a Resistance movement to fire missiles at them or would you just leave it and do nothing.

Unfortunately it would appear that your knowledge of the crisis is limited to the last 7 days.

Actually it's just limited.

What if some Jews stole your land and occupied it ? Would you want a Resistance movement to fire missiles at them or would you just leave it and do nothing.

Unfortunately it would appear that your knowledge of the crisis is limited to the last 7 days.

Actually it's just limited.

is it there land though..?

who did they "obtain" it from..?

You've summed yourself up far better than I ever could.

That's why you're an inward looking, heartless supporter of the raving right and I'm a soft-hearted, caring supporter of the lovable left.

You only care about yourself - I sympathise with the suffering of others.

You've summed yourself up far better than I ever could.

That's why you're an inward looking, heartless supporter of the raving right and I'm a soft-hearted, caring supporter of the lovable left.

You only care about yourself - I sympathise with the suffering of others.

so...i assume you care about the innocent israelis who have been attacked with rockets too then?

so...i assume you care about the innocent israelis who have been attacked with rockets too then?

Yes I do care about all 5 of them.

I care about any innocent person killed in the name of a war they have no control over or democratic choice over (poor English there - sorry).

Which is why I said "Regardless of 'blame', innocent people are being killed and that's wrong."

Edited by bridge too far

Yes I do care about all 5 of them.

I care about any innocent person killed in the name of a war they have no control over or democratic choice over (poor English there - sorry).

Which is why I said "Regardless of 'blame', innocent people are being killed and that's wrong."

all 5 of them...so, you are limiting it to this little skirmish...you almost seems half hearted about your sorrow for "all 5 of them"....im infact thinking you are reluctantly feeling sorry for them as you feel you have to after the stance you make....

all 5 of them...so, you are limiting it to this little skirmish...you almost seems half hearted about your sorrow for "all 5 of them"....im infact thinking you are reluctantly feeling sorry for them as you feel you have to after the stance you make....

Bother to read my post eh?

Regardless of 'blame', innocent people are being killed and that's wrong.