Didn't there used to be games on New years day?

Baj

too close to saturday and the normal FA cup weekend i guess?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.Have to say this break from tradition annoys me,just as the Christmas fixtures, on Boxing Day and then the Sunday, 28th.In the good old days I'm sure they'd have played a second fixture on the Saturday.

Worse still is Easter.In the 60's and 70's it was Good Friday,Saturday and then Easter Monday.In the 1970's second division Saints were likely to have fixtures against Plymouth,a punch up with one of the Bristol clubs,and Oxford Utd or Cardiff thrown in for good measure.

Three games in four days,them were the days.Tell that to the kids (and namby-pamby players) nowadays and they don't believe you.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.Have to say this break from tradition annoys me,just as the Christmas fixtures, on Boxing Day and then the Sunday, 28th.In the good old days I'm sure they'd have played a second fixture on the Saturday.

Worse still is Easter.In the 60's and 70's it was Good Friday,Saturday and then Easter Monday.In the 1970's second division Saints were likely to have fixtures against Plymouth,a punch up with one of the Bristol clubs,and Oxford Utd or Cardiff thrown in for good measure.

Three games in four days,them were the days.Tell that to the kids (and namby-pamby players) nowadays and they don't believe you.

That's right, and the normal Easter would see a Home and away fixture against the same team. If I remember correctly,1976 was Plymouth A on the Friday, Bristol Rovers A on the Saturday and Bristol Rovers H on the Monday.

When the fixtures came out at the start of the season there was a bit article on the OS about how they work out the fixtures etc etc and there was a question about why no games on New Years Day and it was to do with the FA cup falling so close to 1st Jan. Normally Fa cup is 6th 7th 8th Jan. It is a one off and there will be New Years day fixtures next year.

When the fixtures came out at the start of the season there was a bit article on the OS about how they work out the fixtures etc etc and there was a question about why no games on New Years Day and it was to do with the FA cup falling so close to 1st Jan. Normally Fa cup is 6th 7th 8th Jan. It is a one off and there will be New Years day fixtures next year.

I distinctly remember that in 1976 we played Villa at home on Jan 3rd.

So have these dates you mentioned been the standard for long?

That's right, and the normal Easter would see a Home and away fixture against the same team. If I remember correctly,1976 was Plymouth A on the Friday, Bristol Rovers A on the Saturday and Bristol Rovers H on the Monday.

when players were men and did not need rests, neither did the fans

ESB,

Just read your posts and was intrigued by them.My recollections about easter 1976 have been confirmed by reference to ITN,but I would not have known the date of the Villa game.

The Monday was Oxford at The Dell.This is a vivid recollection for me as it was the fixture a dog ran onto the pitch in the second half,and Channon at one point had to take the ball round the dog after beating their defender.

Everyone was in high spirits with the cup final only a couple of weeks away and amused by the dog episode until someone pointed out " it wouldn't be so bloody funny if he tripped over the dog and missed the cup final though would it ?"

Villa was 3rd Jan.Interestingly, we played fixtures on 26th,and27th December that year but not on 1st Jan...although it might have been postponed of course!

No.the 1976 game at Easter was at home to Plymouth on a Good Friday if my memory serves me well and we tonked them 4-1 and David Peach scored a cracking goal from outside the box cause I had a brilliant view of it from the Archers,and then away to Bristol Rovers the next day.

I can't remember the time the Plymouth game kicked off..anyone know,it was either 11:30am or it could have even been 10:30am

Oh happy days.

The FA cup always falls on the first weekend of January which means some years the date will be close to new years day, in fact new years day falls on a Saturday in 2011 and the following year (2012) 7th.

No.the 1976 game at Easter was at home to Plymouth on a Good Friday if my memory serves me well and we tonked them 4-1 and David Peach scored a cracking goal from outside the box cause I had a brilliant view of it from the Archers,and then away to Bristol Rovers the next day.

I can't remember the time the Plymouth game kicked off..anyone know,it was either 11:30am or it could have even been 10:30am

Oh happy days.

the plymouth game was 11.30. First train from salisbury got in about 11 am.

The same year as the plymouth game we won 3 2 at Rovers on the saturday, and 3 2 home to cardiff on the monday.

I was at all 3. happy days.

I went to Dorchester vs Bath City yesterday, and it was a pretty entertaining encounter I have to say. Just because the top leagues aren't on doesn't mean there is no football.

Agreed, Windsor went top of the league with a 2-0 win against Uxbridge.

The Royals are going UP!!!

I went to Dorchester vs Bath City yesterday, and it was a pretty entertaining encounter I have to say. Just because the top leagues aren't on doesn't mean there is no football.

Agreed, Windsor went top of the league with a 2-0 win against Uxbridge.

The Royals are going UP!!!

Leamington's game was postponed yesterday but they are still top of the pile by 11 points. Come on the Brakes!!