World's tallest building nears completion

Master Bates

85095d1218925746-funny-strange-random-pics-1218919997221.jpg

The Burj Dubai tower, the tallest skyscraper in the world, is about to be completed. To celebrate it, David Hobcote has taken a series of amazing high resolution pictures from the air which give an exact impression of the breathtaking, massive scale of this building. Inside, it looks like a set from Blade Runner or the interior of the Death Star.

More pics here:

http://gizmodo.com/5038788/tallest-skyscraper-in-the-world-almost-completed-defies-belief

Amazing building, I can't believe anyone can build that high! Having said that, work is not far enough getting underway on an EVEN taller building in Dubai. This building is not far off of being twice the height of the Empire State Building, which is enormous and it makes Canary Wharf look like a toy.

How the hell do the cranes get bits of metal/concrete etc up that high?

I was thinking how it would feel sitting in the cabin of the crane doing the lifting work. I know they're fixed on but, imagine getting the load off balance and eventually toppling off the building..? Makes my toes curl.

I was thinking how it would feel sitting in the cabin of the crane doing the lifting work. I know they're fixed on but, imagine getting the load off balance and eventually toppling off the building..? Makes my toes curl.

I know, like that theme park on top of the sky scrapers in Vegas - I would be terrified to go on those rides!

There were supposed to be a couple of tall (though not that tall), buildings going up in London. It was a pet project of Ken Livingstone though, so i'm not sure what will happen now Boris is in charge.

Edited by Scummer

I know, like that theme park on top of the sky scrapers in Vegas - I would be terrified to go on those rides!

Was watching a recorded episode of the recently repeated series, Long Way Round. It was during the lads crossing of the USA, and they ended up at an amusement park where there was an extremely high swinging ride. Ewan McGregor sat in a seat along with one of the series cameramen. They had their ride filmed by the stock facility offered by the park. There was no acting here; you could see the barely contained terror in McGregor's body. He was almost stiff with it, but he reached out to hold the cameraman's arm for reassurance. Certainly not the behaviour of a Star Wars hero character, but I couldn't help but sympathise as I giggled. The next day he proclaimed he would never, ever do something so frightening again. And he found comfort in the relative safety of his motorcycle.

There were supposed to be a couple of tall (though not that tall, buildings going up in London. It was a pet project of Ken Livingstone though, so i'm not sure what will happen now Boris is in charge.

There are a few new very tall buildings going to be put up in the old City district, near to the Cucumber, Marrow, Zukini, Courgette that vegetable named building [someone put me out of my misery here].

Gerkin..! ;)

Was watching a recorded episode of the recently repeated series, Long Way Round. It was during the lads crossing of the USA, and they ended up at an amusement park where there was an extremely high swinging ride. Ewan McGregor sat in a seat along with one of the series cameramen. They had their ride filmed by the stock facility offered by the park. There was no acting here; you could see the barely contained terror in McGregor's body. He was almost stiff with it, but he reached out to hold the cameraman's arm for reassurance. Certainly not the behaviour of a Star Wars hero character, but I couldn't help but sympathise as I giggled. The next day he proclaimed he would never, ever do something so frightening again. And he found comfort in the relative safety of his motorcycle.

I thought it was Charlie and Jimmy that went on the ride cos Ewan is scared of heights, same reason only Charlie jumped by victoria falls... could be wrong tho.

It might just be me, but it looks like it slopes a little bit ?

It's the focal length of the lens on the camera taking the [top of post] photograph. Look at the other buildings. They lean in the opposite to the vertical. I'd imagine the lens is quite a wide angle type. Anything around 35mm or under will cause that kind of distortion.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Bugger that lot for a game of soldiers. I'm with St Landrew on this one, 'planes all day any day but that load of rides dreamed up by a psychotic sadist...

I'd love to go on that ride, up to the point where someone says "go on then" and i'd run away like a girl.

I've had a fear of heights since 9/11, I guess it was to do with those people throwing themselves to their deaths. I went up the Olympic tower in Munich (which I've been up lots before) in 2002 and basically freaked out when I got to the top (wasn't expecting that reaction as I'd been up it so many times) and literally ran to the lift bashing the button to get to the bottom again.

I'd love to go on that ride, up to the point where someone says "go on then" and i'd run away like a girl.

I've had a fear of heights since 9/11, I guess it was to do with those people throwing themselves to their deaths. I went up the Olympic tower in Munich (which I've been up lots before) in 2002 and basically freaked out when I got to the top (wasn't expecting that reaction as I'd been up it so many times) and literally ran to the lift bashing the button to get to the bottom again.

I'm not overly happy at heights either, but I remember going to the top of the Eiffel Tower, and my girlfriend had her face pressed into my chest and was hugging me like she'd never let go. I could see the skeletal structure getting smaller and smaller as the lift rose to the top, and my main thought was, do I trust 100 year old French engineering..?

Well I did, and the Eiffel Tower is an amazing experience, mainly because it is a tall tower, not a building, that is over 100 years old.

It's lifts that worry me, rather than the buildings themselves.

Although evidently lifts are extremely safe.

Lifts are extremely safe. It's films which have exploited our jitters about lifts. Even if the cables break, which they won't, unless sabotaged, there are brakes and secondary/tertiary safety measures to hold the lift in position.

Lifts are extremely safe. It's films which have exploited our jitters about lifts. Even if the cables break, which they won't, unless sabotaged, there are brakes and secondary/tertiary safety measures to hold the lift in position.

Exactly.

Think how many millions, literally, of lift trips there are every day.

I was just a bit surprised by how fast it seemed to be going I guess.