*Pedigree chums*

bridge too far

Did anyone see the programme on BBC last night about pedigree dogs and the dreadful suffering some of them are subjected to in the name of Crufts?

I'm not a dog owner (although we've had a couple of mutts in the past) but I found the whole in-breeding and the putting down of puppies because they don't meet certain criteria immensely upsetting.

Didn't have time to post this on TMS thread before it got closed:

So now there's a duplicate in the Lounge this is fair game for anti-dog comments?

Personally, I think dogs are smelly, dirty, embarrassing little mong-boy creep sycophants.

That said, there's no need to be cruel to them.

Didn't watch it. But I've always had a cynical opinion of professional owners inbreeding Pedigrees for shows or profit. We all know that mongrels live longer and healthier. There are 1000s of ordinary dogs and cats that are born and die without homes. There is absolutely no need for this Crufts style obsession, or having to pay for a pet. If they love their animals, why do it..? No, ultimately it's for personal recognition and profit, and always has been. The animals are just a means of achieving it.

Dog breeders (not all, I'm sure) are scum, they are only interested in the ££££. Welfare of the animals comes way down their list of priorities.

I used to know a guy who bred alsatians. He had one *****, who was no more than 4 or 5 who had given birth to so many litters of puppies that she was too weak to stand up. When I asked him what would happen to her, he flippantly replied that she'd probably have a couple more litters then he'd get rid of her (and not to a nice loving family).

Dogs are considered important enough that if they cause an accident, the owner is liable for the damages, but at the same time, they're not quite important enough to be protected from the kind of things that I imagine went on in that programme.

What was so disturbing was the changes to dogs' skeletal structures caused by inbreeding. Father / daughter, brother / sister, grandfather / granddaughter.

And the breeders didn't think there was anything wrong with that!

(We could tell 'em - we've seen what inbreeding does, down the road :D)

Poor dogs couldn't breathe properly, got spinal infections, eyes popped out - eughhhh it was horrible.

What was so disturbing was the changes to dogs' skeletal structures caused by inbreeding. Father / daughter, brother / sister, grandfather / granddaughter.

And the breeders didn't think there was anything wrong with that!

(We could tell 'em - we've seen what inbreeding does, down the road :D)

Poor dogs couldn't breathe properly, got spinal infections, eyes popped out - eughhhh it was horrible.

Yeah, they showed what a British Bull dog's skull used to look like compared to today, nasty!

Terrible what they have been aloud to get away with when it comes to breeding,especially as alot of people take the info on the kennel club sight for granted.So you can be buying from a legit breeder but still get a poor dog because of there being very few health checks if any before it's parents had a litter.

I have had 3 labs and have to say my last one is not kc registered but he looks as good as our pure bred one and is just as healthy,it's a shame more people don't go to an animal shelter to give a dog a home.

My last dog was a lab / collie cross but, apart from her paws, you'd never know she wasn't pure lab. We got her from a farm.

She was, however, prone to epileptic fits. I wondered at the time if a pure-bred lab would be even more prone. Seeing a dog actually throwing itself at cupboards and other hard objects because it was in so much pain, and fitting so badly was just awful.

I have to say, if my dog was suffering like that, I'd have it put down.

My last dog was a lab / collie cross but, apart from her paws, you'd never know she wasn't pure lab. We got her from a farm.

She was, however, prone to epileptic fits. I wondered at the time if a pure-bred lab would be even more prone. Seeing a dog actually throwing itself at cupboards and other hard objects because it was in so much pain, and fitting so badly was just awful.

I have to say, if my dog was suffering like that, I'd have it put down.

I didn't watch it on purpose, it would have upset me too much. I agree with you though, any animal of mine that was suffering would be put out of its misery.

Pro dog breeders are weird and so is the whole show that goes round it!

I have a Staffie/spaniel (supposively) cross, looks like a puppy lab with muscles of a staffie. Soft as sh1t, but acts like one too!!!

He is a lot lovelier looking than most of the breeds that they continue to make suffer, and probably a better temprement as well!!!

I agree with you about temperament, Si.

My parents had a pedigree dalmatian. She was a beautiful but absolutely crazy.

If my mother ever went out, she'd find mum's cigarettes and chew them up. Never anyone else's! She used to grin too, which was a bit disconcerting if you didn't know her.

If my dad ever smacked my brother, or even had a play fight with him, she'd go for my dad.

there really were some very disurbing people on that programme, who all thought it was quite normal and no one elses business. they need to be put down themselves, it was so upsetting

so to cheer us all up, here is a picture of my westie

jodie.jpg

That's more like it. Many years ago I had a Golden Labrador who was the most wonderful pet. When he died I knew I could never have another, especially one's verging on being lapdogs. But Westie's are such great characters. Maybe one day... or a Beagle. So, so cute. Maybe when I get my boat, so he can have a passport too.

there really were some very disurbing people on that programme, who all thought it was quite normal and no one elses business. they need to be put down themselves, it was so upsetting

so to cheer us all up, here is a picture of my westie

jodie.jpg

What a lovely girl. Heres a picture of my Greyhound Beethoven. :D

beethoven.jpg

Do pedrigee cats have the same issues?

I'm no expert on this, but I believe they do, if to a much lesser extent. I had an Exotic Shorthair pedigree cat, which I regret having bought several years ago, after being pushed into being the owner. I have since given her away to a relative who wanted her and could spend the time giving her a better home.

From day one of my ownership of her I noticed that her flattened face characteristic played havoc with her breathing, and her eyes regularly watered and sludged up. She was fine for me to clean her face once a day, but it was the breeding of this characteristic that brought on this condition. When I see her nowadays, she still has it, and still gets her eyes cleaned. It does mean occasional visits to the vet to curb eye infections. A normal tabby wouldn't suffer any of this.

EDIT: Great name for you Greyhound PES. Is he deaf..?

Edited by St Landrew

See what inbreeding produces :D

No 'normal' animal would wear that scarf!

(Just teasing - lovely dog :))

What d'you expect? he's a Pompey Dog! (Actually TBH I don't really think he even likes fooball, we made him wear that scarf) I know for a fact that plenty of the Dogs that race at Portsmouth are Saints supporters. :D

I'm no expert on this, but I believe they do, if to a much lesser extent. I had an Exotic Shorthair pedigree cat, which I regret having bought several years ago, after being pushed into being the owner. I have since given her away to a relative who wanted her and could spend the time giving her a better home.

From day one of my ownership of her I noticed that her flattened face characteristic played havoc with her breathing, and her eyes regularly watered and sludged up. She was fine for me to clean her face once a day, but it was the breeding of this characteristic that brought on this condition. When I see her nowadays, she still has it, and still gets her eyes cleaned. It does mean occasional visits to the vet to curb eye infections. A normal tabby wouldn't suffer any of this.

EDIT: Great name for you Greyhound PES. Is he deaf..?

I have 2 pedigree Bengals and have no problems at all, apart from their farts absolutely stink!

I had a Burmese called Bojangles. He was beautiful but he spent his waking hours climbing the curtains and ripping them to shreds.

We had to sell him back to the breeder though because my son had a violent allergic reaction to him. My son's eyes puffed up so much, they were virtually closed.

An adjustment, diet wise perhaps..? And maybe the odd spot of exercise. That'll stop the smelly farts.

Excercise - christ, all they do is run around, climb up doors and sit on the top of then, sit up on top of the kitchen cupboards. Believe me they get plenty of bloody excercise!

I wanted to find out my supervisor's opinion on the matter seeing as he breeds the dogs they were on about (cavaliers spaniels or something?)

All he said was "What... that f**king biased BBC program you mean?"

I'm assuming he disagreed with what the program had to say!!

He probably saw that his money-spinning opportunities would disappear after that broadcast :D

PES, isn't Greyhound racing awash with stories of abuse and cruelty too?

(He looks like a lovely little fella btw)

Thanks Errol, Yes, there are a few 'bad' people involved but on the whole it's good. The dogs enjoy the running. I always find the saddest thing is the amount of dogs that struggle to find homes on retirement. I think they have a bad rep, people say they are snappy and need loads of exercise. Neither could be further from the truth, Greyhounds need less exercise than most dogs, they are incredibly lazy. Mine getstwo 20 minute walks a day, he must sleep for 20 hours each day, he rarely barks and has NEVER displayed any aggression. I keep him on his lead at all times, it is true that Greyhounds can kill cats etc, but mine will never get the chance, not that I think he'd want too.

Greyhounds have a 27% protein kibble mix, that means their farts REALLY stink!!!!! :D

You're not wrong!! When I took my ***** home I slowly reduced the protein intake as when not racing the protein requirement drops off.

She turns 9 tomorrow and still looks race fit(ish) :D

As for breeding, I dont like to see the same parent cross until the fourth generation at least.

Thanks Errol, Yes, there are a few 'bad' people involved but on the whole it's good. The dogs enjoy the running. I always find the saddest thing is the amount of dogs that struggle to find homes on retirement. I think they have a bad rep, people say they are snappy and need loads of exercise. Neither could be further from the truth, Greyhounds need less exercise than most dogs, they are incredibly lazy. Mine getstwo 20 minute walks a day, he must sleep for 20 hours each day, he rarely barks and has NEVER displayed any aggression. I keep him on his lead at all times, it is true that Greyhounds can kill cats etc, but mine will never get the chance, not that I think he'd want too.

If anyone is considering giving an ex racer a home PM me and I will put you in contact with a well established rehoming establishment.

Greys make fantastic pets, low maintenance - 20-30 minute walks and then they sleep... and sleep... and then sleep some more. Feed them, water them and exercise them and you will have a buddy for life.

You're not wrong!! When I took my ***** home I slowly reduced the protein intake as when not racing the protein requirement drops off.

She turns 9 tomorrow and still looks race fit(ish) :D

As for breeding, I dont like to see the same parent cross until the fourth generation at least.

Brilliant! the swear filter wont let you write beeatch! I've had mine since last may, funnily enough I have just returned home from feeding the dog at lunchtime to find he's gone upstairs again (I left the stair gate open), trouble is he cant get back down so I have to carry him. Thankfully he never left us any presents upstairs this time!

No one ever told me having a dog would ruin the house, I was so naive!!! I would not swap him for the world though. :D

Brilliant! the swear filter wont let you write beeatch! I've had mine since last may, funnily enough I have just returned home from feeding the dog at lunchtime to find he's gone upstairs again (I left the stair gate open), trouble is he cant get back down so I have to carry him. Thankfully he never left us any presents upstairs this time!

No one ever told me having a dog would ruin the house, I was so naive!!! I would not swap him for the world though. :D

Does he go and sleep on your bed? My beeatch used to do that. I couldn't work out how, as she was kept in the kitchen. I watched her one morning through the kitchen window, open the the kitchen door (one paw on the worktop and the other paw on the door handle) and make her way upstairs for a kip... she got her way, the bed now gets covered and she has run of the house.

Buy her a Stannah Stair Lift.

Does he go and sleep on your bed? My beeatch used to do that. I couldn't work out how, as she was kept in the kitchen. I watched her one morning through the kitchen window, open the the kitchen door (one paw on the worktop and the other paw on the door handle) and make her way upstairs for a kip... she got her way, the bed now gets covered and she has run of the house.

No, but I only have to get up to make a cup of Tea and he jumps into my seat, then gives me the eyes when I return "Your not really gonna make me get up, are you?" I love all dogs always have, but my personal experience of greys are that they make awesome pets and I'd encourage anyone to give one of them lovely lads a home, they dont always get it right but they are so desperate to please you that you cant help but love 'em!

If as is rumoured the Portsmouth Greyhound Stadium closes soon (I hope it doesn't), there will be even more of the adorable creatures in need of a home, I've already agreed that should it close we'll take another one. :D