England

saintkiptanui

what is rooney doing playing like he does all over the place

I think you answered your own question there.

Gerrard's the only one who's looked remotely likely to create anything so far, apart from set-pieces. We're screwed if we're having to rely on free-kicks and corners to score goals.

Good to see Lampard, Terry and Rooney backing up what I said yesterday about them. Lampard has been entirely anonymous, Rooney isn't a striker and Terry got turned in the penalty area by Milan Baros, a player who hadn't scored in 24 games.

I think you answered your own question there.

Gerrard's the only one who's looked remotely likely to create anything so far, apart from set-pieces. We're screwed if we're having to rely on free-kicks and corners to score goals.

Good to see Lampard, Terry and Rooney backing up what I said yesterday about them. Lampard has been entirely anonymous, Rooney isn't a striker and Terry got turned in the penalty area by Milan Baros, a player who hadn't scored in 24 games.

thing is...Rooney NEVER gets any stick and appears to be totally untouchable...this is yet another addition to the long list of his crap games for england..

all the talk is always WHO WILL PARTNER ROONEY....

I would like then to try something else...maybe ashton with bent/owen

but rooney, jesus lets never say anything bad about him...talksport (well mike parry) are the worst for bigging him up as some sort of english pele

oh, and david james has shown again that he is a pony

thing is...Rooney NEVER gets any stick and appears to be totally untouchable...this is yet another addition to the long list of his crap games for england..

all the talk is always WHO WILL PARTNER ROONEY....

I would like then to try something else...maybe ashton with bent/owen

but rooney, jesus lets never say anything bad about him...talksport (well mike parry) are the worst for bigging him up as some sort of english pele

oh, and david james has shown again that he is a pony

Have to agree with you on this, he seems untouchable and the fact he plays for United helps his selection. Mike Parry bigs him up as Mike is an Everton fan and that is where Rooney started his career.

How about something a bit leftfield?

----------------------Kirkland------------------------

-------Carragher-----Ferdinand----Lescott------------

----------------------Barry--------------------------

Bentley--------------Gerrard-----------------Downing

----------------------Cole---------------------------

------------Agbonlahor-------Ashton-----------------

Like i said on the captain thread. These tossers are so over rated by the media etc and can't actually string a few passes together it's embarrasssing. Lampard is on 150k a week and has been ****e for England for ages now. Beckham would struggle to get in a championship side with the standard of football he is playing in the states.

Most european sides are able to take the **** out of England these days.

Just had a big debate in the pub over whether they should get paid for playing for England.

Shockingly it was 3 arguing against me that they should!!

I rate Capello as a coach a lot but he got it so wrong tonight.

1. Wes Brown is not a right back, why the feck is Micah Richards in the U21.

2. From my point above we had 3 centre backs in in defence.

3. We had 3 central midfielders playing in the middle.

4. Either Gerrard or Lampard MUST be dropped. Gerrard was supposed to be playing on the left but he was all over the pitch. Lampard was sh*t as usual & Barry was again our best midfielder.

5. Because of the above Rooney was virtually a left midfielder.

The only players worth their shirts after tonight imo are Beckham & Bentley. And as for goalkeeper, they might aswell set up trials for the general public!

4. Either Gerrard or Lampard MUST be dropped. Gerrard was supposed to be playing on the left but he was all over the pitch. Lampard was sh*t as usual & Barry was again our best midfielder.

Based on performances, Lampard is the one who should be dropped, without question. Last night, I can't remember Lampard being involved in anything at all, not even a little one-touch layoff in the centre circle, whereas at least Gerrard was trying to get things going in the first half. I turned off after an hour so missed anything that happened after that, although somehow I doubt Lampard suddenly upped his game and put in a man-of-the-match performance...

5. Because of the above Rooney was virtually a left midfielder.

Rooney plays that way even on the rare occasions we've got a balanced midfield. It wasn't anything to do with the tactics/performance last night.

Based on performances, Lampard is the one who should be dropped, without question. Last night, I can't remember Lampard being involved in anything at all, not even a little one-touch layoff in the centre circle, whereas at least Gerrard was trying to get things going in the first half. I turned off after an hour so missed anything that happened after that, although somehow I doubt Lampard suddenly upped his game and put in a man-of-the-match performance...

Rooney plays that way even on the rare occasions we've got a balanced midfield. It wasn't anything to do with the tactics/performance last night.

Agreed, it should be Lampard that is dropped.

I haven't got a problem with Rooney coming deep or drifting out wide but at times last night he was dropping back as far as the half way line. Also when he was going out wide none of the midfielders were getting up to support Defoe leaving him completely isolated and also meaning Rooney had to keep passing it backwards as he didn't have any options going forward.

This would be my team for the 2 qualifiers.

James

Richards - Terry - Rio - A Cole

Beckham - Gerrard - Barry - J Cole

Rooney - Defoe

What I don't understand is the Gareth Barry, while being a naturalised centre midfielder, started out as a left back/left midfielder. While he wouldn't be as influential, could they not try him out on the left?

Another valid point & one that i also made last night. It was just baffling that Gerrard was playing on the left whilst we had a left footed player playing in the middle.

Croatia will beat us, based on that performance. I just don't think Capello is prepared to take a risk, just like other previous managers and they revert back to the same old players who have failed previously, it's like they view it as some sort of safety net, which proves to be consistently anything but that.

Walcott should have been given a clear run last night, as should of Bentley, we have to take a calculated risk with these players as we generally underperform with the so called experienced players anyway, it may not work out, then again, it looks like another case of same old, same old.

What was the point in not playing Walcott in the U21 game if he had no real intention of playing him, it would have been better to let him play the night before than actually do nothing with him, he willhave gained nothing from this week.

I think we do have the talent and players but we have this mentality of mollycoddle and play them in ten minutes bursts here and there.

Why not do something radical, say drop Lampard and Rooney, who have been consistent failures through one thing or another, Rooney is class but he's done nothing of particular note since Euro 2004, well apart from a decent goal against Russia, then he negated that later in the game anyway, lets give others a go?

Is Capello prepared to take that risk? I doubt it , but I really think that the usual suspects will let him down again when it comes to the crunch.

What will Capello have learned from last night? Well nothing that any football fan/pundit couldn't have told him four years ago.

Capello seems to be following in the footsteps of previous failures and unless he's prepared to take a risk then history may repeat itself again.

I played 5-a-side football rather than watch that claptrap. Once I saw Lampard and Gerrard in the same team I thought what was the point?

All we have is a more expensive and foreign McClown in place.

IMO a Xmas tree would suit us......

--------------------Crouch

-------------Cole-------------Rooney

-------Barry-------Hargreaves---------Gerrard

-Cole--------Terry------------Ferdinand-----Richards

This would allow the fullbacks to get forward or the likes of Barry/Gerrard to meander forward when there is a chance.

With Cole and Rooney playing off a target man that can be change around - Bent/Agbonlahor.

Cole/Rooney have replacements in the likes of Young/Walcott and in midfield Lampard/Downing/Carrick can be used in different variations but not Lampard and Gerrard in the same line up!

Edited by Johnny Shearer

I played 5-a-side football rather than watch that claptrap. Once I saw Lampard and Gerrard in the same team I thought what was the point?

All we have is a more expensive and foreign McClown in place.

IMO a Xmas tree would suit us......

--------------------Crouch

-------------Cole-------------Rooney

-------Barry-------Hargreaves---------Gerrard

-Cole--------Terry------------Ferdinand-----Richards

This would allow the fullbacks to get forward or the likes of Barry/Gerrard to meander forward when there is a chance.

With Cole and Rooney playing off a target man that can be change around - Bent/Agbonlahor.

Cole/Rooney have replacements in the likes of Young/Walcott and in midfield Lampard/Downing/Carrick can be used in different variations but not Lampard and Gerrard in the same line up!

I like the look of that team actually.

I think half of the problem is that so many think and believe that the premiership is the "best in the world"™...when I guess it is not..

I was watching the premiership years on Sky Sports the other day and it was the 94-95 season..and richard keys was telling us then that the prem is the best in the world...

when players like rooney play well against fulham..it does not make him a world super star...sadly

I think half of the problem is that so many think and believe that the premiership is the "best in the world"™...when I guess it is not..

I was watching the premiership years on Sky Sports the other day and it was the 94-95 season..and richard keys was telling us then that the prem is the best in the world...

when players like rooney play well against fulham..it does not make him a world super star...sadly

I agree with that. Rooney is one of the most overrated players i've ever seen, and I wouldn't have him in the England team to be honest.

...Rooney is one of the most overrated players i've ever seen, and I wouldn't have him in the England team to be honest.

I would change that to the most over-hyped player. Rooney is a perfectly good player, capable of very special things. But he used to play for Everton as a creative midfielder, in the hole behind the strikers, and it's his best position. I don't know why a succession of managers don't agree. I would play him at the head of a midfield diamond, and leave Lampard out completely. Now there's an overrated player. He's had far more than a chance at being good for England. If MLT had had as much of a go, he'd be a past England legend instead of a fringe player with 8 caps.

In no terms should McClaren be compared to Capello given his record.

Yeah, I just guess frustration got the better of me. McClaren is in a league of his own when it comes rubbishness.

I'll give Capello a chance.

I still cant believe the England Board turned down the likes of Hiddink, O'Neil for the clown though.

Green

Richards Rio Terry Cole

Hargreaves

Cole Gerrard Young

Agbonlahor Crouch/Defoe/Ashton ???

IMO. Cos Lamps is gash and Rooney aint had a good game for England in 4 years!!!! Get them out, some pace on the wings. So Theo, and Bentley on the bench also. Not that bentley is fast, just think he is close to getting a shout in the side properly.

My first visit to Wembley and was impressed with the stadium, lifts not working so a lot of stairs to climb!

£7.50 for a pint and a pie pretty good value - not...but luckily enough we had eaten at Richmond as I guessed it would be dear. £2:30 for a soft drink is a joke.

If anyone goes in the future we parked at Old Deer Park at Richmond which is only a 10 minute walk to the station and pretty cheap as its stops charging after 6:30. £8 all day.

Overland train(Stratford) to Willesden Junct then Bakerloo to Wembley Central really easy.

Why can an England manager not see that Ashley Cole does not ever go passed his man on the outside? Not once in 90 minutes to he knock the ball past the defender and get deep or to the bye-line and made it easy for the Czechs to nullify us on the left by crowding that side of the midfield - we then had to do about 10 passes to work it across the pitch to the right then back again.

The Czechs moved it in 3 passes and far more quicker and incisive then we were all night.

Rooney wandered too much but when you get Gerrard(had a mare) and Lumpolard doing bugger all then its not difficult to see why.

I am a big fan of Beckham and without his delivery we are stuffed but does he have to take every corner and free-kick? a variation every now and then would make a change especially a left footer inswinging.

If Defoe is international class then so am I!!!

If Wes Brown is the best right back we have then we can kiss goodbye to the World Cup as I lost count of the number of times he got beaten by what I call 'hanging legs' at the attacker rather than tackle.

Terry was at fault for the goal as he was far too tight and let Baros turn, James was shocking and you never knew what he would do next.

The Czechs were great to watch - swift passing and movement off the ball and could open us up with 3 passes and technically light years ahead of us.

I am not advocating the long ball game but English football is built on power, passion and commitment with a bit of pace thrown in....25 passes including 12 in our own half to get the ball up to Rooney gives the opposition all the time in the world to get men back.

We are pedestrian in our play and need to up the pace and movement.

...I am not advocating the long ball game but English football is built on power, passion and commitment with a bit of pace thrown in....25 passes including 12 in our own half to get the ball up to Rooney gives the opposition all the time in the world to get men back.

We are pedestrian in our play and need to up the pace and movement.

Perhaps a certain Mr Poortvliet for manager..?