Operation Flashpoint 2

St Marco

Gamespot got a decent preview up from the Leipzig Games Convention

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/operationflashpoint2/news.html?sid=6196275&om_act=convert&om_clk=picks&tag=picks;title;3

Pretty interesting info, nice to see the mission/map editor returns also this was interesting

As we'd hoped, Operation Flashpoint 2 is as scarily realistic as its predecessor. The damage system is incredibly realistic and modelled on each individual bullet, so even if you're only shot in the arm, it will be enough to send you into shock unless you haul yourself to a medic. With such a high level of realism, we were concerned about the difficulty and how the developers would make the game accessible, especially to a console audience. The key, they say, is in the squadmate AI, which will mostly take care of itself even if you march your squad into danger

Can see a video interview with actual gameplay footage

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/operationflashpoint2/video/6196274/gc-2008-operation-flashpoint-2-first-look-interview?tag=videos;title;2

Only like 6 months to go..... :(

• 1 year later...

I managed to blag my copy of this game a little early.

I have not played it for long as been busy at the game and playing Fifa. So about an hour or so.

First thing if your a fan of the 1st one your going to love this game. In a way it feels more like a re-make then a sequel. It is not run and gun, it is a war simulator. If you walk around in the open you are probably going to lose your head pretty quick. That whole keep your ass in the grass thing is back. And this is one big difference you notice straight away, the grass looks good! The whole place looks good. It is not the best graphics i have seen on the PC but in a wierd way that is good because the game is not about graphics. But make no mistake they are excellent anyway. Another thing you notice is sound, this is really important this time around. Your ears in some instances will be like your eyes. You could be looking out across a field and hear the wind rustling in the tree's. The near by sea hitting the shore. And out of nowhere a crackle noise. Then the team radio goes "number 3 is down". You hit the deck and try to find where the firing is coming from. And this is when the graphics come into play. The enemy will have cammo on so are nearly impossible to see. You can either stay and get picked off or move and try and find a better position.

The place is huge, really huge. Like in the first one you will be spending more of your time getting from A to B. Getting to B has many different routes. It is up to you. But it will mean you spend most of your time not fighting. You get hit and your either going to die or be injured. If you get injured a medic can help you if one is in your squad. Or you can heal yourself with bandages to a certain point. It makes you realise the true nature of real war. You would not just run around, you would not be shooting from the hip etc...War is full of boring periods followed by quick skirmishes. And that is what this game does thus far.

It is a very hard game, but you thankfully get to use checkpoints now. Not like the first one where you had to save it every 10 meters you ran because you knew somewhere a sniper was gona pick you off.

So far it is a really good game. After playing games like COD it is hard to switch back into that old "your life has value" mentality. You will die alot. But it is fun, lots of fun.

As i said it feels more like a re-make then a sequel because it feels like you been here before. Which is a good thing.

I expect this game will do pretty well review wise as the sheer depth it has is amazing. Soon as you start you see a US helicopter flying over head with the mini gun firing at something. The whole sound is quality and feels life-like.

No doubt i will play it a lot when i have got time :)

Now the interesting thing is how this game reviews; it really be a make or brake. From a punter's point of view I like the sound of it; but do I need another shooter with COD6 just around the corner? I think not at the moment. Will this game be a proper FPS sim with a huge online community? If so, I buy.

I bought ARMA2 over the summer hearing that the makers of OPF had made their own title. Anyway was pretty disappointed with it, pretty glitchy and just not very fun. Big fan of OPF and have been waiting for no.2 for awhile now, so will get this to try and cure my fustrations with ARMA2.

Now the interesting thing is how this game reviews; it really be a make or brake. From a punter's point of view I like the sound of it; but do I need another shooter with COD6 just around the corner? I think not at the moment. Will this game be a proper FPS sim with a huge online community? If so, I buy.

That's how I feel as well.

With MW1 still offering such great fun and MW2 just over a month away is it going to worth buying Flashpoint?