Windows 7

thesaint sfc

Ok here is my full summary of my experiences using Windows 7 thus far:

It is f*cking brilliant! It does everything we wanted vista to do. They've copied all the great functions of Mac. It is much, much, much faster and the use of the toolbar etc has been changed so it is much easier to use for people like me who have 13.3" laptop screens.

It looks just the same as vista, but I think it's going to be really good. I'm going to be using it as my main OS (obviously on a spare hdd) for the next few days. So far so good. None of the lag that you get in vista. Everything is prompt.

Using a Dell XPS M1330 at work with a C2D 1.4ghz/2gb RAM

Ok here is my full summary of my experiences using Windows 7 thus far:

It is f*cking brilliant! It does everything we wanted vista to do. They've copied all the great functions of Mac. It is much, much, much faster and the use of the toolbar etc has been changed so it is much easier to use for people like me who have 13.3" laptop screens.

It looks just the same as vista, but I think it's going to be really good. I'm going to be using it as my main OS (obviously on a spare hdd) for the next few days. So far so good. None of the lag that you get in vista. Everything is prompt.

Using a Dell XPS M1330 at work with a C2D 1.4ghz/2gb RAM

I suppose, after Will's good comments, I'm going to give it a download. What the hell - it's free.

Yup, I would not of usually bothered but the comments make it sound worthwhile. I mean it can't be worse than Vista... Can it?

Edited by Baj
cos i rock

Just loaded on Virtual Machine.... have to say, initial impressions is it's not too dissimilar to vista... Task Bar seems a bit strange and a nice fish background!! :) Will dig deeper tomorrow as I really should leave work right about now!!!

windows_7.png

Microsoft Windows 7: Review of reviews (From The Telegraph website http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/3358965/Microsoft-Windows-7-Review-of-reviews.html ) I'll highlight the most salient points for you.

By Ben Leach

Last Updated: 12:15PM GMT 25 Nov 2008

The curtain has been raised (slightly) on the next installment of Microsoft's Windows operating system - Windows 7.

Microsoft hope it will bring the internet, mobile phone and PC closer together. But reviews have so far been mixed, although reviewers have been limited to trying the (pre-beta version).

The full version is expected to be capable of working with a touchscreen screen, navigating documents and the Web similar to Apple's iPhone. It is officially released at the end of 2009.

InfoWorld

"I have seen the future, and it is bleak. Windows 7, the next big version, the one that was supposed to fix everything that was wrong with Vista, is here (at least in pre-beta form), and I can now say - with some confidence - that Microsoft has once again dropped the ball.

"Overall, I'm extremely disappointed with Windows 7. Far from atoning for Vista's sins, Windows 7 simply carries them forward, visiting them upon yet another generation. Windows 7 is no panacea. Rather, it's just more of the same: slow, bloated, and frustrating as hell."

The Register

"When it comes to Windows 7, Microsoft hasn't just learned from the mistakes of Windows Vista. It has picked up a thing or two from Apple's OS X, judging by first impressions.

Techradar

"It's not clear how big the changes are so far. If you put the beta-build of Windows 7 side-by-side with Windows Vista, you'd be hard-pressed to spot the differences. Yes, some of the icons look slightly different and there's no sidebar, but it's essentially still the Vista look and feel. But that changes when you start to use Windows 7.

"For a start the OS won't nag you as much; many notifications are banished to a control panel, you get to approve icons before they show up in the system tray and Microsoft has reined in Vista's useful but annoying UAC prompts; you can choose which ones you want to see or turn them off altogether."

ZDNet

"Initially Windows 7 looks similar to Vista, but there a lot of new features that have been added. Under the skin, Microsoft has been working hard. Boot times have been reduced, and certainly the review laptop Microsoft provided has a fairly snappy boot time.

"Microsoft has been working with OEMs to improve battery life - simple things such as reducing the timer frequency can improve battery life by up to 10 per cent. The networking stack has had new diagnostics added to help users figure out exactly where the problem lies.

PC Magazine

"So, is this all a big deal? It's not a change to the fundamental core of Windows, and most of the improvements sound relatively small. But taken together, they seem to address many of the issues people have had for Windows. I'm looking forward to trying it out, starting this afternoon."

Hmmm I was trying to transfer some data from my current hdd with XP on to the one with Windows 7 on and it became fairly glitchy and windows explorer stopped responding lol. I think theres still quite a bit that needs sorting out, but I enjoyed using it. I found from day #1 with Vista that it was absolutely pants.

Hmmm I was trying to transfer some data from my current hdd with XP on to the one with Windows 7 on and it became fairly glitchy and windows explorer stopped responding lol. I think theres still quite a bit that needs sorting out, but I enjoyed using it. I found from day #1 with Vista that it was absolutely pants.

Had the same problem when Vista was released too... Wasn't until SP1 was released that I managed to sort this out 100%

Uh Oh.

Not even 24 hours and it's falling to pieces :rolleyes:

windows_7.png

Microsoft Windows 7: Review of reviews (From The Telegraph website http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/3358965/Microsoft-Windows-7-Review-of-reviews.html ) I'll highlight the most salient points for you.

By Ben Leach

Last Updated: 12:15PM GMT 25 Nov 2008

The curtain has been raised (slightly) on the next installment of Microsoft's Windows operating system - Windows 7.

Microsoft hope it will bring the internet, mobile phone and PC closer together. But reviews have so far been mixed, although reviewers have been limited to trying the (pre-beta version).

The full version is expected to be capable of working with a touchscreen screen, navigating documents and the Web similar to Apple's iPhone. It is officially released at the end of 2009.

InfoWorld

"I have seen the future, and it is bleak. Windows 7, the next big version, the one that was supposed to fix everything that was wrong with Vista, is here (at least in pre-beta form), and I can now say - with some confidence - that Microsoft has once again dropped the ball.

"Overall, I'm extremely disappointed with Windows 7. Far from atoning for Vista's sins, Windows 7 simply carries them forward, visiting them upon yet another generation. Windows 7 is no panacea. Rather, it's just more of the same: slow, bloated, and frustrating as hell."

The Register

"When it comes to Windows 7, Microsoft hasn't just learned from the mistakes of Windows Vista. It has picked up a thing or two from Apple's OS X, judging by first impressions.

Techradar

"It's not clear how big the changes are so far. If you put the beta-build of Windows 7 side-by-side with Windows Vista, you'd be hard-pressed to spot the differences. Yes, some of the icons look slightly different and there's no sidebar, but it's essentially still the Vista look and feel. But that changes when you start to use Windows 7.

"For a start the OS won't nag you as much; many notifications are banished to a control panel, you get to approve icons before they show up in the system tray and Microsoft has reined in Vista's useful but annoying UAC prompts; you can choose which ones you want to see or turn them off altogether."

ZDNet

"Initially Windows 7 looks similar to Vista, but there a lot of new features that have been added. Under the skin, Microsoft has been working hard. Boot times have been reduced, and certainly the review laptop Microsoft provided has a fairly snappy boot time.

"Microsoft has been working with OEMs to improve battery life - simple things such as reducing the timer frequency can improve battery life by up to 10 per cent. The networking stack has had new diagnostics added to help users figure out exactly where the problem lies.

PC Magazine

"So, is this all a big deal? It's not a change to the fundamental core of Windows, and most of the improvements sound relatively small. But taken together, they seem to address many of the issues people have had for Windows. I'm looking forward to trying it out, starting this afternoon."

I've highlighted other bits you have obviously missed.

Mmm, initial impressions are that with 1.5gb memory on board, Windows 7 is faster than Vista but the same speed as XP with 512 - 768mb. Might as well stick with WinXP, and on this initial showing, I think a lot of people will. The problem isn't with Vista or Win7, it's with XP. WinXP is good enough for most people and their purposes.

At least the DVD is good until 1st August.

I'm pretty impressed. The start bar at the bottom is taking some getting used to - it's a bit of a pain on MSN when you've got 10 people talking and you've gotta scroll around to find out who sent you a message, but generally pretty impressed. I still don't think Microsoft have done enough to make it up to its customers who purchased Vista though. I recon they should offer this to everyone who purchased Vista for free - and I think there is a lot more then should add into this operating system to reply to Mac.

I don't have any problems with Vista. What's all the fuss about?

Same here, I've just got Vista Ultimate, and it works great for me. Took a while to re-orientate myself from XP, but I think I prefer it to XP and probably use it nearly as much as Ubuntu 8.10 now.

I used Vista Ultimate for ages, then one day I decided I would install XP again. I did and haven't looked back. It's much quicker, easier, and less problematic. I've got a Dell XPS M1330 which used to often give me bluescreens when I was transfering data. The error messages related to hard drive issues. I changed the hard drive several times but still had the same problems. With XP I've never had a bluescreen. The way Vista transfers data and deals with permissions is terrible. Ever tried transfering pictures from a system running windows XP to a system using windows Vista? Don't. The permissions get so messed up that the pictures end up being unreadable. It wasn't so much Vista was a terrible OS, it's just the fact MS released it after XP. If it had been released before XP then I don't think people would be fussing. XP is just the better OS.

You use your computer for reading emails and browsing the internet.

Vista is capable of doing that. Anything else and it struggles.

Is that all I do? Not photo-manipulation, CAD, music composition and editing, film editing and playing Mahjong then?

I tried playing a few games when I had vista and it was truly horrific so I setup a dual boot with XP and they were fine. From there I installed photoshop on Vista, again found it was useless. Stuck it on my XP install - worked fine. Vista certainly looks nicer untweaked, but I'd rather just have something that works. I've tweaked Windows XP so it looks similar to this now anyway:

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20061029/royale-noir/