Premier League Darts line up confirmed

bungle

http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/PremierLeagueDetail/0,,10180~1514711,00.html

Well, there it is, the 8 players we will see week-in, week-out from Feb 5th.

I have to say, I think the inclusion of Klaasen is a joke. Sure, he's improving, but he's still 25th in the world, for crying out loud, and I don't recall him doing anything fantastic in any of the major tournaments since joining the PDC.

Robert Thornton has been in the PDC less than a year and is in the top 20 (15th I think) having started at number 132 - he is more deserving of a place. Or what about Adrian Lewis who has beaten big names on TV this year (including Barney), has played in the PL and is 7th in the world by a whisker thus just missing automatic qualification.

Am not convinced Mardle deserves to be involved either.

Oh well, I will still be watching!

I have to say, I think the inclusion of Klaasen is a joke. Sure, he's improving, but he's still 25th in the world, for crying out loud, and I don't recall him doing anything fantastic in any of the major tournaments since joining the PDC.

Robert Thornton has been in the PDC less than a year and is in the top 20 (15th I think) having started at number 132 - he is more deserving of a place. Or what about Adrian Lewis who has beaten big names on TV this year (including Barney), has played in the PL and is 7th in the world by a whisker thus just missing automatic qualification.

Have to agree, I don't think either of the wildcards deserve a chance especially Klaasen, I thought Lewis deserved another chance. I'll miss Peter Manley, the one the fans love to hate, who will they boo now? Still, looking forward to the tournament.

Have to agree, I don't think either of the wildcards deserve a chance especially Klaasen, I thought Lewis deserved another chance. I'll miss Peter Manley, the one the fans love to hate, who will they boo now? Still, looking forward to the tournament.

I agree they've picked Mardle for entertainment value and TV etc, but I just think there are more deserving players. Andy Hamilton is missing out, yet he has been one of the on form players this year, and made the Grand Slam final in 2007.

Do the PDC think Klaasen is a bigger draw than he actually is? Are they picking him because he throws quickly? Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against him, but just have no idea why he's involved in this tournament ahead of more deserving others.

I agree they've picked Mardle for entertainment value and TV etc, but I just think there are more deserving players. Andy Hamilton is missing out, yet he has been one of the on form players this year, and made the Grand Slam final in 2007.

Do the PDC think Klaasen is a bigger draw than he actually is? Are they picking him because he throws quickly? Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against him, but just have no idea why he's involved in this tournament ahead of more deserving others.

I think the fact that Klassen is Dutch played a large part in his selection for this year's PL. Darts is massive over there, and add the fact that Klassen is a pretty boy with a glamorous wife, and you have a marketing man's dream.

The best thing about this year's tournament if course is the incusion of Mervyn King, because his walk-on music is "King Of Kings" by Motorhead. Gotta love that.

OK, so we have:

Taylor

Barney

King

Mardle

Klassen

Wade

Who are the other two?

I think the fact that Klassen is Dutch played a large part in his selection for this year's PL. Darts is massive over there, and add the fact that Klassen is a pretty boy with a glamorous wife, and you have a marketing man's dream.

The best thing about this year's tournament if course is the incusion of Mervyn King, because his walk-on music is "King Of Kings" by Motorhead. Gotta love that.

OK, so we have:

Taylor

Barney

King

Mardle

Klassen

Wade

Who are the other two?

If you had clicked on the link in my original posting, you would know that the others are Part and Terry Jenkins!! Do pay attention, sir!

If you had clicked on the link in my original posting, you would know that the others are Part and Terry Jenkins!! Do pay attention, sir!

You're absolutely right. The sad thing is, I did click on your link - so much for speed reading.

Oh and btw, Ted Hankey is my new hero. He needs to come over to the PDC, sharpish.

Oh and btw, Ted Hankey is my new hero. He needs to come over to the PDC, sharpish.

He disappointed me a little with his "I've cut the beer before games down from ten or eleven, to three or four." shenanigans. I thought that's what real darts was about. Helathy lifestyle indeed, at least he's maintained his darting physique.

Not sure Hankey would be too successful in the PDC. The only player I think might cut it, is Gary Anderson and he's developing a habit of being pap at major tournaments.

Not sure Hankey would be too successful in the PDC. The only player I think might cut it, is Gary Anderson and he's developing a habit of being pap at major tournaments.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference? Don't they both involve throwing bits of metal at a round board? Why would someone be good in one league and not in another?

He will do once deemed good enough to progress from the academy (BDO).

I read in the paper today that Hankey said he had no intention of moving over to the PDC. He feels at home in the BDO and all his friends are there.

Probably move next week then!

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference? Don't they both involve throwing bits of metal at a round board? Why would someone be good in one league and not in another?

For the same reason one team would be good in the Championship (let's say Wolves for arguments sake) and crap in the Premiership. In other words, there's a huge gulf in standard between the two organisations.

In response to the other posts (cuz this is number 3 for the day) I think Hankey is one of the few that could actually cut it in the PDC. He has that fluent, smooth action, and if he upped his practice regime a bit he'd be OK. I honestly don't rate any other BDO players, least of all Anderson, who as a previous poster has already stated, bottles it on the big stage. And that's only the BDO "big" stage, btw. Can you imagine how he'd fare in the Premier League or at Ally Pally?

And yeah, after that denial, expect Hankey to make the move shortly. Tbf, (and going back to the Premiership/Championship analogy) the PDC is where the serious money's at; he'd be a mug not to go.

Thornton is 31st

I agree Lewis must be gutted missing out, but i also agree with another post - Darts is huge in Holland and Klassen has been added for that reason

You're absolutely right. The sad thing is, I did click on your link - so much for speed reading.

He lives by me, in Telford. See him around quite a bit. Always wearing his "The Count" jacket. And a mate of mine helped him out to his car with some stuff in Halfords, in the boot he had loads of already signed darts to hand out to people. Legend. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Is Hankey living a dream world thinking he could beat Taylor

TED HANKEY reckons Phil Taylor is dead scared of facing him on the oche.

BDO champ ‘The Count’ Hankey wants a showdown with his opposite number from the rival PDC.

Hankey, a big fan of Count Dracula and horror films, splashed out £2,000 on a second-hand funeral hearse yesterday to ferry the Prince of Dartness around in style.

Hankey declared: “For some reason Taylor is running away and does not seem keen on facing me.

“He’s scared. He must have seen me hit 42 180s on my way to the world title and perhaps that’s frightened him.

“Phil’s not big on his maximums. He knows that I have the game to beat him.

“I have even bought a new car which we can put him in the back of once I have finished with him.

“I love the car. I am going to get it customised and maybe even put a coffin in the back.

“I’ll drive it everywhere, to exhibitions and tournaments.”

Initial talks are underway to stage a mouth-watering match — the best of 13 sets — to decide the undisputed king of tungsten.

Hankey insists he will play Taylor any place, anywhere and any time — well almost, as long as it is after sunset.

TED HANKEY reckons Phil Taylor is dead scared of facing him on the oche.

BDO champ ‘The Count’ Hankey wants a showdown with his opposite number from the rival PDC.

Hankey, a big fan of Count Dracula and horror films, splashed out £2,000 on a second-hand funeral hearse yesterday to ferry the Prince of Dartness around in style.

Hankey declared: “For some reason Taylor is running away and does not seem keen on facing me.

“He’s scared. He must have seen me hit 42 180s on my way to the world title and perhaps that’s frightened him.

“Phil’s not big on his maximums. He knows that I have the game to beat him.

“I have even bought a new car which we can put him in the back of once I have finished with him.

“I love the car. I am going to get it customised and maybe even put a coffin in the back.

“I’ll drive it everywhere, to exhibitions and tournaments.”

Initial talks are underway to stage a mouth-watering match — the best of 13 sets — to decide the undisputed king of tungsten.

Hankey insists he will play Taylor any place, anywhere and any time — well almost, as long as it is after sunset.

Yes Hankey is living in a dream world. If Hankey is that desperate to play Taylor he would move to the PDC, however he is playing it safe earning his keep on the BDO whilst shouting from the corners. Taylor of course is just doing his job and beating everyone put in front of him, Hankey will be just another statistic should it happen.

I think he is living in a dream world, Hankey isn't a mug, after all he's won the BDO WC twice but Taylor is a class above. It would also be interesting to see if Hankey can handle a noisy crowd, which is something he takes a particular dislike to, more than many other players.

If it does happen, perhaps we could do a 'guess the final score thread" or something like that.

Wasn't expecting Webby to move over to the PDC this soon but I suppose where that's where the real money is so I can't blame him.

The ITV4 coverage of the GSOD and Players Championship has been good and puts the BBC to shame which seems rather antiquated in comparison.

I think he is living in a dream world, Hankey isn't a mug, after all he's won the BDO WC twice but Taylor is a class above. It would also be interesting to see if Hankey can handle a noisy crowd, which is something he takes a particular dislike to, more than many other players.

If it does happen, perhaps we could do a 'guess the final score thread" or something like that.

I agree, I don't think Hankey is mentally strong enough to handle Taylor and historically Hankey has been triggered by the crowd.

He seems quite ****y and likes to give it all the posturing back to the crowd but I think it get's too him and he's a better player when he manages to ignore the crowd.

Taylor has a huge and vocal following and I think they'd get to him before Taylor had got into the swing of thing's.

Anyway, Taylor is in a different world to most darters at the moment, his form has almosr re-peaked, if there is such a thing.

Every now and again Taylor has a bad game, Hankeys only hope of beating him at a major tourament is is he catches him on one of those very few days.

Les Wallace drinks around Shirley. Having said that, I haven't seen him for a while.

My old dear used to be assistant manager in the Saxon in West Totton, (by west totton centre) Les used to play in there a fair bit and also taught me how to throw my first arrows!

Well, Mervyn was awesome last night, but I really don't know what is up with Wade, he seems to have gone to pot. You could tell by his warm up he didn't have any confidence and just wanted to get off the stage. Is he strong enough mentally to come back?

Taylor started slow, but in awesome form after the break. And John Part looks slowly to be getting back to his best.

Another thought crossed my mind: THREE events in Scotland this year, and they still went for Klaasen over Thornton. I don't quite get it!

Gotta love the Premier League - great stuff. Highlight of the night for me, was Mardle sticking it to the sweaties with that fantastic 160 finish to snatch a draw with Jenkins.

Klassen was useless, and Wade is all over the place. I'm rooting for Mervyn King: anyone that walks on stage to the throes of Motorhead will do for me.

Part , King , Taylor, Barney.

Pays 4.4 / 1

Well, 3-out-of-4 aint bad, Hatch. I'm rather gitted that I didn't put money on a Part, King, Wade, Barney combo, cuz that's what I honestly thought would happen.

On another note, Sid Waddell got on my tits last night:

"When Taylor's under pressure, he sometimes loses the weight of the dart.."

Yeah, I got it the first time, Sid. So no need to repeat it 6,938 times over. ****.

Wade looked ominous again last night. I think this fella is going to dominate for the forseeable future.