Wimbledon Tickets

saintrich

How do you get tickets for Wimbledon 2009?

I've looked online and they're like £800

surely this is just an inflated price... what is the normal rrp and where can I get them?

I want to impress my mum for her birthday, but don't bloody want to spend £800

I used to frequent The Championships quite a bit when i lived in london.

How i first got tickets was to do what everyone else does and get there early on one of the days a pay on the gate,i would purchase one of the regular tickets which would allow me access to all the "outside courts"this was excellent value at about £20.

Whilst there i would enter my name several times into the public ballot,from thereon in i always got tickets for the show courts for the next tournament.

Ok,you could not dictate which court you got or on what day but you didnt pay inlated prices,however they were still not overly cheap,again it was dependant on which court they were for and which round.

This probably dosent help your situation for this year but in my opinion you can still have an excellent and this includes value for money if you go and buy on the day.

Time it well and choose a day well in advance,the earlier days are great because plenty of big names are still "in" and they play on the outside courts anyway.

I recall we did not have to que much at all as you are not trying to get show court tickets.

Its a great day out.

Oh,and once you are in you can still get returns from people who have not collected show court tickets, or they have had enough and leave early,theses were free.

Edited by saint lard

As saint lard says, if you go on day one or two (possibly three if there's been bad weather delaying things), you can just queue for a ground pass and you'll get to see some decent players. Think they get you in to all courts apart from Centre, 1 and 2.

Edit: Thinking some more, they might get you into court 2 as well actually.

There are a limited number of show court tickets available on the day at least for the first week of the tournament. However, you need to be in the queue pretty damn early.

A few years back, I managed to get one of the last tickets on Court 1, and I queued from about 5.30am. That one worked out perfectly as the previous days had suffered due to rain so began an hour earlier, and it was hot and sunny all day so play didn't finish until about 9.30pm.

If I remember rightly, there is a small bit of space on Court 2 for normal ground pass holders, but the chances of actually getting in there are pretty slim. Probably only space for about 50 people, and I think it's standing room only.

I go every year on day two get there about 9am, stand in line for 2 hours or so, nice atmosphere and if good weather fine....Then get it and u can get on all the small courts i saw some great plaers last year like gulbis, gasquet and nalbandian. Brilliant day and then watched Murray on the hill. Definetly worth doing, as i think u can still have a graet day of tennis without being on center or number one

Probably been to Wimbledon about 10 times, first off in 1989 when I was a nipper doing some exhibiton tennis there. But I never made it!!

Like the others have said you dont need show court tickets to have a great time. Go in the first week and you will see seeded players on the outside courts. By the second week it will be mostly doubles which is great to watch and juniors.

Get there early whatever day you go, but especially the first few days. I would say for the first week if you are in the queue by 6am you wont have that many people in front of you. Everyone is friendly and the time will pass quite quick. Think gates open at 10am. Bring food and a book for the Q. They now hand out passes to show your place in the queue which helps if you need the bog!!

I have quite often got tickets for the show courts at the end of the day as people have handed them back. Veru good value.

Or if you work/live in London go down after work and get in after 5/6pm for about a tenner. You will still get 2/3 hours of quality tennis.