Replacing Keyboard keys?

hamster

Hi,

I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past 2 hours to replace a 'SHIFT' key and an 'up arrow' key on my Dell Inspiron keyboard. Courtesy of one of the dogs jumping on my lap, the cute little ****er.

I have all the tiny bits of plastic but cannot for the life of me get them to click in place.

I can get a replacement keyboard for about £10 (from HK), my question is, how easy is it to actually replace the whole keyboard, or does anyone know of a local shop who can re-fit the originals at a reasonable cost please?

I can live with the missing keys for now, but really want a permanent solution if feasible.

Many thanks in anticipation and good night for now.

H

It's a piece of p*ss if you know how.

Most laptop keyboards consist of a couple of crossing squares of plastic and a cap (the bit you press).

You have to get the crossing squares lying flat and in place before pressing the cap down over the top.

I recently bought a new battery for it, and rather than take a chance on one from Hong Kong, bought from a UK based sellr. Battery is rubbish and was made in China anyway. Bearing this in mind, would you recomend buying from HK for a tenner, or UK based for around £30 and probably be buying the exact same piece?

Thanks for above advice too AdM.

Laptop, yes s_s.

Getting pee'd off with it now too.

its really easy to replace, there is a strip running along the 'F' keys with a rivet on the right usually, unclip that, undo screws, slide keyboard out.

Remove the cable that links it to the Mobo.

Offer up new keyboard, attach cable, clip in, screw in etc

Changing a key isnt easy on dells, seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the plastic clips, i took another key off to figure out how it should look, made it all much easier