iPhone help...

Pancake

Its a family members birthday soon and I know they have wanted an iphone for ages but cant afford one; so Im thinking of getting together with some others to get one for them... the thing is, they currently have an o2 contract with about 14 months left on it. Now, if we were to buy an o2 PAYG iphone, can we just whack their current SIM card into the iPhone and put the new PAYG SIM into thei current phone?

Cheers in advance.

For the definitive answer just go on the o2 website and ask them, i mean ae you really going to trust the arsehats who post here? ;)

Yes, Im pretty sure Essruu or TheSaint will be more helpful than the YTS kid on the o2 website helpdesk.

Best of luck working out how to actually GET the sim into the iPhone.

Hmmm...

If you buy any unlocked mobile phone and put a contract sim card in it, it will work without a problem.

However I don't think O2 sell the iphone without a contract. I believe even when you purchase them from ebay you are still tied to a monthly contract unless you purchase some crack program which changes something on the phone, then you can phone up O2 and advise them that you would like to cancel the contract (Think you have 30 days to do so in) then you end up only paying for the phone. It's a right muddle though. I wouldn't want to pay for a piece of equipment like that and literally bodge it from day one to get it to work. Best check with Ess though as I expect he'll know exactly what you need to do to avoid the ridiculous £60 a month or whatever you pay for the iphone on a contact. I'd get an itouch instead personally!

If you buy any unlocked mobile phone and put a contract sim card in it, it will work without a problem.

However I don't think O2 sell the iphone without a contract. I believe even when you purchase them from ebay you are still tied to a monthly contract unless you purchase some crack program which changes something on the phone, then you can phone up O2 and advise them that you would like to cancel the contract (Think you have 30 days to do so in) then you end up only paying for the phone. It's a right muddle though. I wouldn't want to pay for a piece of equipment like that and literally bodge it from day one to get it to work. Best check with Ess though as I expect he'll know exactly what you need to do to avoid the ridiculous £60 a month or whatever you pay for the iphone on a contact. I'd get an itouch instead personally!

It is now available on O2 PAYG.

With the SIM issue, not 100% sure as my IPhone came with a sim that specifically said "IPhone Sim" rather than the standard o2 sim. Was probably just a marketing thing though.