Patrick McGoohan Dies

St Landrew

Even as a child, when Patrick's character, in The Prisoner would state... I am not a number, I am a free man, it would ring so true with me. He wouldn't be pushed around. He would decide what he stood for, and what his life meant. And McGoohan himself played those maverick roles so convincingly because he was similar to his characters. And to a certain extent, I have always been the same. I've never unthinkingly followed trends, or fashion, or being into things just cause my mates were. Mind you, they were like minded. Well they had to be a bit similar otherwise we wouldn't be mates.

So it's with quite some sadness for me that a childhood icon of mine has died. I'm getting to the age where they're all starting to pop their clogs. RIP Danger Man.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7829267.stm

Even as a child, when Patrick's character, in The Prisoner would state... I am not a number, I am a free man, it would ring so true with me. He wouldn't be pushed around. He would decide what he stood for, and what his life meant. And McGoohan himself played those maverick roles so convincingly because he was similar to his characters. And to a certain extent, I have always been the same. I've never unthinkingly followed trends, or fashion, or being into things just cause my mates were. Mind you, they were like minded. Well they had to be a bit similar otherwise we wouldn't be mates.

So it's with quite some sadness for me that a childhood icon of mine has died. I'm getting to the age where they're all starting to pop their clogs. RIP Danger Man.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7829267.stm

Would it be wrong to say he is even more free now?

The man from Fantasy Island's died too.

st2-khan.gif

1920 - 2009

LOS ANGELES -- Ricardo Montalban, the Mexican-born actor who became a star in splashy MGM musicals and later as the wish-fulfilling Mr. Roarke in TV's "Fantasy Island," died Wednesday morning at his home, a city councilman said. He was 88. Montalban's death was announced at a meeting of the city council by president Eric Garcetti, who represents the district where the actor lived. Garcetti did not give a cause of death.

"The Ricardo Montalban Theatre in my Council District - where the next generations of performers participate in plays, musicals, and concerts - stands as a fitting tribute to this consummate performer," Garcetti said later in a written statement.

Montalban had been a star in Mexican movies when MGM brought him to Hollywood in 1946. He was cast in the leading role opposite Esther Williams in "Fiesta." He also starred with the swimming beauty in "On an Island with You" and "Neptune's Daughter."

A later generation knew Montalban as the faintly mysterious, white-suited Mr. Roarke, who presided over an island resort where visitors were able to fulfill their lifelong dreams. "Fantasy Island" received high ratings for most of its 1978-1984 span on ABC television and still appears in reruns.

In a 1978 interview, he analyzed the series' success:

"What is appealing is the idea of attaining the unattainable and learning from it. Once you obtain a fantasy it becomes a reality, and that reality is not as exciting as your fantasy. Through the fantasies you learn to appreciate your own realities."