Anybody know about Cisco routers?

Sheaf Saint

I had a look and tried inputing the IOS command like it says on that page but the router doesn't like the command for some reason. I tried it a few times. This is doing my swede in now, I've been messing about with this for the best part of two days!!!!!!

Which command is it failing on??

The process in the link provided is correct but you need to replace at step 6 with 0/38.

Do you want the router to also act as a DHCP server for your local network? If so, then you need to complete the optional setup at step 8 as well. I take it you know what IP range you're wanting to use for any local lan and what IP address you want to allocate to the local lan ethernet interface on the router?

Which command is it failing on??

The process in the link provided is correct but you need to replace at step 6 with 0/38.

Do you want the router to also act as a DHCP server for your local network? If so, then you need to complete the optional setup at step 8 as well. I take it you know what IP range you're wanting to use for any local lan and what IP address you want to allocate to the local lan ethernet interface on the router?

Yeah I've done all that. It's set up as a dhcp server and kicking out IP adresses to the LAN clients OK. I've set the pvc values (0/38) and that's showing OK. It just doesn't let me add the default route, or it does but when I run the connection test using the SDM software it falls down at the 'checking exit interface' stage which means it doesn't have a default route to send the external traffic to.

I've checked with Plusnet and they tell me that they have 5 different servers that I could connect to each time I log in so it's not possible for them to provide me with a 'next hop' IP address.

Yeah I've done all that. It's set up as a dhcp server and kicking out IP adresses to the LAN clients OK. I've set the pvc values (0/38) and that's showing OK. It just doesn't let me add the default route, or it does but when I run the connection test using the SDM software it falls down at the 'checking exit interface' stage which means it doesn't have a default route to send the external traffic to.

I've checked with Plusnet and they tell me that they have 5 different servers that I could connect to each time I log in so it's not possible for them to provide me with a 'next hop' IP address.

Do they require you to connect with a username and password?

Yes

Give this config a go... Just change the bits between the <..> to the correct values for your setup.

no service pad

service tcp-keepalives-in

service tcp-keepalives-out

service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime show-timezone

service timestamps log datetime msec localtime show-timezone

service password-encryption

service sequence-numbers

!

hostname

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

logging buffered 16256 debugging

logging rate-limit 15

enable secret

!

clock timezone GMT 0

clock summer-time BST recurring 3 Sat Mar 1:00 last Sun Oct 2:00

no aaa new-model

!

!

ip subnet-zero

no ip source-route

ip cef

!

!

!

!

no ip bootp server

!

!

interface ATM0/0

no ip address

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

no ip mroute-cache

no atm ilmi-keepalive

dsl operating-mode auto

pvc 0/38

encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer

dialer pool-member 1

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

description LAN

ip address

speed 100

full-duplex

ip nat inside

!

interface Dialer1

ip address

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

ip nat outside

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer idle-timeout 0

no cdp enable

ppp chap hostname

ppp chap password

ppp pap sent-username password

ppp ipcp dns request

ppp ipcp route default

ppp ipcp address accept

!

!

!

ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer1 overload

no ip http server

no ip http secure-server

ip classless

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1

!

!

!

access-list 1 permit

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

line con 0

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

!

!

end

Thanks for the help so far guys, it's been very vaulable.

Right, I've made a bit of progress but I'm still a bit stumped. The router is by all accounts connecting to the ISP OK. The connection tests on the SDM tool are passing as successful and using hyperterminal I can ping the DNS server OK, but that's it. Neither of the PCs on the ethernet are able to connect to the outside world even though they are both connected to the router and receiveing an IP address over DHCP. If I try running a tracert on the IP address of the DNS server from my PC, it only gets as far as the router so there is obviously a problem somewhere between the ethernet and the exit interface on the router.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for the help so far guys, it's been very vaulable.

Right, I've made a bit of progress but I'm still a bit stumped. The router is by all accounts connecting to the ISP OK. The connection tests on the SDM tool are passing as successful and using hyperterminal I can ping the DNS server OK, but that's it. Neither of the PCs on the ethernet are able to connect to the outside world even though they are both connected to the router and receiveing an IP address over DHCP. If I try running a tracert on the IP address of the DNS server from my PC, it only gets as far as the router so there is obviously a problem somewhere between the ethernet and the exit interface on the router.

Anybody got any ideas?

Sounds like a routing problem... Have you checked that the default route is correct? If that looks ok, can you ping and traceroute to 216.239.59.103 (http://www.google.co.uk) from the router?

Sounds like a routing problem... Have you checked that the default route is correct? If that looks ok, can you ping and traceroute to 216.239.59.103 (http://www.google.co.uk) from the router?

YAY! I've sussed it now! I didn't realise that I had to create a NAT rule to associate the ethernet with the Dialer1 interface but I've done that now and it's working. Thank fook for that, I've been tearing my hair out over the last two days with this.

Thanks for your help mate, that config that you posted really helped. :)

YAY! I've sussed it now! I didn't realise that I had to create a NAT rule to associate the ethernet with the Dialer1 interface but I've done that now and it's working. Thank fook for that, I've been tearing my hair out over the last two days with this.

Thanks for your help mate, that config that you posted really helped. :)

No worries... Glad it's sorted!!