Media Work Experience

saintrich

I'm pretty serious about a career in Journalism and start at Bournemouth University doing Multimedia Journalism in Sept 2009, last season I had a blog, where I wrote a few Saints away match reports and this season my away match reports will be on saintsweb.co.uk.

Anywho, I'm looking for work experience opportunities and have been for some time now but without a great deal of success...

Have sent emails to Radio Hampshire, Southampton FC Media department and BBC South Today amongst others and heard nothing back, nada, despite sending the emails again.

Does anyone have any good tips on who to contact personally for Media based work experience ,or of any decent companies in the local area who allow week placements or whatever?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty serious about a career in Journalism and start at Bournemouth University doing Multimedia Journalism in Sept 2009, last season I had a blog, where I wrote a few Saints away match reports and this season my away match reports will be on saintsweb.co.uk.

Anywho, I'm looking for work experience opportunities and have been for some time now but without a great deal of success...

Have sent emails to Radio Hampshire, Southampton FC Media department and BBC South Today amongst others and heard nothing back, nada, despite sending the emails again.

Does anyone have any good tips on who to contact personally for Media based work experience ,or of any decent companies in the local area who allow week placements or whatever?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would contact magazine publishing companies in the area. They are always happy for extra hands at little cost and you would learn a lot in a short time as it is generally always hands to the pump. It won't be journalism immediately but you would get to learn how the publishing process works. Can't offer specific companies as I am based in the north but go to a central or university library and read their up to date copy of BRAD which lists all media firms, make a list and call up the editors and publishing directors (don't email them).

Edited by TopGun

Don't email them. If you're keen, ring them up (before you ring anyone up though, make sure you know their latest edition inside out). Only then should you email to follow it up. You'll probably find that weekly newspapers are the best place to start looking, followed by daily ones. Magazines and broadcasters sometimes aren't quite so forthcoming when it comes to workies - especially the Beeb.

Be flexible and no matter what you do, do not ask what time you'll finish!!

I work in Media Operations from the other side - Press and Public Relations. We set up media facilities and events as well as writing articles for newspapers and magazines, facilitating televison production both news and features etc. My work has taken me around the globe. I have met and interviewed on a one-to-one basis famous politicians, sportsmen, writers, actors and soldiers. So do consider this area too. In many ways it is the best of both worlds.

I work in Media Operations from the other side - Press and Public Relations. We set up media facilities and events as well as writing articles for newspapers and magazines, facilitating televison production both news and features etc. My work has taken me around the globe. I have met and interviewed on a one-to-one basis famous politicians, sportsmen, writers, actors and soldiers. So do consider this area too. In many ways it is the best of both worlds.

Boo to the evil dark side!