Plane Crash - New York

Um Bongo

Seems some plane crashed into the Hudson river shortly after take off.

And everyone survived!

A US Airways Airbus A320 passenger plane carrying at least 150 people has crashed into the Hudson River in New York City.

The plane, which the FAA said was flight 1549 from LaGuardia Airport to Charlotte, is partially submerged.

Rescue boats at the scene have been picking up passengers standing on the plane's wings and officials said it seemed that everyone aboard survived.

Bird strikes disabled two of the plane's engines, officials said.

"There is no indication that the incident is security-related," a homeland security official told the BBC.

Three minutes

A passenger who escaped from the aircraft told CNN: "A couple of minutes after taking off we heard a loud bang, the plane shook a bit and immediately we could smell smoke and fire."

Fox News also quoted passengers as saying that everyone from the plane had escaped alive.

A spokeswoman for the US Federal Aviation Authority, Laura Brown, said it was believed the plane had been in the air for three minutes after take-off when it crashed.

A man who witnessed the crash told ABC that the pilots' efforts had helped ensure a relatively soft landing on the water.

"From my window I saw the plane was coming down below the radar zone," he said.

"I thought it might be a terrorist attack or something but the plane looked like it had difficulty trying to... gain altitude but as it got closer to the water I saw the pilot, he made a last-ditch effort to try to gain altitude.

"And he did that for a few seconds and then the plane just came down and plopped on the water. Had he not done that he would have damaged the fuselage."

Here's a link to the pic I took from my observation deck. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7832390.stm# Edit: oops - I tried to post the pic from my Facebook profile, it also got picked up on the Beeb's site. Its number 5 on this list.

The plane came down practically inline with my apartment building. I was actually playing one of those daft games in the SF arcade when I heard a loud noise. Ten minutes later loads of firetrucks were hurtling past my window heading to the West side highway. You usually see two or three for a normal sized fire, so when I'd seen 6-7 I realized something was happening. Girlfriend called and told a plane had crashed enxt to my apartment, so I grabbed a camera and headed to the gym in my building, then sundeck until the plane moved out of view and finally to the roof where I took the pic.

It never gets quiet in NYC :) I've been here since 2000 and have been through 9/11, blackouts, a steampipe exploding three blocks from my office and now a plane crashes a block away. Crazy.

Edited by NY Saint

Pilot did well, but surely you'd expect him to be able to do that?

Fairly tricky to keep the fuselage from breaking up landing on water. What's more, he seems to have chosen to ditch by a busy ferry port which is really clever!

NY - your pic won't load.

if i were a survivor on that plane it'd take a heck of a lot to get me on a plane again...but i guess taking law of averages into account chances of me being in a plane which crashed would be pretty remote....

nice work mr pilot man. as has been said i dont know of many, if any, landings on water which havn't resulted in fatalities. some may think ah nice smooth flat water, no worries, forgetting planes often have the engines under the wings which act as huge scoops and virtually stop the plane instantly and resulting in it breaking up.

i shall look out for the footage on yewtube shortly...!!

Here's a link to the pic I took from my observation deck. http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v652/38/78/588500578/n588500578_1972770

The plane came down practically inline with my apartment building. I was actually playing one of those daft games in the SF arcade when I heard a loud noise. Ten minutes later loads of firetrucks were hurtling past my window heading to the West side highway. You usually see two or three for a normal sized fire, so when I'd seen 6-7 I realized something was happening. Girlfriend called and told a plane had crashed enxt to my apartment, so I grabbed a camera and headed to the gym in my building, then sundeck until the plane moved out of view and finally to the roof where I took the pic.

It never gets quiet in NYC :) I've been here since 2000 and have been through 9/11, blackouts, a steampipe exploding three blocks from my office and now a plane crashes a block away. Crazy.

more importantly...I hope you never took a title from me..:(

lol - updated the photo link to the image I posted on the BBC's site. Mine's number 5.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7832390.stm#

I shot some video as well but its shaky and quite a distance away. The plane was moving South quite quickly (20-30 blocks) from momemt of impact to when they began to move it into shore over the course of 2 hours.

p.s. DellDays - records are safe. I was actually trying to play the helicopter game but it wouldn't load on my machine.

lol - updated the photo link to the image I posted on the BBC's site. Mine's number 5.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7832390.stm#

I shot some video as well but its shaky and quite a distance away. The plane was moving South quite quickly (20-30 blocks) from momemt of impact to when they began to move it into shore over the course of 2 hours.

p.s. DellDays - records are safe. I was actually trying to play the helicopter game but it wouldn't load on my machine.

good picture...

I would like to live with you now

Being used as massive PR spin by NY mayor... Can't blame him, NY pulling together etc.

Pilot already has the "Keys to NY" etc, if the insurance don't pay US Airways for the aircraft hull loss, I'm sure the Fed govt or the NY govt will be happy to cough for the A320! Propaganda coup in many ways.

I don't why it hasn't struck me before [pun not intended], that engine designers don't offer a domed mask for the engine. It can't be difficult to design what is essentially a aerodynamic meshed deflector that allows air to pass through, but deflects birds and objects. The first time one does its job, it's paid for itself. Something like this [click on the thumbnail]:

BoeingB757_200FTopView.jpg

I don't why it hasn't struck me before [pun not intended], that engine designers don't offer a domed mask for the engine. It can't be difficult to design what is essentially a aerodynamic meshed deflector that allows air to pass through, but deflects birds and objects. The first time one does its job, it's paid for itself. Something like this [click on the thumbnail]:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Saw in one of the papers that there was concern about if the 'deflector' came off, it would cause more damage to the engine then birds would. I don't know alot about planes, but i assume the vibrations would be quite strong.

Saw in one of the papers that there was concern about if the 'deflector' came off, it would cause more damage to the engine then birds would. I don't know alot about planes, but i assume the vibrations would be quite strong.

Sorry but that is just newspaper talk. You might as well ask what would happen if pieces of a plane came off. And actually to assume the vibrations would be quite strong is to misunderstand. If any modern engine vibrates excessively, then it is not performing correctly. And you design a deflector to withstand all that comes at it, and not be excessively weighty. It might even be able to tailor air flow so that it enters an engine more efficiently. That's what good design does. You don't just tack something on and hope it doesn't fall off.

Would reduce the performance of the engines horrifically to the point where it wouldn't be ecconomically viable.

There would be some very difficult technical challenges involved in making it at all. The airflow through the mesh could potentially reach supersonic speeds, which would cause terrible vibration and turbulence which would basically destroy an engine over a period of not too long. You would also have to make a structure massively strong to withstand the force of air rushing into a jet engine.

On top of that, a mesh with space to let enough air into the engine would probably just dice anything which hits it and the bird would still still go in, just in more pieces.

And... this crash and the Ryanair crash in Rome last Autumn are the only airliners I can think of which have been brough down by birds in my lifetime. The chance of the 'fireguard' system developing some kind of a fault and collapsing into the engine would provide far more of a hazard IMO.

Being used as massive PR spin by NY mayor... Can't blame him, NY pulling together etc.

Pilot already has the "Keys to NY" etc, if the insurance don't pay US Airways for the aircraft hull loss, I'm sure the Fed govt or the NY govt will be happy to cough for the A320! Propaganda coup in many ways.

The way the ecconomy is going, I think US will just take the insurance money and stick it in their back pocket. Can't see any US carriers buying new planes for a while.

Fly Boeing FFS

Amen.

P.S. Interesting how the US Air and BA (Heathrow last year) pilots were hailed as heros by the media, but the Ryanair guys in Rome just got ignored. :rolleyes: