Tories go green?

TopGun

To announce their low carbon plans later. Expected to include a pledge of £6,500 for each household for better insulation etc and a plan to modernise the National Grid to make better use of available power.

The Grid plan is a good one. I am aware of one recently announced new power station that has already been privately cancelled because of poor grid connections in the area and a very distant date to improve the connection from NG.

However, easy to make promises on the back of a fag packet. The Tory alternatives to Heathrow for example are fairly ludicrous.

Nice to see 'Dave' copying other peoples ideas again, to an extent. The thing, no matter what he says, when you see how Tories in local government treat environmental issues, I just can't believe he could ever effectively follow through on these plans.

£6,500 per household sounds like an awful lot. What do they expect us to do with that money?

Loft insulation about £300, cavity wall insulation about the same, then what? Can we buy new boilers etc? Maybe that's why Worcester Bosch just announced 1000 new jobs.

£6,500 per household sounds like an awful lot. What do they expect us to do with that money?

Loft insulation about £300, cavity wall insulation about the same, then what? Can we buy new boilers etc? Maybe that's why Worcester Bosch just announced 1000 new jobs.

Which is why it might be considered fag packet policies! If that figure makes provision for all houses to have PV and solar heating roof panel grants (only thing I can think of) then why not make the commitment without the figure? That commitment alone, if put into practice by a Tory government, would drive down the cost of manufacturing and installing solar equipment significantly below £6,000.

To announce their low carbon plans later. Expected to include a pledge of £6,500 for each household for better insulation etc and a plan to modernise the National Grid to make better use of available power.

The Grid plan is a good one. I am aware of one recently announced new power station that has already been privately cancelled because of poor grid connections in the area and a very distant date to improve the connection from NG.

However, easy to make promises on the back of a fag packet. The Tory alternatives to Heathrow for example are fairly ludicrous.

If Steorn come good in February we may not need a grid at all in time. If you don't know what I am talking about, put Steorn and Steorn Forum in your browser and you will find out about what MIGHT be the most earth changing news and technology ever. If, and I emphasize If, it works then the world will never be the same again. It would be the end of the oil countries stranglehold on us, and every oil using country. Perhaps the end of poverty throughout of the world too. Global warming could end as well.

Edited by Handyman

If Steorn come good in February we may not need a grid at all in time. If you don't know what I am talking about, put Steorn and Steorn Forum in your browser and you will find out about what MIGHT be the most earth changing news and technology ever. If, and I emphasize If, it works then the world will never be the same again. It would be the end of the oil countries stranglehold on us, and every oil using country. Perhaps the end of poverty throughout of the world too. Global warming could end as well.

It needs to exist in the first place before it can end......Human influenced that is.

It needs to exist in the first place before it can end......Human influenced that is.

Yes, and the earth is flat, the sun goes round the earth, and man has never set foot on the moon!!!

Anyway that was just an add on to the main object of my post.

Which is why it might be considered fag packet policies! If that figure makes provision for all houses to have PV and solar heating roof panel grants (only thing I can think of) then why not make the commitment without the figure? That commitment alone, if put into practice by a Tory government, would drive down the cost of manufacturing and installing solar equipment significantly below £6,000.

There are other areas of "green" construction for buildings, such as ground source heat pumps, rainwater harvesting (so-called grey water for WC's), natural ventilation, localised treatment plants, etc.

I think they could work well in housing, if they are adopted, but will significantly add to the cost of housebuilding and therefore house prices. However, as with most of these things, the more they are used, the better the technology gets and the cheaper it becomes.

I can think of 4 scenarios in this situation. Either they want...

1. To charitably solve the worlds energy woes - But then you post it all on the internet.

2. Money - But then as someone else pointed out you license it or produce the energy yourself.

3. Scientific credibility - But then you publish it for Peer Review.

4. A quick buck before being discovered to be a fraud. - Then you would have a big PR campaign but keep it all very mysterious.

I have to admit, I knew nothing of Steorn/Orbo before it was mentioned on this thread. Just done some quick research and am sceptical. I've seen this on Wikipedia and I'm even more sceptical:

Recall that Steorn is a former e-business company that saw its market vanish during the dot.com bust. It stands to reason that Steorn has re-tooled as a Web marketing company, and is using the "free energy" promotion as a platform to show future clients how it can leverage print advertising and a slick Web site to promote their products and ideas. If so, it's a pretty brilliant strategy[/Quote]

Guess we'll find out in February.