Laptop/I Tunes

Thedelldays

You install iTunes on the new machine and authorise it to your iTunes store account. You have to manually transfer (CDR, DVDR, HDD) any stuff over that you ripped from CD or from unverifiable sources but any purchases on your iPod will be able to be transferred directly back from the iPod itself and probably won't transfer by any other method.

I think.

Personally, I didn't want to risk losing anything I'd bought so I burned CDs of all the albums I'd purchased first, but it worked fine.

PONTY TRY THIS:One option for unlocking audio books is built into AudibleManager. Audible supports CD burning for most of their titles. When the CD is created, the audio book becomes just like any other CD-Audio disk. Open Windows Media Player, rip the CD and transfer the tracks to a Zen Micro. Keep in mind that a 10 hour book will require about 9 CDs. For a year's worth of Audible books, you may be looking at around 200 CDs to burn and then rip, which takes a long time. The advantage to this method is AudibleManager automatically divides the book into tracks, making it easy to skip through the book to a favorite part or to pick up where you left off.

In addition to the series of steps required to get the book from the Audible file format to a CD and back to MP3 or some other compatible file format, burning CDs isn't infallible. I made a few coasters with the AudibleManager before I realized the Roxio burning engine used by AudibleManager was conflicting with the Nero InCD burning technology that boots on startup on the system I used. The only way to turn off InCD is to end the process from the Windows Task Manager. If your system automatically turns on any background CD burning software, turn it off before attempting to burn a CD from AudibleManager or you will waste time and blank CD-R media burning your books. ;)

But- what if what's on the ipod isn't exactly the same as what is stored on any given PC? Surely this is the most common scenario?

I have stuff on a laptop that was downloaded from a friend's portable HD, plus stuff - mostly ripped CDs on a PC. Some of this stuff has been edited (titles, lists etc) on the ipod only.

I was under the impression it was possible to download everything from the ipod (some kind of work around using it as an external drive)? This would be my the ideal solution for me ie get everything in one place and then use that as the new base for imported CDs and everything else.

I do recall this q being asked on here at least a couple of times before, and there being an answer along these lines. (Plus an annoying person who replied several times saying oh its so easy just look at the apple forums without actually saying how to do it).

Anyone help with this?

There's a program called Touchcopy that I used to transfer all of my ipod content to my PC, by Wide Angle Software. Yuo can find it on their website (I'm not sure/can't be bothered to look at the the rules for posting links here).

Was easy to use - you can download a trial version that lets you do 40 songs and if you like it you can pay about £17 for the full version (if you decide to pay for it rather than obtain it by other means).