Atheist Bus slogans

revolution saint

Any views? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7832647.stm

Personally it's live and let live with me but imagine the outcry if atheists decided to boycott Christmas, Easter and any other religious festival/slogan etc. I have to confess I quite like the idea of challenging the idea of god...seems like religious types can tolerate the idea of other faiths but not the idea that there may not actually be a god.

Discuss.

Agnostic here.........has there ever been proof of God, or any God.....as someone said on another thread. It was a way of controling populations thousands of years ago, and the human race has not grown out of the idea.

Look up into the night sky, can you see heaven?????........nah!!!!!

Agnostic here.........has there ever been proof of God, or any God.....as someone said on another thread. It was a way of controling populations thousands of years ago, and the human race has not grown out of the idea.

Look up into the night sky, can you see heaven?????........nah!!!!!

Not sure if you were being serious about your last sentence but lol if you were. Anyway I can see where the bloke is coming from. If I was in his position and with his circumstances I would do the same thing.

There were slogans on the buses down here about two years ago saying "Let Jesus into your life". I didn't pay any attention.

Any Christians who are complaining about this should ask themselves if their faith is so weak that they would be swung by such an off the cuff remark as this anyway.

There were slogans on the buses down here about two years ago saying "Let Jesus into your life". I didn't pay any attention.

Any Christians who are complaining about this should ask themselves if their faith is so weak that they would be swung by such an off the cuff remark as this anyway.

So far I haven't seen any complaining, though I could of course be mistaken. All I'm saying is I agree with the bloke who walked out.

TBF to the chap it sounds like he's agreed to drive the bus if there are none without the advert available for him.

TBF to his employers, they've found a way of respecting his views in a constructive manner without any loss to either party.

So all in all, a bit of a non-story handled well by sensible people.

What annoys me are the gimps (religious or otherwise) who feel the need to join silly little organisations and then appoint pious-mouthed, clenched-sphinctered, matronly imbeciles to spout off.

Any views? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7832647.stm

Personally it's live and let live with me but imagine the outcry if atheists decided to boycott Christmas, Easter and any other religious festival/slogan etc. I have to confess I quite like the idea of challenging the idea of god...seems like religious types can tolerate the idea of other faiths but not the idea that there may not actually be a god.

Discuss.

Just like to mention that the vast majority of the so called christian festivals were originally pagan festivals used and adapted by the catholic church to appease the masses

If you read his quotes it didn't seem like he was complaining. He seems like a very reasonable guy. It's a bit of a non-story because its been handled well.

No, he's not particularly reasonable at all. He'll only drive a bus with the advert on if there's no other available. Well how very gracious of him. I'm sure we could all learn a lesson off him eh?

What he's displaying is religious intolerance for any view counter to his own.

Did anybody hear Dr Richard Dawkins telling a Bishop that it was "nice you can talk to your imaginary friend" ?

Anyway, I thought the whole point of God is that you BELIEVE, ( or not ); if there was absolute proof that God did, ( or did not ), exist, would that not be on the one hand counter-productive, or on the other completely nihilistic ?

No, he's not particularly reasonable at all. He'll only drive a bus with the advert on if there's no other available. Well how very gracious of him. I'm sure we could all learn a lesson off him eh?

Usually I agree with your views, but you are of course completely wrong.

You are a man of principles so I'm sure you can understand his point of view?

Imagine you were in his job and the bus you were asked to drive had BNP posters all over it? Would you agree to drive that bus or would you stick to your beliefs and ask the company to find another bus for you to drive.

I'm an atheist but I support this fella. It seems that you are more guilty of religious intolerance than him on this one: chastising someone for having beliefs and not wanting to undermine those very beliefs by driving a big mobile advert questioning them.

Imagine you were in his job and the bus you were asked to drive had BNP posters all over it? Would you agree to drive that bus or would you stick to your beliefs and ask the company to find another bus for you to drive.

I'm an atheist but I support this fella. It seems that you are more guilty of religious intolerance than him on this one: chastising someone for having beliefs and not wanting to undermine those very beliefs by driving a big mobile advert questioning them.

I believe there is no god, would I be justified if I refused to drive a bus with an advert for Christianity on it?

Christ on a bike! In some countries these buses would have been torched, but I respect his views and it is good that his bosses have tried to accommodate them. Perhaps this chap may want to consider the damage that his bus is doing to his God's planet next time he fires that 12 year old filthy diesel engined monster up though.

I also wonder if he and others would refuse to ride that bus too? Now that would be a story, as First Bus would have to consider the financial implications of such a boycott.

I would like to point out that I do have my own religious beliefs, but they are my own personal ones and I do not expect anyone else to take them into consideration whatsoever. People do not 'cause' offence in my opinion, people choose to take offence.

Wouldn't it be funny if all atheists actually did burn in hell.

Anyway, the ad only says 'probably' no God

Edited by hamster

I wouldn't pretend to like it but I'd still do the job. Interesting you draw a parallel with the BNP and atheism though. Is atheism as abhorrent as the BNP for Christians? Or is it a question of degree. To further your example would it be OK to not drive a bus with Conservative Party advertisements if you were a Labour Party member? Could you refuse to drive the bus if you particularly dislike a film that was being advertised on it?

Thing is the bus company says it doesn't endorse any of the adverts on it's bus and neither do it's employees. In this case no one is suggesting the bus driver is supporting atheistic beliefs by driving it but by refusing to drive it (unless another isn't available) the bus driver is displaying intolerance for the atheistic point of view. To take your example of the BNP - yes, I fundamentally disagree with them but I do respect their right to hold their views and beliefs (as long as those views remain within the law). It's up to people to make compelling counter arguments and not flat out refuse to listen to those views.

I believe there is no god, would I be justified if I refused to drive a bus with an advert for Christianity on it?

My point exactly.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

In fact, he is as intolerant as Islamic fundamentalists, albeit with a different outcome.

He seems to forget that this country, and his God, espouse free speech and as such he is guilty of bigotry of the worst kind.

In fact, he is as intolerant as Islamic fundamentalists, albeit with a different outcome.

He seems to forget that this country, and his God, espouse free speech and as such he is guilty of bigotry of the worst kind.

Agreed.

To my mind, it is ONLY due to his employers showing tolerance that a lid has been kept on this. Ironic isn't it.

If they had told him to simply do his job (to drive their bus), then this could very easily have escalated IMO, and still could. Just watch what happens if this spawns a facebook group!

Trust this board to blow things out of all proportion! I would that hope that most people would see this as the non story it is. The blokes a christian and would prefer not to drive around in a bus which says there is no god. Most people would consider that reasonable and indeed his employers see where he is coming from. I would also agree with an atheist refusing to drive a bus if there was a slogan which said something like there is probably a god.

Agreed.

To my mind, it is ONLY due to his employers showing tolerance that a lid has been kept on this. Ironic isn't it.

If they had told him to simply do his job (to drive their bus), then this could very easily have escalated IMO, and still could. Just watch what happens if this spawns a facebook group!

His job does not include promoting the fact that in some people's view there is probably no god.

Trust this board to blow things out of all proportion! I would that hope that most people would see this as the non story it is. The blokes a christian and would prefer not to drive around in a bus which says there is no god. Most people would consider that reasonable and indeed his employers see where he is coming from. I would also agree with an atheist refusing to drive a bus if there was a slogan which said something like there is probably a god.

But it's not reasonable to refuse to drive a bus just because you disagree with what's written on it. The slogan was a legitimate point of view and he's not being asked to endorse any view contrary to his beliefs.

Everyone has to do things in their job they disagree with. I work for the government and don't particularly like the conservatives - can I refuse to work for them if they are elected? When I worked behind the bar I had to listen to people spout the most outrageous twaddle - could I refuse to serve them just because I disagreed with them?

Why does there need to be an advertising campaign for a group who believe there is nothing to believe in?

Seems antagonising and argumentitive to me.

So if I formed an advertising campaign to promote the idea that a teapot circled the earth and that teapot is the one true god, though we should call him Trevor, then that would be OK? After all I'm promoting the idea of something?

But if someone promotes the idea of "No God" then that's antagonistic and argumentative? Hmmm, that makes sense.

Tbf, I think it's quite an uplifting statement- Either to atheists or religious people (those open minded enough to realise that they're "probably" wasting their time believing in some supreme being).

I say this because the slogan is true! No one can realistically claim that there is a god, but there PROBABLY is no god. So to me, the message is one aimed at all people to just relax and not take things so seriously.

As for the man not driving that bus, I personally think it's pathetic. It's a message aimed at all people and what it says is probably true whether he likes it or not. Maybe HE should "stop worrying and enjoy his life" perhaps??

So if I formed an advertising campaign to promote the idea that a teapot circled the earth and that teapot is the one true god, though we should call him Trevor, then that would be OK? After all I'm promoting the idea of something?

But if someone promotes the idea of "No God" then that's antagonistic and argumentative? Hmmm, that makes sense.

I like your absurd analogy. I think i'll mirror it to make a similar point.

Should there be adverts on buses saying, 'Films are rubbish. Dont waste your time watching them,' to run alongside those informing jo public of the lastest cinema showings? Not seeing a film is the alternative to seeing one, but do we really need to be made aware such an obvious option?

Believing in nothing is not a belief in my opinion, and it serves no purpose to promote such a stance.

Should there be adverts on buses saying, 'Films are rubbish. Dont waste your time watching them,' to run alongside those informing jo public of the lastest cinema showings? Not seeing a film is the alternative to seeing one, but do we really need to be made aware such an obvious option?

Believing in nothing is not a belief in my opinion, and it serves no purpose to promote such a stance.

There you go, intolerance to another point of view in a single sentence.

If only it were as simple as films yet as far as I'm aware no one has justified a war or jihad in the name of "Iron Man" or "Star Wars".

Not believing in a supreme creator is as equally valid as choosing to believe in one. Why should atheists be denied free speech when it comes to denying the existence of "god"?

Tbf, I think it's quite an uplifting statement- Either to atheists or religious people (those open minded enough to realise that they're "probably" wasting their time believing in some supreme being).

I say this because the slogan is true! No one can realistically claim that there is a god, but there PROBABLY is no god. So to me, the message is one aimed at all people to just relax and not take things so seriously.

As for the man not driving that bus, I personally think it's pathetic. It's a message aimed at all people and what it says is probably true whether he likes it or not. Maybe HE should "stop worrying and enjoy his life" perhaps??

It can't be proven or disproven. There's no degree of probability involved.

There you go, intolerance to another point of view in a single sentence.

If only it were as simple as films yet as far as I'm aware no one has justified a war or jihad in the name of "Iron Man" or "Star Wars".

Not believing in a supreme creator is as equally valid as choosing to believe in one. Why should atheists be denied free speech when it comes to denying the existence of "god"?

Listen to what EM is saying. He talks perfect sense.I'm going to create a nickname for my uncle. I'm going to call him Tom the hat. The reason for this is because I have never seen him wear one :D

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
How about a Roman Catholic refusing to drive a bus that advertised condoms then?

And I think that if the gentleman had been a Muslim or Sikh, many on here would change their stance.

Interesting to note that, although the bus company has a number of buses with this slogan on, and a number of Muslim, Hindu and Sikh drivers; not one seems to have objected.

I personally do not like McDonalds, I really don't.

Their food makes me feel sick, some argue that they are making our children obese, and they account for far too much litter on our streets and laybys. I also pay taxes to have that litter cleaned up.

I accept all of the above because my views are only MY views, end of. Would I be reasonable to not drive a bus displaying a Maccy D's advertisement? No, I would be stupid to do that.

Furthermore, many millions of people in this country have marched, signed petitions and protested about our armed forces' involvement in various skirmishes around the world. Do these same people refuse to ride a bus that has a recruitment poster for the Army displayed on it. No they don't.

Listen to what EM is saying. He talks perfect sense.I'm going to create a nickname for my uncle. I'm going to call him Tom the hat. The reason for this is because I have never seen him wear one :D

This is ridiculous and beside the point. Atheism actually isn't about believing in "nothing" anyway. It's about believing in science and what can be proved and disproved, about testing statements for validity.

Why is it that we can have tolerate people believing that the world was created in seven days, that evolution doesn't exist, that jesus was risen from the dead, that he created water from wine and other miracles and yet the moment people say "actually that's a bit far fetched and I don't believe it" people get worked up?

If I'm being honest then the whole idea of religion seems far fetched and ridiculous. If people choose to believe it then fine but is it so wrong to suggest an altogether more plausible assessment?

Anyway, getting back to the point this is about toleration and it seems that Christians are far less tolerant than their precious bible teaches them to be.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
This is ridiculous and beside the point. Atheism actually isn't about believing in "nothing" anyway. It's about believing in science and what can be proved and disproved, about testing statements for validity.

Why is it that we can have tolerate people believing that the world was created in seven days, that evolution doesn't exist, that jesus was risen from the dead, that he created water from wine and other miracles and yet the moment people say "actually that's a bit far fetched and I don't believe it" people get worked up?

If I'm being honest then the whole idea of religion seems far fetched and ridiculous. If people choose to believe it then fine but is it so wrong to suggest an altogether more plausible assessment?

Anyway, getting back to the point this is about toleration and it seems that Christians are far less tolerant than their precious bible teaches them to be.

Well said, it comes from a - theist, which means disbelief in the existence of a deity. Simply that. It is not, in itself, a doctrine.

What a ludicrous generalisation. That's not my experience I assure you.

Well try and address the point.

What I find ludicrous is the failure to accept another point of view. The idea someone can disagree with the right of someone to hold a legitimate and justifiable view is ludicrous.

Let's see if you can come up with an argument.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Sorry, RS, I agree with hypo here.

The truth is some Christians are less tolerant, the same as some Muslims and that goes for virtually every other religion, except perhaps Buddhists.

Sorry, RS, I agree with hypo here.

The truth is some Christians are less tolerant, the same as some Muslims and that goes for virtually every other religion, except perhaps Buddhists.

Yeah that goes without saying. Obviously I'm not saying all Christians are intolerant - just the ones that post on here .......aw crap, that's another generalisation.

Well try and address the point.

What I find ludicrous is the failure to accept another point of view. The idea someone can disagree with the right of someone to hold a legitimate and justifiable view is ludicrous.

Let's see if you can come up with an argument.

There is no disagreement in this case. The bloke simply does not want to advertise that in someones view there is probably no God because it goes against everything he believes in. As I said, if a christian advertised on a bus saying there is probably a God so enjoy life then I would find it perfectly acceptable for an atheist to refuse to drive it.

Real Christianity actually teaches acceptance, respect and tolerance for others. It is the misuse of christianity by a minority (and I say minority because most Christians in my experience do not ram it down others' throats, it's the vocal minority who let everyone else down.) which causes the problem. Hate the misuse of religion but please don't lump all world religions together. The teaching of christianity and the Muslim faith for example is vastly different.

People despise religion on here a lot but I have seen hundreds of acts of kindness and love displayed by others in the name of christianity. True Christians should not display intolerance for the views of others, but maybe they are just slightly misguided.

My view is that religion is not a terrible thing. Millions of people believe different things but that doesn't make them lesser beings. Nobody truly knows for sure, but I'm not going to start belittling my Muslim neighbour for what I believe to be untrue. Hate the player not the game :)

Yeah that goes without saying. Obviously I'm not saying all Christians are intolerant - just the ones that post on here .......aw crap, that's another generalisation.

There are some very very intolerant views against christianity on here! In the real world I have met many christians whose faith has made them better people. In this case, surely religion is a good thing whether you believe in it or not?

Wish you were this articulate in real life. :( xxx

It can't be proven or disproven. There's no degree of probability involved.

Well...the good book say's that God created man ie Adam and Eve.

Science however, has poo pooed that theory. So what proof do you need.

Whilst I mention the myth, that is Adam and Eve.....should you believe in this, then you must also believe in 'incest'......

Well...the good book say's that God created man ie Adam and Eve.

Science however, has poo pooed that theory. So what proof do you need.

Whilst I mention the myth, that is Adam and Eve.....should you believe in this, then you must also believe in 'incest'......

How were they related?

What Is an agnostic?

An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time. Are agnostics atheists?

No. An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial. At the same time, an Agnostic may hold that the existence of God, though not impossible, is very improbable; he may even hold it so improbable that it is not worth considering in practice. In that case, he is not far removed from atheism. His attitude may be that which a careful philosopher would have towards the gods of ancient Greece. If I were asked to prove that Zeus and Poseidon and Hera and the rest of the Olympians do not exist, I should be at a loss to find conclusive arguments. An Agnostic may think the Christian God as improbable as the Olympians; in that case, he is, for practical purposes, at one with the atheists.