Alternative treatments

Gingeletiss

Have been suffering from major pain in my left shoulder, a trapped nerve according to my Doctor on Thursday. Today, I done something I never ever thought I would do...........I had some Acupuncture done, I must say I was impressed.

What alternative treatment have you ever had??????

Would love to know more about your acupuncture treatment. I am not one for alternative therapies and prefer the scientific approach to rehabilitation/healing. THAT said I have heard so many good reports with regards to acupuncture and more directly it's affect on back injuries that I am considering having it done on a lower back injury caused whilst boxing. It reoccurs every now and then and is a bit of a drag when it does.

So the main question is...Do you think it worked? Did it rectify the problem?

Did it hurt?

Do you believe it to be a long term solution?

(all questions are open to serious responses by all - please note 'serious') :)

Acupuncture for me.

Went to the Dr with knee problems. When I knelt on my left knee it felt like shards of glass were sticking in it. I half expected to be referred to the hospital.

While on the bed she asked me about acupuncture and I said I'd be willing to try it, she explained that she was newly qualified and got out these long thin needles.

She put 3 in, one in the top of my ankle, one just above my knee and one on my calf. I never felt them go in, don't know what she did but that pain disappeared and I've not felt it since.

ive had a full body Reiki healing session.....which is absolutely fantastic!!!...makes you feel completely rested!! ( its a very spiritual treatment, and does wonders if youre stressed)

also had a treatment called The Bowen Technique (sp). i had sciatica a few yaers back and was at my wits end with it, a friend advised me to go n see this lady in sholing to give Bowen a try. its a very subtle muscle manipulation, and does not hurt at all......altho you really feel it a day or so after !!!.......i occasionally get small twinges in my hip now, but it has never re-occured (touch wood)

I went to an osteopath a few times to try and sort out a back problem, and although it felt great for 24 - 48 hours after the appointment, a week after it always seemed to be back to square one. I gave up after about 5 sessions as all it seemed to do was empty my bank account.

I've also tried hypnotherapy (not for the back), but again never really noticed any improvement, so jacked that in too.

I now stick to the finest chemicals that the NHS has to offer.

I went to an osteopath a few times to try and sort out a back problem, and although it felt great for 24 - 48 hours after the appointment, a week after it always seemed to be back to square one. I gave up after about 5 sessions as all it seemed to do was empty my bank account.

I've also tried hypnotherapy (not for the back), but again never really noticed any improvement, so jacked that in too.

I now stick to the finest chemicals that the NHS has to offer.

I think that's the important thing to remember. The rule of thumb is that if they can't sort it after 6 sessions, they won't.

My sister-in-law has been going to a chiropractor for YEARS with no real improvement to her condition.

I keep telling her they'll regard her as a milch cow but she won't listen.

:rolleyes:

So the main question is...Do you think it worked? Did it rectify the problem?

Well...yes it worked, my shoulder felt easier, but this was short termed relief. She told me I would need a seies of sessions.

Did it hurt?

No

Do you believe it to be a long term solution?

Without going the distance with this, I wouldn't know. As I'm taking pain killers and anti-inflamitries as well, then I wouldn't know which was effective.

(all questions are open to serious responses by all - please note 'serious') :)

I was sceptical before I went, I do think I would try this again, but not for this type of injury.

My wife was hypnotised to stop smoking.

She paid about 100 quid and afterwards came out and said 'what a lot of ****** - a waste of time and money - she didn't hypnotise me at all'.

She had saved one cigarette and lit that when she got home. Yep - what a waste of time that was I thought. However she had a couple of drags, threw the rest of it away & that was the last time she ever smoked!!!

That is about 4 or 5 years ago now.

She smoked 20+ a day so was a fairly heavy smoker.

Dunno how/why it worked but it did.

Very spooky stuff but (in this case) you can't argue with the results.

I was sceptical before I went, I do think I would try this again, but not for this type of injury.

You didn't consider returning for a series of sessions then? Any reason for this or did you not deem it necessary for the injury?\

Anyone else considered/had it done?